Gloves - time for a new pair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gloves - time for a new pair

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I am currently wearing the Held Akira gloves which I really like. They are now about 4 years old and the seams are slowly starting to come apart. I like that they are gauntlet, have decent armour, and are very comfortable for extended use because of the kangaroo palms.

I don't really care about waterproof, but it would always be nice to have if it was breathable. I don't prefer leather over textile, as long as the gloves are well made and offer excellent protection. I have separate heated gloves for the cold, so these new gloves would be for wearing above 10deg and throughout the hottest days in the summer. The Held's I had were excellent for this.

From what I know, I would be looking at Held, Dainese and Rev'it - but there are tons of models within these lines and other brands I don't usually check out.

What are you recommending for around $200?
Cheers!

If you know your size look at the outlet section of Motostorm.it . Shipping can kill the deals but if you find other things you like then there are bargains to be had if you combine everything into one order. I got a pair of Spidi gloves for the summer and they became my favourite gloves and bought some Givi stuff and my friend got some riding jeans so we shared the shipping costs. Just switching over to some Klim goretex ones I got from the biker leather deal a few years back now though. The Spidi gloves were marketed as summer breathable gloves and had decent protection on the knuckles and palm (acceptable but not like a racing glove). They were the Sandshield model but they don't have my size anymore so I'm trying to get a few pairs from somewhere else as I like them that much.

People seem to like the Bickell ones.

I have been using Velocity VR Pro for a few seasons now. I have not crashed in them (thank goodness) but being gauntlets with stingray sliders I feel that they would help protect me in an off.

My pairs:

This pic is from a GTA member who crashed with these on the track (I cannot remember whose pic this is):

I have heard nothing but great things about Held so if you stuck with that brand I would not blame you. If you look on the sales forum here there is often left over Velocity gloves from the group buy that people sell within your budget. For the money it is pretty hard to beat the VR Pro.

I found the Velocity XL to be slightly short in the palm and maybe the fingers for me, except the baby finger. It took a couple of years to break them in enough that my knuckles didn't have a pressure point. Handroid XXL are ok but a little gimicky with the cuff closure, and the fingers a little long. I'll probably try some other types..

Shane, just buy whatever Macdoc wears. :lmao:

I am currently wearing the Held Akira gloves which I really like. They are now about 4 years old and the seams are slowly starting to come apart. I like that they are gauntlet, have decent armour, and are very comfortable for extended use because of the kangaroo palms...

How bad are they coming apart? If the leather is still good you could repair your seams. Pls post a pic?

I've got gloves from Jimmy at Velocity for both the summer and cooler weather and very happy with them. Summer ones took a bit of time to get broken in but are super comfortable now, and the cooler weather ones are great as well. Also have a pair from way back of A* for rain and I use them at times but they don't have the protection of the others.

Highly recommend the Velocity ones.

Picked up a decent pair yesterday at Royal Distributing tent /no tax sale yesterday. It might be still on Sunday...

Picked these First Gear TPG Axiomup on a recommendation from another rider - there is a thread in the touring section.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-tpg-axiom-gloves

water proof, liner does not pull out and the D30 armor plus the price is right. Fine with the heated grips. Not really full winter gloves. Other wise it's a pair of $30 shorties from ReGear ..comfortable, marginal protection.

Kid is the one who spends on gloves....he likes the Handroid for the fit.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-handroid-gloves

+2 For Velocity VR Pro. I actually got rid of a pair of Held Phantom II for these. For me it was a better fit and I think it offers greater protection too. It looks a bit on the bulky side but works great. I use it for track but haven't crash tested them yet (knock on wood).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of the Velocity... er... Fired Up Snowmobile like gloves that are amazing in the dead of winter. I should try a pair of his gauntlet heated motorcycle gloves. They would have come in handy on my mini tour to Quebec and back. It was done to about +5 a few nights.

I like the look of the protection of the Velocity gloves. I will say that my Held gloves were super comfortable and gave a really good feeling of the levers and grips.

Sorry I don't have a pic of the seams coming apart. The areas are really small, but it's one of those things where I know the gloves are old and have been used well, so it's just time to get a proper replacement. I can restitch my old ones and keep them as a backup or something.

People seem to like the Bickell ones.

I have been using Velocity VR Pro for a few seasons now. I have not crashed in them (thank goodness) but being gauntlets with stingray sliders I feel that they would help protect me in an off.

I have heard nothing but great things about Held so if you stuck with that brand I would not blame you. If you look on the sales forum here there is often left over Velocity gloves from the group buy that people sell within your budget. For the money it is pretty hard to beat the VR Pro.

Bump for the Velocity gloves.
I've had them all, and these were/are still by far the best.
Crashed in them a few times racing and they protected my hands/wrists and help up pretty well too. Still use my original pair from years ago.
Tried so many others over the years that don't protect very well and fall apart; I now stick with the VR Pro only.

I ended up getting two pairs:)

A pair of Held and pair of Dainese - both are sport touring type and are a good balance between offering decent protection and being very comfortable.

Maybe I'll still get a Velocity pair as well to see how they feel for long distance stuff.

Another bump for Velocity gloves. Have the gauntlets (couple pairs), shorties, and the heated winter ones. Managed to crash test the gauntlets and they held up great, wore them for about 10k kms after the crash test before I moved on to another pair of the same gloves. I really hope Jimmy keeps these available for a long time as I've yet to see a pair of gloves that I'd replace these with.

I currently own 3 pairs of Velocity gloves.
One VR Race. A couple of the seams started to go after 1 season of track only riding (8 days maybe). Had to do some stitching myself, and some by Bickell.
Two pairs of VR shorties (bought on closeout at a great deal). One pair still in packaging - the other pair has almost 2 seasons. Needed some stitching repairs like the race gloves and also a patch placed on top of the right glove to keep some tearing from proceeding further.

They're decent gloves for sure, but I'm not sure they are premium. If I paid full price for them I'd be disappointed, but at the discounted price, they're a great buy.

I currently own 3 pairs of Velocity gloves.
One VR Race. A couple of the seams started to go after 1 season of track only riding (8 days maybe). Had to do some stitching myself, and some by Bickell.
Two pairs of VR shorties (bought on closeout at a great deal). One pair still in packaging - the other pair has almost 2 seasons. Needed some stitching repairs like the race gloves and also a patch placed on top of the right glove to keep some tearing from proceeding further.

They're decent gloves for sure, but I'm not sure they are premium. If I paid full price for them I'd be disappointed, but at the discounted price, they're a great buy.

I've had mine for about a year and put them through 7 track days so far. Not a sign of wear on them. I suppose like anything it's possible to get a bad batch or maybe it could be a difference in fit. Got mine at a discount too =)

Crash tested and finally wore out a pair of Alpinestars GP Pro's and liked them so much I got one pair for track and anther for street 3yrs ago. Street ones have seen 50,000km's and track one's at least 20 days and both look great. Recommended

Back
Top Bottom