Bar wander at slower speeds | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bar wander at slower speeds

huhsure

Got a pretty decent bar wander back and forth at slower speeds. Anything under/around 20kph it seems to want to wander back and forth while anything above the bike acts normal and wants to stay straight.

**** quality gif of said problem.

https://gfycat.com/CostlyFarChickadee

I did just have the front tire changed then had the front wash out the next ride, so the options for whats wrong are pretty big unfortunately.

Any input would be appreciated.

Steering head bearings ?
Tire over/underinflated ?
All the fasteners tight ?

Pressure is good, everything is tight, and to check the head bearing i just had the front in the air and started shaking the front, didn't notice any play/movement.

Pressure is good, everything is tight, and to check the head bearing i just had the front in the air and started shaking the front, didn't notice any play/movement.

Rotating the bars side-to-side, no notchiness ?

Steering bearings could be too tight.

Got a pretty decent bar wander back and forth at slower speeds. Anything under/around 20kph it seems to want to wander back and forth while anything above the bike acts normal and wants to stay straight.

**** quality gif of said problem.

https://gfycat.com/CostlyFarChickadee

I did just have the front tire changed then had the front wash out the next ride,

could be tire issue, wheel tweaked

Give us a hint - what bike is this ?
EX300s for instance use a loose ball and race steering head setup and are VERY sensitive to steering head torque.

Indeed a possibility. If you have the information, retorque the top stem nut to proper spec. just to be safe.

Torquing the stem nut down just locks in the adjustment of the head bearing, it doesn't directly affect the tightness/looseness

Looks like a gs500 or bandit 600. Check tire pressures and head bearings, also wheel alignment.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Torquing the stem nut down just locks in the adjustment of the head bearing, it doesn't directly affect the tightness/looseness

Unfortunately, on an EX300 yes it does. You have to take the top nut off when you take one out of the crate.
The top crown isn't too strong and will flex. Some shops, when they reinstall, tighten the snot out of it instead of using the correct torque spec..
I seen instances where new bikes (less than 1500 kms) have had the SHBs fail.

OK... but not on this bike, which is definitely a GS500

Back
Top Bottom