Question on lane splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question on lane splitting

sundin4prez

So question, is lane spltting in heavy traffic illegal in Ontario?

I ask because today I was stuck along the gardiner today in bumper to bumper traffic going under 5kmh the entire time.. During this, multiple drivers lowerd their windows to have a quick conversation with me; 4 different drivers encouraged me to split the lane and go upon my way; some claimed that they ride and its "perfectly legal... go for it", or "I have a buddy....". One guy even played around with his phone to claim its legal.

Honestly it would make a ton of sense for me to split, as there was a TON of room, no one was going anywhere fast and I would be cautious enough to not hit anyone.
Of course I dident do it because I am simply afraid of anything that could possibly get me a ticket for insurance concerns.

So guys.... What are the rules when it comes to splitting in bumper to bumper congestion in Toronto?

It's not legal, but I've seen it done and have done it myself on occasion. The problem isn't that it's illegal, it is that there are many drivers in Ontario who resent you getting ahead of them, so they try to block you off the minute they see you coming. Some will blow their horns at you, scream out the window at you, then at the first opportunity try to get ahead of you again - all because they're mad you got past them. I know it's crazy, but that's the mentality here: offensive, competitive driving.

Ever see what happens when you turn on your blinker to change lanes? Do they slow down for you? NO, they speed up so you can't get ahead of them. Until the law is changed to let motorcycles split lanes, it's best to do so cautiously. Only when the traffic is nearly stopped, and only where there is decent room and jealous drivers don't have time to react. Also, make sure the police aren't around.

All legal and good to go until you get caught....then it's a different story. With recent news / events with bikes on everyone's mind I'd be very wary as both commuters, and the cops are not going to be very lenient.

I do it. But always starts when all cars are stopped. Sometimes, I am just forced to do it because the engine heat is just too much to take and I must keep moving.

Most of the lane splitting is done on city roads during rush hour, almost never on the highway unless again, EVERYTHING is stopped.

When you lane filter in local roads, and all traffic is jammed up, I don't see how a cop can really catch you unless you pass a bike cop. even if you pass a cop car, its impossible for them to get you. 2 days ago from woodbine and steels to Elgin and Leslie @ 5pm took me 45 minutes even with filtering. Every single street I tried to take was jammed up, if I didn't filter, It would have taken 90 min.

It's not legal, but I've seen it done and have done it myself on occasion. The problem isn't that it's illegal, it is that there are many drivers in Ontario who resent you getting ahead of them, so they try to block you off the minute they see you coming. Some will blow their horns at you, scream out the window at you, then at the first opportunity try to get ahead of you again - all because they're mad you got past them. I know it's crazy, but that's the mentality here: offensive, competitive driving.

Ever see what happens when you turn on your blinker to change lanes? Do they slow down for you? NO, they speed up so you can't get ahead of them. Until the law is changed to let motorcycles split lanes, it's best to do so cautiously. Only when the traffic is nearly stopped, and only where there is decent room and jealous drivers don't have time to react. Also, make sure the police aren't around.

I get honked at all the time lol......... just makes me chuckle everytime, and I even stop and wave at them lol... kind of like saying, "bye bye" then I go on my way lol... I've had a truck try to throw stuff at me, but missed and hit the car next to him LOL... that was gold.

There are states in the US where lane splitting is legal.
To the best of my knowledge it is not legal anywhere in Canada. Including Ontario.
Roadghost gives an excellent explanation for why it's illegal in these parts.

i thought about doing it but never did, i don't even know how a cop would get to you in that traffic ;)

if i ever were to i'd be courteous, maybe go off the the shoulder, go slow,
only time i'd do it is it there was an emergency somewhere

they have radios, dudes here, headed there, anyone around

i thought about doing it but never did, i don't even know how a cop would get to you in that traffic ;)

if i ever were to i'd be courteous, maybe go off the the shoulder, go slow,
only time i'd do it is it there was an emergency somewhere

The shoulder is a great place to ride if you want to get a tire puncture. There is so much debris there from car accidents, I wouldn't risk my nice tires.

Instead of lane splitting, I try to know where I'm going and plan my route accordingly. It helps to have gps, or know the roads very well or understand how traffic flows from lane to lane and from exit to exit. I commute along the full length of the Gardiner every day and it amazes me the number of bikes I see stopped in traffic while another lane moves freely. If there is an accident, get off the Gardiner and find another route. Yesterday the traffic was really bad heading westbound - maybe an accident of something, but King St, Queen St and Dundas were all moving great - Queens Quay, Lakeshore and Front, not so much.

So question, is lane spltting in heavy traffic illegal in Ontario?

I ask because today I was stuck along the gardiner today in bumper to bumper traffic going under 5kmh the entire time.. During this, multiple drivers lowerd their windows to have a quick conversation with me; 4 different drivers encouraged me to split the lane and go upon my way; some claimed that they ride and its "perfectly legal... go for it", or "I have a buddy....". One guy even played around with his phone to claim its legal.

