Muffler hole repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muffler hole repair

smc

Need to fix this:

exhaust_zpsym0ucip7.jpg

The inner baffle is gone in that area as well. Does it need to be completely replaced? I like the look of the stock muffler (yeah I'm a weirdo) and an aftermarket one is $400-500. Putty and tiger tape?

That sheet metal is very thin and difficult to weld. Someone who is good at TIG welding (and that's not me) could cut the bad metal out and weld in a patch in the external skin, and then you'll have to apply some sort of coating to delay (not prevent!) rusting. Barbecue paint won't cut it. It WILL rust again because there's no way to paint the inside of the muffler and the inside areas that have been affected by welding heat.

But ... If the internal baffling is damaged, the above won't fix that. Cutting apart the muffler and remanufacturing the internal baffles and then re-welding the whole deal back together is a pretty significant amount of labour and isn't likely to be a cost-effective exercise. If this is some rare and exotic and valuable bike and stock replacement parts are unavailable then maybe this sort of repair might be what has to be done.

Otherwise ... just find a whole muffler on ebay or whatever and replace the whole thing. Or bite the bullet and buy an aftermarket exhaust system.

Muffler cement etc are temporary get-you-home (maybe) at best. With a hole that big, it will likely just blow out the moment you start the engine.

My two old bikes both have aftermarket exhausts with modern i.e. expendable aftermarket mufflers on them, and the unobtainium stock stuff is in storage in case it's ever needed.

When my old beater car developed a hole in the muffler, I used some sheet metal, a bunch of muffler cement and larger-diameter hose clamps. It didn't look pretty, but it got me another year out of it when I didn't have the money to replace it. CT also sells muffler patch kits... might be worth a look.

When my old beater car developed a hole in the muffler, I used some sheet metal, a bunch of muffler cement and larger-diameter hose clamps. It didn't look pretty, but it got me another year out of it when I didn't have the money to replace it. CT also sells muffler patch kits... might be worth a look.

That's what I was thinking at first, but with the baffle rusted out I don't know if just patching the outside will work. I may have to bite the bullet and pay $420 for an FMF Q4. I'm going to take it someplace tomorrow and see what it might cost to fix.

Back
Top Bottom