16 yr old insurance advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

16 yr old insurance advice

matt b

hey guys i am 16 and a new rider, i am looking into buying a 2008 kawasaki zx6r or a ducati monster 796, can anyone please tell me which one would be cheaper on insurance and what the costs would be approximately. i am looking at these bigger bikes because i am a bigger guy. Thanks in advance

Well a 600cc for a 16years old we are talking around $8000 a year! Waayy too much $$ - so if you're planning to buy a bike , buy a small cc.

hey guys i am 16 and a new rider, i am looking into buying a 2008 kawasaki zx6r or a ducati monster 796, can anyone please tell me which one would be cheaper on insurance and what the costs would be approximately. i am looking at these bigger bikes because i am a bigger guy. Thanks in advance

Troll?

Most companies will not insure you and if you do find one, im sure it will be absolutely ridiculous.
Even insuring a 125 or 250 at 16 is expensive.

Edit:
Apologies, Good luck finding insurance, and above all be safe

Last edited:
but i was thinking are ducatis maybe a bit cheaper because they are not supersports but are naked bikes

If by ZX6R or 796 you mean 125 or 250...yes...you will get raped on insurance regardless...just a matter of how much you want to get it up the poop chute is the difference. If you have money to burn I personally like the Monster...but that's just me.

Not sure if trolling...

Ask a broker or agent. It's the easiest, most direct and most accurate number you will get. There's a forum here for Insurance discussions; ask someone there.

If you do find a company willing to take on a 16 yr old on a 600cc bike, expect them to ask a King's ransom in return.

Best realistic advice?

-Signup up one of the motorcycle safety courses NOW and get your M2 now before the end of season. Come the spring at least you'll have ~6 months of M2 licence history that might help a bit.
-In the spring call around and get quotes for something in the 250 cruiser market. They MIGHT actually be affordable for you, assuming something in the $2-$3K/year range is what you consider affordable.

The bikes you have listed are not suitable beginner bikes nor even remotely insurable for a 16 year old new rider with zero experience...again, unless you consider 8-10K/year affordable.

Sorry to be blunt, but there's no sense in sugar coating it.

Start on a 250/300. Plenty of pep for around town riding and won't be an absolute nightmare to insure.

As an example for you, my 21yr old step son was quoted $9000 a year for an 06' gsxr600. For a 2016 CBR300, $170/mth, both quotes with 0 riding experience and an M2.

Guess which bike I bought him...

Call up some insurance agents/brokers that do policies for young people, and get firm quotes before you go any further.

Start on a 250/300. Plenty of pep for around town riding and won't be an absolute nightmare to insure.

As an example for you, my 21yr old step son was quoted $9000 a year for an 06' gsxr600. For a 2016 CBR300, $170/mth, both quotes with 0 riding experience and an M2.

Guess which bike I bought him...

You bought your 21 year old son a brand new bike?? Geez, that's a grown *** man how about telling him to get a job?

He's not trolling, he asked the same question on the GTAM facebook group page. The kid actually looks 16 and his parents are probably loaded and buying him the bike.

First off, most insurance companies won't even consider insuring you at a reasonable rate (or consider insuring you at all), on the Super Sport class unless you have your full M. Being as you are 16 it won't be at least another few years until you can get your full M (60 days from M1 to M2. And if you pass 22 months from M2 to M). And you have to have your M for 5+ years. Secondly, some companies have dropped insuring Super Sports, they will only insure touring or cruisers et cetra.

You should read these threads matt:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Insurance-Company-will-give-me-the-best-rate

And here's the blacklist some companies won't insure, yes the Zx-6R is on the list:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...o-prohibited-bike-list-John-R-Duffy-Insurance

This should answer most of your questions.

Last edited:
i had a 650R ninja at 16, insurance was in the low $2000's a year
was rough but i wanted to ride so bad so i worked my *** off for the money

I had a 250 cc cruiser for a first bike. Insurance was $225 per year.

4 vowels...more expensive..same as a Kawasaki. BMW's are $0 insurance.
So it might actually be worth 30 grand+ for a brand new fully outfitted gs adventure. What with the insurance breaks and all.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

kid starting out with major power/capabilities is most often a recipe for disaster

Back
Top Bottom