Honestly it would make a ton of sense for me to split, as there was a TON of room, no one was going anywhere fast and I would be cautious enough to not hit anyone.
Of course I dident do it because I am simply afraid of anything that could possibly get me a ticket for insurance concerns.

So guys.... What are the rules when it comes to splitting in bumper to bumper congestion in Toronto?

Be careful about taking advice from someone who breaks the law while trying to prove something else is legal. You can't type away on a smart phone just because the traffic isn't moving.

If the traffic isn't moving it's filtering not splitting, a less risky move IMO than playing pinball with moving vehicles. Both illegal as is riding the shoulder.

If both were made legal tomorrow I could see the filtering working as the cars aren't moving but splitting at any speed is suicide with our drivers. Don't count on them getting better even if they changed the laws.

You can't type away on a smart phone just because the traffic isn't moving.

If the traffic isn't moving it's filtering not splitting.. Both illegal as is riding the shoulder.

This. Neither are legal. The people in their cars suggesting that both are legal are clueless.

And I agree, even if filtering and splitting were made legal tomorrow the quality and mental status of most people (in the GTA) at least would make it suicidal - someone will get offended that you're "jumping the queue" and turn into your lane intentionally just to "teach you a lesson". Have that happen at a high enough speed differential, and you're doing a superman.

Both splitting and filtering are not legal here in Ontario, and if a cop were to see you, they could ticket you, likely under careless or dangerous (whichever is lower). Those that claim it isn't illegal here are playing on the fact that there is no specific rule in the HTA that directly states it is illegal to split or filter.

Also keep in mind, if you did split or filter, and some idiot driver hits you, insurance is likely to find you 50-100% at fault, as you were between lanes at that time.

they have radios, dudes here, headed there, anyone around

yea theres chances you'll get caught, and not

Point of the thread though it's illegal but I don't know anyone who hasn't done at least one thing illegal intentionally, i mean just look at the people in the HOV with 1 person

That being said I wouldn't lane split just to get through traffic quicker,

Last edited:
Both splitting and filtering are not legal here in Ontario, and if a cop were to see you, they could ticket you, likely under careless or dangerous (whichever is lower). Those that claim it isn't illegal here are playing on the fact that there is no specific rule in the HTA that directly states it is illegal to split or filter.

Also keep in mind, if you did split or filter, and some idiot driver hits you, insurance is likely to find you 50-100% at fault, as you were between lanes at that time.

For future reference, Careless Driving is an offence under the Highway Traffic Act.
Dangerous Driving is a Criminal Code offence.

We should all be lobbying to legalize filtering at a minimum... because this sort of thing scares the hell out of me, and I've nearly been rear ended multiple times (good thing I was watching my mirrors and filtered up)

http://gfycat.com/NewCoordinatedGalapagossealion

We should all be lobbying to legalize filtering at a minimum... because this sort of thing scares the hell out of me, and I've nearly been rear ended multiple times (good thing I was watching my mirrors and filtered up)

http://gfycat.com/NewCoordinatedGalapagossealion

Exactly! ^^

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic one day on the QEW and a crazy accident happened right beside me in the other lane. I don't know how the person rear-ended the other so hard when we were all going so slow.

It was so close I felt the impact. Anyways, I remember saying "Nnnnnnnope!" and I started filtering through the traffic.

Funny how quickly you stop fearing the law when you fear getting squashed even more.

It would be interesting to see how the public perceived filtering if it ever became legal, but I suspect if it became commonplace there would be more than a few cagers with issues about it, mainly the aforementioned "You're not more important than me, go screw yourself" mentality. If there was some sort of campaign that made the public aware of the reasons behind it and the fact it had been legalized, I suspect those issues would be lessened, but good luck getting anyone to spend major $$$ on that sort of media campaign.

Anyhow, my scoot is too big to effectively filter anyways so it's moot for us big cruiser guys, but I can see the benefits.

It would be interesting to see how the public perceived filtering if it ever became legal, but I suspect if it became commonplace there would be more than a few cagers with issues about it, mainly the aforementioned "You're not more important than me, go screw yourself" mentality.

I just got back from a bike trip in Japan and though it is Illegal in japan to lane split or filter, alot of Motorcycles and scooters do anyways. There are even signs in rest stops around the motorcycle parking that tells bikers they shouldn't do it.

However cars don't seem to mind and mostly give you more space. Cops don't seem to care either.

When I was there I wouldn't do it until a scooter or bike did it first and I'd follow. It was super great.

....actually, I lied. I filtered to the front of the traffic queue at lights often. It was too hot not too. lol

Thanks guys for the clarification.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

And just to add to the story it took 45 mins to get from lakeshore and leslie to passing the TFC stadium..

If I was to split it would take 5 mins at most, considering the wide lanes in that area... Oh well I guess I will have to just sit there and chill out.

Also on that trip 2 different cars took it upon themselves to pass me in my own lane at >5kmh as I tend to hug the lane in bumper/bumper traffic so I can see whats going on ahead. Traffic and drivers in Toronto are awful

Back
Top Bottom