Question for roofing peps: | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for roofing peps:

Riceburner

Is there really much difference doing the step pattern when doing a covering wall flashing against brick or just do a straight line? Both are sealed with calk against the wall and not attached to the shingles. I know the idea is to have the steps tuck into the mortar valley. Will have separate step flashing pieces underneath stepped and nailed with the shingles.

faq6-300x225.gif

Last edited:
yes, one is correct, the other is a quick fix. Modern adhesive caulkings make it much easier, but if the caulk fails on a stepped flashing thats set into a mortar joint you have much less water intrusion, the other straight cut just opens into a big wide trough.
Now with waterproof membranes covering a lot of roof joints where a wall meets roof, you have a good seal but the angled cut flashing is a safer bet.

That straight flashing is showing up on a lot of subdivision houses, where they seem to use singles with a 12 month life span and the minimum amount of venting allowed by code. Sad sign of our times.

Beat me to it.
The steps follow the brick mortar and will bond/seal better. More work for the installed but better flashing for you.

OBC required step flashing. I don't have the current version on hand to see if that has changed.

home-design.jpg

FWIW, I built a BBQ enclosure and did ghetto flashing because I didn't feel like spending the time to cut in flashing on 3 sides of the chimney and it hasn't leaked yet. That being said, any leak is still on the outside of the house, so I'm not concerned. If it was keeping water out of the inside of the house, I would do it properly and set the flashing into the mortar joints.

home-design.jpg

Back
Top Bottom