Crazy Toronto accident stat | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crazy Toronto accident stat

Note that it says hit not killed or even injured. 12 of those 1000 were deaths.

It doesn't sound that crazy to me. I try to avoid downtown Toronto altogether because it is a total free for all. Everyone whether it's cars, bicycles or pedestrians has zero regard for signs and signals. It's like driving in another country and this is coming from the city next to it.

I thought it was pretty crazy. 1000 car ped/bike hits notable enough to report to police in about 3.5 months in TO. That's a lot more significant than the few bad-biker thread going on lately here.

I love downtown TO. I don't drive/ride there for enjoyment, been annoyingly slow/busy but never a danger or hazard be it walking or driving/riding. Great fun to park and walk the huge and variable scenes there, it is very enjoyable as there is so much to see and do.

Last edited:
Note that it says hit not killed or even injured. 12 of those 1000 were deaths.

It doesn't sound that crazy to me. I try to avoid downtown Toronto altogether because it is a total free for all. Everyone whether it's cars, bicycles or pedestrians has zero regard for signs and signals. It's like driving in another country and this is coming from the city next to it.

Last week I was in the cage heading south on Mt Pleasant to turn right on Merton. A chick on a bicycle was ahead and signaled to turn right on Merton as well. Arm out and hand up. It was good to see a cyclist following the rules.

On Merton she again signaled for a right turn but she was in the middle of the street and then turned left. Yeah she signaled but there's more than one signal. No she wasn't blonde.

"A gang of pedestrians were walking across the road blocking traffic when a car forced its way past. They punched the driver in the face...car caught fire and blew up..." Evil pedestrians. Crackdown needed....

On my wedding day I was picking up the catering from downtown Toronto and some ******* pedestrians started walking on an advance left at Bathurst and fort York. I lost my **** and began berating them from my car window. Despite being totally in the wrong 3 of them started shouting back.

On my wedding day I was picking up the catering from downtown Toronto and some ******* pedestrians started walking on an advance left at Bathurst and fort York. I lost my **** and began berating them from my car window. Despite being totally in the wrong 3 of them started shouting back.

Regardless of the situation most people don't like losing face by being corrected even if it could save their life.

"There's cyanide in that Koolaid"

"Don't tell me what to drink"

"Wait a minute, I'll get you a bigger glass"

Pedestrians walking around with their noses buried in their phones.

Bicyclists riding with no regard for stop signs and traffic signals.

Bicyclists riding on sidewalks and crossing intersections (riding their bicycle - not walking it) in the pedestrian areas. I'm pretty sure this was what led up to a bicyclist fatality at an intersection a block away from my house a month or two ago.

What do you expect?

Does this include bicyclists riding into pedestrians, as a "double whammy"?

"A gang of pedestrians were walking across the road blocking traffic when a car forced its way past. They punched the driver in the face...car caught fire and blew up..." Evil pedestrians. Crackdown needed....
Ah, now I'm beginning to see where you're getting lost and going wrong.

I'd be curious to see some stats from other cities.

I've been to NYC and a buddy just visited China.

Both of these areas both have a higher population density, and yet they seem to have an organized chaos about them.

While I saw a number of traffic violations in NYC, the traffic friggin moved better than TO and saw no crashes!

Just reminiscing out loud

It's quite common in large cities worldwide for pedestrians to account for ~50% of traffic injuries and fatalities. Europe imposed pedestrian impact standards on cars sold there (since around 2005) because of this.

Downtown Toronto is a nightmare. I moved there In December and it was the worst thing I ever did.

I'm moving to North York next week. Not a solution but better than having to deal with the insane pedestrians and cyclists and those annoying streetcars and their tracks of death.

I'm not surprised their are so many accidents. In May I got in my first Motorcycle accident. It was downtown and it was because some clueless **** for brains cager that decided she liked my lane better than hers.

Downtown Toronto is a nightmare. I moved there In December and it was the worst thing I ever did.

I'm moving to North York next week. Not a solution but better than having to deal with the insane pedestrians and cyclists and those annoying streetcars and their tracks of death.

I'm not surprised their are so many accidents. In May I got in my first Motorcycle accident. It was downtown and it was because some clueless **** for brains cager that decided she liked my lane better than hers.

uhm, how did you not check it out first before you moved there...lol

also how many of them were texting and walking/riding

there are WAY too many things going on for drivers to focus on coupled with pedestrians and cyclists that never driven a car...they seem to think cars just stop on a dime...even when the car has right of way ppl do dumb things

they need to implement a crossing system like England (iirc) where as cars go first then ppl...not both going at the same damn time
also get some 1 way streets going downtown

uhm, how did you not check it out first before you moved there...lol

How did I check out what? Living in Toronto? Kinda hard till you actually live there. lol

I grew up in Brampton and have been driving into and out of Toronto often for decades, but to actually live downtown is different. I didn't realize how Toronto traffic ignores the normal traffic jam times and there will be gridlock at times when there shouldn't be any traffic at all!

Also people say Brampton has bad drivers but the combination of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists in Toronto are waaaay worse. Throw in some street car tracks, roads with huge potholes, and murderous cabs and its all a cesspool that you don't notice till you are in the thick of it.

Not to mention I spoke to people that lived and rode downtown who said it was fine. I didn't realize till I rode downtown with some of them that they enjoy riding to hang out, or ramping....the exact opposite how I like to ride.

How did I check out what? Living in Toronto? Kinda hard till you actually live there. lol I grew up in Brampton and have been driving into and out of Toronto often for decades, but to actually live downtown is different. I didn't realize how Toronto traffic ignores the normal traffic jam times and there will be gridlock at times when there shouldn't be any traffic at all! Also people say Brampton has bad drivers but the combination of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists in Toronto are waaaay worse. Throw in some street car tracks, roads with huge potholes, and murderous cabs and its all a cesspool that you don't notice till you are in the thick of it. Not to mention I spoke to people that lived and rode downtown who said it was fine. I didn't realize till I rode downtown with some of them that they enjoy riding to hang out, or ramping....the exact opposite how I like to ride.
Throw in people coming in from Brampton, Pickering, Hamilton, Richmond Hill, Stouffville, Barrie, Newmarket, Oshawa, Oakville, and all over the map, all with different driving techniques and experiences, mix them all together and what do you get . . .

Throw in people coming in from Brampton, Pickering, Hamilton, Richmond Hill, Stouffville, Barrie, Newmarket, Oshawa, Oakville, and all over the map, all with different driving techniques and experiences, mix them all together and what do you get . . .

Exactly.

It's bloody awful

Back
Top Bottom