bike fell over, now acting funny (carbureted) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

bike fell over, now acting funny (carbureted)

Carbs have been thoroughly cleaned. They looks pretty good to me (cleaned 1.5 years ago), although there was a possible blockage for one of the fuel inlets or outlets in one carb, and a pilot jet or two partially restricted. Hoping that will do the job, but there was nothing that really stood out. will give the spark plugs a look over, and then test tomorrow.'

EDIT: oh and one other thing, we noticed that one throttle body is just noticeably more opened than the other three. Could this be an issue? worth trying to adjust?

If you can see a difference, that's probably bad. When you do a carb sync it's normal for one or more to be open a little more than the others, but the difference is usually tiny. If there's a big difference post-sync something is probably wrong

If you can see a difference, that's probably bad. When you do a carb sync it's normal for one or more to be open a little more than the others, but the difference is usually tiny. If there's a big difference post-sync something is probably wrong

I can see a minor difference when looking closely and shining light from behind while they are closed. They all show a sliver of light, but one sliver is slightly larger with close examination.

Eh. Maybe nothing. If it were me I would sync it anyway to be sure, but I have the benefit of having a sync tool. Anyway see how it runs since you've checked the carbs

trying to fill carb bowls now without killing battery... tried jumping fuel pump to battery and even that is not working. fuel pump clicks on then does nothing?? i can see fuel move around in the filter for a split second but then it stops, and makes no noise.

Going to try again tomorrow with the starter after my battery charges over night.

Up and running again!!! Seems to be back to normal, although have not ridden it yet. Pretty confident that carb clean fixed it though. Spark plugs were black and sooty but i gave them a quick clean and put em back in anyway.

UPDATE: after riding the bike seems like the throttle response is out of wack. It seemed fine when i first started it up in my garage, but after riding it and warming it up i noticed it was really laggy when revving in neutral. Couldn't really tell while riding though.

Last edited:
Are all four header pipes getting hot?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

following the thread. carb sync, valve clearance check/adjust, air filter service, plugs. how long since these were done? carbs should be sync'd anytime you've had them off the bike. sooty black spark plugs are trying to tell you something. a good tune up can really make a difference. and if nothing else, eliminates these things as the problem.

do a compression test. i've seen compression on a cylinder drop as low as 75psi from a tight valve clearance. leave it like this long enough and it will burn the valve. I once had just gotten and paid for a valve clearance at the local honda dealer. I discovered the tight valve myself after doing a compression test. I have done my own valve clearances ever since.

p.s. do the valve clearance/air filter service/ plugs first. then do the carb sync last as it could change with the valve clearance adj/air filter service.

Last edited:
following the thread. carb sync, valve clearance check/adjust, air filter service, plugs. how long since these were done? carbs should be sync'd anytime you've had them off the bike. sooty black spark plugs are trying to tell you something. a good tune up can really make a difference. and if nothing else, eliminates these things as the problem.

do a compression test. i've seen compression on a cylinder drop as low as 75psi from a tight valve clearance. leave it like this long enough and it will burn the valve. I once had just gotten and paid for a valve clearance at the local honda dealer. I discovered the tight valve myself after doing a compression test. I have done my own valve clearances ever since.

p.s. do the valve clearance/air filter service/ plugs first. then do the carb sync last as it could change with the valve clearance adj/air filter service.

you mentioned "black sooty plugs" im assuming that meant all the plugs. this makes me think that there may be an obstruction or debris in the air filter box. perhaps the bike falling over has dislodged something in the airbox and partially obstructed the intake air, slightly choking all four carbs of air? finding a debris nest of tiny pink baby mice in your airbox is...priceless...

Last edited:
Are all four header pipes getting hot?

Yes they are.

It runs well fairly smooth now, almost back to normal, except for some strange behavior with the throttle. Either a slight lag when revving, and/or it hangs for a bit longer than normal, not really sure. Although it is only noticeable when revving in neutral. The other change i noticed today was a cloud of white smoke when I start it up. never did that before either. Other than that, seems to be running OK, and thank god for that because now my car is out of commission.

you mentioned "black sooty plugs" im assuming that meant all the plugs. this makes me think that there may be an obstruction or debris in the air filter box. perhaps the bike falling over has dislodged something in the airbox and partially obstructed the intake air, slightly choking all four carbs of air? finding a debris nest of tiny pink baby mice in your airbox is...priceless...

They were all roughly the same condition yes. The previous owner told me it was purposely tuned to run a bit rich, I can't remember the exact reason, but he said it was common for this bike. Here is a picture of two:
http://s14.postimg.org/ttlk66yo1/IMG_20160925_120456_1.jpg

Last edited:
following the thread. carb sync, valve clearance check/adjust, air filter service, plugs. how long since these were done?

Of that list only and air filter service has been done to my knowledge. Bike has 19k miles.
Carb sync is my next plan, but i'll probably wait until end of the season if I can.

Last edited:
Yes they are.

It runs well fairly smooth now, almost back to normal, except for some strange behavior with the throttle. Either a slight lag when revving, and/or it hangs for a bit longer than normal, not really sure. Although it is only noticeable when revving in neutral. The other change i noticed today was a cloud of white smoke when I start it up. never did that before either. Other than that, seems to be running OK, and thank god for that because now my car is out of commission.

if the white smoke goes away after running for a few minutes it is probally only condensation in the exhaust from the cool weather we've had recently. if it doesn't go away after warm up, and has a kinda sweet smell it is coolant - not good.
i hate to say this after hearing your car is not running, but sometimes you need to put a few nickels into your vehicle(s). do take a look at your air filter and inside the airbox. its easy to do and costs nothing. if you are ready to spend some nickels on a carb sync it is worth noting that freakeyguy has plenty of good reviews here on gta. his reputation shows he goes beyond what most shops will do, and at a more reasonable cost. you can contact him by pm.

Last edited:
If it's at 19k miles and its never had a valve clearance check it should be done, before the carb sync. Hanging idle is easily attributed to valve clearance and/or carb sync.

If it's at 19k miles and its never had a valve clearance check it should be done, before the carb sync. Hanging idle is easily attributed to valve clearance and/or carb sync.

+1 this is the correct order of operations.

1. airfilter service
2.valve clearances
3.carb sync

Last edited:
A high idle and slow recover can be a lean condition. You could try and adjust the idle mixture screws a 1/2 to a full turn out and see if it helps.

You shouldn't mess with mixture for new fueling issues when you haven't changed anything else

I suspected the bowls got tipped and the fuel passages were plugged. I've seen poor carb cleans before and unless they are ultrasonic cleaned, you may not get them back to stock. The mixture adjust would help if it solved the issue baring another teardown and clean. If it doesn't work, easy to go back to normal settings. I cleaned the Ninja 250 carbs twice before sonic cleaning, same with the Gixer. Factory fine after that.

Back
Top Bottom