Can't shift gears after crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't shift gears after crash

empty

Slid off the road and bike bounced around.
Now there's something wrong with the transmission. Pivot bolt for the gear selector pedal looks like it's sheared or bent big time. Pedal bent right back. I disconnected the linkage to the gear selector shaft and tried to change gears using a pair of channel-loks on the gear selector shaft. Trying to get back to neutral. Couldn't change gears at all. Engine off, selector only moves a little bit but doesn't change gears up or down. Engine on, clutch in (even tightened clutch cable), it made a high pitch rubbing noise when we put pressure on the gear selector, but won't change gear. Clutch out the wheel starts to spin. ( Love the center stand)
The outside of the engine/transmission shows no damage. Gear selector shaft coming out of transmission didn't look like it touched anything. How much damage can jamming the gear shift pedal really hard do to the internals? Is it just bent shift forks or complete transmission rebuild?
Any idea on cost?
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada 821
7b824e15e5ba224c5ac48dfd0ba410bc.jpg

No big deal just apply some heat and make the shifter straight.

Shifter shaft could be bent where you can't see it.
Only one way to find out....

There is no shaft where the shifter is mounted it's just a bolt with the bushing that's all.

Crashed a bike at the track a few years back.
Same thing - couldn't shift. The shift forks were bent. Was cheaper to buy a new to me used motor with 1/3 the mileage than to take the motor to a shop and have them fix it (would have had to split the engine case to access the transmission).

There is no shaft where the shifter is mounted it's just a bolt with the bushing that's all.

It's not the shifter pedal I'm worried about. I disconnected the linkage from the pedal to the selector shaft going into the engine. Put a pair of channel-loks on the selector shaft and still couldn't change gears. Worried about what's inside :(

Same thing - couldn't shift. The shift forks were bent. Was cheaper to buy a new to me used motor with 1/3 the mileage than to take the motor to a shop and have them fix it (would have had to split the engine case to access the transmission).

Do you remember how much transmission service would have been?
I still have a whole bunch of other broken pieces on the bike that need replacing. ....might be better off to walk away from this :(

It's not the shifter pedal I'm worried about. I disconnected the linkage from the pedal to the selector shaft going into the engine. Put a pair of channel-loks on the selector shaft and still couldn't change gears. Worried about what's inside :(

Don't run the engine, make shifter straight so that you have leverage, have someone rotate the wheel while you engage the clutch at the same time try to move shifter up or down applying more pressure. Don't use any pliers type because it will damage splints of the shaft.

Do you remember how much transmission service would have been?
I still have a whole bunch of other broken pieces on the bike that need replacing. ....might be better off to walk away from this :(

Your bike isn't very old. Get the trans looked at and determine first what needs to be done b4 making any decision. What other parts need replacement? pics more pics please.

are you mechanically inclined? if so you could remove the engine yourself (to save a few bucks) and bring to your fav ducati mechanic to determine tranny fix. used parts may be your friend. a good complete running motor from a wreck may be another option if the tranny fix cost is too high.

Last edited:

Was going to suggest the same thing. I would definitely get a few quotes, but I imagine splitting the cases on your bike would be expensive

Your bike isn't very old. Get the trans looked at and determine first what needs to be done b4 making any decision. What other parts need replacement? pics more pics please.

Insurance said its a write off without checking the engine or mechanical. They just went around and took a bunch of pictures and only turned the key to check mileage. They haven't gotten back to me with numbers yet.
Quick list:
Front fairing
Headlight
Windscreen
Handlebar
Front brake lever
Both mirrors
Front turn signals
Right fairing
Rear brake pedal and piece it mounts on
Right passenger peg and arm that it mounts to
Exhaust is pushed in towards tire and sound like it's leaking somewhere.
Rear signals
License plate holder
Gear shift pedal

I know most of this can be fixed cheap if I'm not looking for OEM.

I just don't want to be dropping a couple of grand for the transmission.

I'm in no shape to haul bike to a shop. And the guys answering the phone at the shops I've called can't even guess at what's wrong. They just say bring it in and let their mech. look at it.

Insurance said its a write off without checking the engine or mechanical. They just went around and took a bunch of pictures and only turned the key to check mileage. They haven't gotten back to me with numbers yet.

I just don't want to be dropping a couple of grand for the transmission.

I'm in no shape to haul bike to a shop. And the guys answering the phone at the shops I've called can't even guess at what's wrong. They just say bring it in and let their mech. look at it.

If you have collision coverage, absolutely under no circumstance bother trying to fix this. Let the insurance company make this go away. If you buy the bike back and spend money to fix the transmission and the other stuff, there is no way you will come out ahead

If you have collision coverage, absolutely under no circumstance bother trying to fix this. Let the insurance company make this go away. If you buy the bike back and spend money to fix the transmission and the other stuff, there is no way you will come out ahead

+1

expect a low ball offer from the insurance. on your side the bike is a 2014 (not old) so you can argue for a fair settlement based on year. did not realize you were going through insurance.

+1

expect a low ball offer from the insurance. on your side the bike is a 2014 (not old) so you can argue for a fair settlement based on year. did not realize you were going through insurance.

Yes it's covered by insurance. They said its a write off but next agent hasn't called with numbers yet.

Just thought if buy back was cheap I'd have a winter project.

Update. Insurance wouldn't let me buy it back.

Interesting. Did you already accept the write-off, then propose buy back? I thought (maybe incorrectly) that they had to present you with both options (cash or less cash + vehicle).

Back
Top Bottom