Crotch Rocket vs Butt Rocket - Anyone switch back and forth? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crotch Rocket vs Butt Rocket - Anyone switch back and forth?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Anyone switch back and forth between sport bikes and cruisers? Any hints or tips, for getting used to one, coming from the other, especially for slow speed stuff?

All this butt talk early in the morning?

Don't do it! Any bike that puts you in the gynecological position is not conducive to good motorcycle control, good ground clearance, and is hard on the tail bone as your legs are not in a position to assist in dealing with less than ideal road conditions. If you're looking for all-day comfort that can still handle corners, try a touring bike like the R1200RT instead.

Actually, I'm looking at going from a Super Sherpa say, to something like a little CBR.

Not a laid back cruiser to a supersport, but something in between to something inbetween the other way.

My issue might be that I'm not locking in tight enough down low, and putting too much weight on my arms.

Or might be something simple such as the difference between high handlebars and clip-ons.

There is a little difference in the amount of turn before steering lock, but not as much as I had imagined there would be.

No tips per say; just take your time until you feel comfortable. It's not really a huge deal after about 10-15 mins personally. I ride the old mans triumph with mini ape hangers from time to time for reference; it's got to be 1' difference in bar height, min.

I don't even know what a Super Sherpa is, but if it's the standard-ish adventure bike that I suspect it is, you'll have no difficulty adapting to something in the CBR250/300/500 series that I suspect you are interested in. All of those have relatively upright seating positions and don't have hair-trigger responses to any of the controls.

I'd rather injure my muscles than my spine. Muscles are much more resilient than your spine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yup, took a while to get used to the cruiser (lets say about three months to get really comfortable about the change) but once I did I wouldn't ever have another SS bike for Ontario roads.
I describe it this way: On a day ride up north hitting the twisties the SS was 100% fun for 10% of the day. The cruiser is 80% fun for 100% of the day.

Frankly I like both, started on small cruisers (too small for me, Suzuki GZ250 and later an s40) and now ride a thruxton which has a more aggressive riding stance. Took a while to get used to but I find it comfortable now. Would definitely be into having a second bike that's a cruiser like the indian scout.

Don't do it! Any bike that puts you in the gynecological position is not conducive to good motorcycle control, good ground clearance, and is hard on the tail bone as your legs are not in a position to assist in dealing with less than ideal road conditions. If you're looking for all-day comfort that can still handle corners, try a touring bike like the R1200RT instead.

I guess it depends on the individual but I often ride my scoot with boots to the wind. No problems with control (fast or slow), spine/tailbone or ground clearance. Tapdances fine through Toronto's clogged arteries. The suspension was upgraded a bit though and I imagine most cruisers could benefit from a similar treatment. We're talking street riding here, not track riding, stunting or off-roadery.

On previous bikes, my legs were too folded under to bear much weight. They were definitely snappier at speed and still great fun but a chore in-town at under 60 kph. I suspect motorcycles and mattresses are similar in the sense that what works for you is awful for me. Granted, most riders are slightly masochistic to begin with but I doubt millions of people are wrecking their spines with enthusiasm.

Back
Top Bottom