Question about buying used bikes that are still under factory warranty | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about buying used bikes that are still under factory warranty

Turkleton

If I purchase a used 2015 Yamaha that still has 2 years left on a standard 3-year warranty, will any Yamaha dealership take the bike in for services that qualify under warranty coverage?

The same goes for things like recalls (specifically the R3 clutch plate and fuel pump), would any Yamaha dealership take the bike in and perform the service? Or will it have to be the original dealership that the bike was purchased from?

I'm guessing it's the former and not the latter, but I wanted to make sure before I think about picking up a bike from out of town.

Thanks in advance!

I would think the answer would be yes for warranty and recall work. You know how you can really find out...call a dealer that does service near you and ask them directly.

Warranty is transferable and recall repairs MUST be done no matter who owns the bike.
ANY Yamaha motorcycle dealer can perform either type of repair.
You can call Yamaha Canada customer service (416-498-1911) to make the transfer and see if there are any outstanding issues.

Warranty is transferable and recall repairs MUST be done no matter who owns the bike.
ANY Yamaha motorcycle dealer can perform either type of repair.
You can call Yamaha Canada customer service (416-498-1911) to make the transfer and see if there are any outstanding issues.

Ah good point about officially transferring the warranty. I'll be calling both a nearby dealer and Yamaha Canada. Thanks!

Ah good point about officially transferring the warranty. I'll be calling both a nearby dealer and Yamaha Canada. Thanks!

While you have them on the phone, ask them for the date of your warranty coverage.
I bought a used bike and somehow the warranty started 6 months before the P.O. put the bike on the road. Not much I can do, but at least I know when warranty really ends.

I would be certain first and never assume the warranty is transferable.
For a lot of products, it's not.
Don't phone, send them an email, then you have it in writing.

With BMW bikes the warranty is transferable so I'd presume that the warranty is transferable for other manufacturers. Should be an easy call/email to make.

Back
Top Bottom