Michelin power slick Evo | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin power slick Evo

mbroyda

is anyone running these tires? if so, what is the recommended HOT pressure?? tried looking all over the michelin site, but can only find cold pressures...

thanks

Max

Are you sure they're cold pressures? Cold pressures are useless with slicks.

Wayne at Kennedy Motorsports is the Michelin guy I believe.

Set the cold pressures to Michelin's guide, then check them again after they've been on the warmers.
As I recall, you're looking for a 10-15% pressure rise (cold to hot) but check them again after you come off the track.
As suggested, the current Michelin distributor can provide you with more detailed information.

Set the cold pressures to Michelin's guide, then check them again after they've been on the warmers.
As I recall, you're looking for a 10-15% pressure rise (cold to hot) but check them again after you come off the track.
As suggested, the current Michelin distributor can provide you with more detailed information.

Ok so what if you get more/less rise between your hot/cold pressures? Deflate and start over?

Cold pressures are irrelivent when using tires desidned to work with warmers. Off the warmers and hot off the track temps are all that matter.

Ok so what if you get more/less rise between your hot/cold pressures? Deflate and start over?

Cold pressures are irellevent when using tires designed to work with warmers. Off the warmers and hot off the track temps are all that matter.

If you don't have any other information to go by, this will at least get you in the ball park (?)

You're talking temperatures, the original poster and I are talking pressures - apples and oranges....

If you don't have any other information to go by, this will at least get you in the ball park (?)

You're talking temperatures, the original poster and I are talking pressures - apples and oranges....

I'm talking pressures. Hot off the warmer, hot off the track tire pressure.

if your quick, rear 24 hot off track, front 34. they are a much thinner tire and thus loose heat quickly, so check right off track, dont get back to pit, remove helmet,gloves ect. do it asap.

if your quick, rear 24 hot off track, front 34. they are a much thinner tire and thus loose heat quickly, so check right off track, dont get back to pit, remove helmet,gloves ect. do it asap.

And you won't get better advice then that!

Are you sure they're cold pressures? Cold pressures are useless with slicks.

Wayne at Kennedy Motorsports is the Michelin guy I believe.

thanks, heard back from Wayne, he confirmed that Michelin does not provide a hot pressure, only cold, he said 23/24 off the warmers is what he recommends

thanks, heard back from Wayne, he confirmed that Michelin does not provide a hot pressure, only cold, he said 23/24 off the warmers is what he recommends

I just looked on their site, clearly states cold pressures but it gives an optimal operating temperature. I still don't understand not giving a hot pressure but they give you a temperature. Oh well, you've got a couple good answers from Wayne and racepro.

You people do realize hot pressures are different for everyone and each track? You must set your pressures at what you may assume they might be and then adjust as you come off the track. There is no "Magic" number. What works for one is not really the same for another. I work to get a 0 increase when on the track. That takes a bit of work. If you get increase you have problems. Hot pressure is directly related to how you ride. So welcome to the new tires, get some good warmers you can replicate your off track temps and also a good pyrometer. Otherwise,, maybe some dice. We had the top 5 at the RACE Superseries on our new stuff. All of the five were taking off track temps and pressures ALL weekend to get the tires to work right. That goes for Dunop,Michelin and Pirelli.

You people do realize hot pressures are different for everyone and each track? You must set your pressures at what you may assume they might be and then adjust as you come off the track. There is no "Magic" number. What works for one is not really the same for another. I work to get a 0 increase when on the track. That takes a bit of work. If you get increase you have problems. Hot pressure is directly related to how you ride. So welcome to the new tires, get some good warmers you can replicate your off track temps and also a good pyrometer. Otherwise,, maybe some dice. We had the top 5 at the RACE Superseries on our new stuff. All of the five were taking off track temps and pressures ALL weekend to get the tires to work right. That goes for Dunop,Michelin and Pirelli.

ok, so how do you assume what your pressure may be if you have never used this tire, and never been at this track? also how do you know what its supposed to be off the track unless the manufacturer tells you?

also, how important is that for the average track day rider?

its all suggestions, i regularly run a different pressure than recommended to get my desired result. I want good wear, some want out right grip which will sacrifice wear. I do start at recommended pressure though.

John, what do you mean by the top 5 guys running our new stuff? Tires? Warmers? Pyrometers?
We had the top finishers in the Superbike class all on our stuff. Less Thomas Casas but he was on the old style with a hotter thermostat.
So Michael Leon,Elie Daccache,Jim Proulx, Thomas Casas and Jeff Williams. Michael,Elie,Jim and Jeff were all on our new warmers. Tires have changed so much this year it demands a new ,hotter warmer. So what you all think is good isn't even close anymore. We stopped making our old warmers because I wasn't happy with the design and the tires needed more heat and more heat in a certain area. To get this I had to go elsewhere.
There is no way anybody can give you a "NUMBER". With Jeff Sunday morning he went to our new stuff over the old. He had a 5 pound increase in the rear. With the new we got that down to zero on the rear. The front was still coming in about 2 pounds lower then he went. We needed one more session to get the numbers. But in the final we got pretty close and the front worked well. These tires are very sensitive and you will not get your best wear or performance if you don't get it. And nobody can tell you what the numbers are because you need to take a base rough number then do a session and then replicate the temp you need and adjust your temperature. Tires have taken a huge change this year,,or maybe we just figured it out. But asking what the pressure is is like asking what main jet do I run in my two stroke?
For the average guy,,well it would only matter if tire life and performance matters. So yes it affects all riders. I worked with a novice rider with some generic warmers. We lent him some good ones and he turned his best times and was amazed at the feedback he got. As well we worked with a fast track day rider and by sending him out hotter he got 1/3 more life out of his tires.
Is it confusing? Yes! But if you want better performance and life then it is sort of necessary. Sorry, but the days of 32/32 cold are long gone!

Are these the new warmers, I believe you were talking about in another thread, that are programable and go up to 120c?
What are guys using to measure the actual temperature of the tire? What seems to be the most accurate?

Are these the new warmers, I believe you were talking about in another thread, that are programable and go up to 120c?
What are guys using to measure the actual temperature of the tire? What seems to be the most accurate?
The programmable we carry and the one we are using goes to 100 C. I am discussing a 120 C model but not sure I can or will introduce that to the general population. "Most" can use the 100 C model just fine. Most guys use an infra red pyrometer. When we use the infra red we just check rim and side wall temp as well as the tread.And ,honestly, for most they are easiest. I use a probe style pyrometer,,but that is easy when you are not coming off the track with gloves and leathers and trying to hold a bike. So tread temp in a few spots to see what the averagae is, check the side wall, and check the rim to see what it is going up to. The rim will help tell you the heat soak you have. If you are getting a one-two lap wiggle,,,then you are not hot enough.

Back
Top Bottom