Almost bought the farm x2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Almost bought the farm x2

bubbaloo

I have been riding for decades and have my share of close calls over the years but never 2 in one week.
Incident #1
Going south on #30 York/Durham line 6:15 in the morning so its nice and dark, just coming up to Major Mac and a suv heading east to the stop sign at 30 blows through and out onto 30 southbound and stops halfway in my lane. Thank god nothing was coming as I swerved into other lane to avoid plowing into his drivers door. WTF dude. After a few prime one finger salutes and pointing to my eyes I think I got my point across. Lesson. I guess I should have started weaving around my lane like I usually do to get their attention but didn't .Be ready for anything, be in the moment while riding, do not daydream.
Incident #2
Thursday morning about same time heading south on concession 11 that ends at Steeles by the church on the east side of Whittamores farmers market. So I'm almost at the church there is a truck parked on the east shoulder, with its headlights on (severely blinding) and multiple flashing lights, the truck is a dark color. Then I realize its a bucket truck, buddy is in the bucket over the west shoulder with the boom crossing both lanes about 4 ft off the ground. Live road with no signs, no flagman, not even a chipanzee with a candle to warn anyone. Hammer on the binders doing a Freddy Flintstone stop with all anchors deployed and come to a stop 5 ft from being decapitated! Started screaming at the knucklehead asking where his signs or his flagman was and he tells me to go under his f...... boom! I see today they had cops blocking both ends of that road as they are filming.
Do you think I should get a Lottomax?
Beat that .Lets hear your stories.

Number 1 A young lady, ah who am I kidding, some little whore turned left in front of me but stopped short, as did I. It was close. Number 2 I got into a snarly bottleneck so I did what any self respecting mercenary does, bobbed and weaved my way to freedom. Soon after an SUV came after me with horn blaring. I almost number 2'd right there because maybe runned over. These are very recent events.

Just 2 days ago I was turning left, had the green arrow so I went, low and behold after i make the turn about 10 meters ahead some kid jumps infront of me from the sidewalk who fell off a skateboard, I slammed the brakes and stalled...just bought the bike a week ago too. There was a truck behind me, lucky he was paying attention or I would have been roadkill

Don't have any good stories like that. Maybe I​ should buy a lotto ticket.

They are indeed out to kill you, but just don't tell you when and where.

Incident #1: It is possible that a bike's single headlight, that I can only assume he did see, gave him the false information that your bike was farther away than it was. Judging distance is best done with respect to 2 points, and not a single headlight. Or the guy could have just not seen anything, bike, ambulance, bus or otherwise

Incident #2: This is troubling. I'd have called the police to report the situation. I'm glad, though not as much as you, you still have your head.

Daydreaming is very human and natural. Any task that you learn well and do it repeatedly will eventually run on autopilot, allowing us to do other tasks simultaneously, like watch catvertising. There is a whole area of human factors that studies this, and dates back to train conductors. The difficulty with riding is that we share the road with zombies who, if they make an error, will kill or injure us.

Last edited:
OP glad you were fortunate in bot circumstances to avoid the collision. It was exactly one year ago today, that I was hit by the goose, still in recovery mode, (well unless you ask insurance in which case I am 100% recovered)..lmao

Back
Top Bottom