New GoPro Hero 5 Black | GTAMotorcycle.com

New GoPro Hero 5 Black

48Connor

http://shop.gopro.com/International/cameras/hero5-black/CHDHX-501.html

Looks pretty sweet. Waterproof without a housing, GPS, touchscreen, video stabilization, and voice controls (meh).

Probably the best time to upgrade from my Hero 2. $400usd shouldn't be too bad once its up here on Oct. 2nd.

Also announced today was a new Session, Drone, and Stabilizer.

Anyone else looking into picking one of these up?

Looks like a good jump from the 2. I have the Hero 4 Black. If the 5 did 4k60 i'd be interested but it doesn't. I'll wait for the 6...

Looks around $500 Canadian before discounts?

Has anyone used a drone to film them and follow them while riding?

Most consumer grade drones are not capable of that kind of speed. GoPro Karma (which can't auto-follow anyway) does ~54kph. DJI Phantom 4 tops out at ~72kph. Teal is building a drone that may be able to do 112-136kph, but it doesn't auto-follow either. There aren't many drones that can follow, actually.

Most consumer grade drones are not capable of that kind of speed. GoPro Karma (which can't auto-follow anyway) does ~54kph. DJI Phantom 4 tops out at ~72kph. Teal is building a drone that may be able to do 112-136kph, but it doesn't auto-follow either. There aren't many drones that can follow, actually.

You don't need to go fast.
I would think given GPS technology you synch the drone with your phone/base and it follows that device.

You don't need to go fast.
I would think given GPS technology you synch the drone with your phone/base and it follows that device.

Following isn't that simple. There are lots of obstacles in the air that the drone needs to be aware of and avoid. Even if the space directly above the road is clear (which isn't guaranteed), when you take a sharp corner and the drone cuts the corner, it is quite likely to hit something. You need some decent 3D self awareness and obstacle detection/avoidance. It's probably harder to develop than what they have for cars now (with a much more price-sensitive market).

I wonder hows the sound? Waterproof don't give good sound

I would imagine that too much accuracy in a drone, would allow for "military" applications.

Camera was advertised here for ~$470.
i wasn't happy with the security of the original's mounts, so I'll pass for now.

I would imagine that too much accuracy in a drone, would allow for "military" applications.

Camera was advertised here for ~$470.
i wasn't happy with the security of the original's mounts, so I'll pass for now.

Yes and no. These things don't really have the range to make that useful - if you strapped a water balloon to a consumer drone you would just manually fly it on target anyway. Also, they can't carry much - they are already pretty heavily loaded with their own batteries. The day that somebody tries to use one of these to fly a water balloon into some important person's bathroom is probably not too far away, though.

Fortunately, there's a burgeoning anti-drone technology industry

Apparently it has 3 mics, and chooses the best input for audio. I don't think they have released audio yet.
Sounds good but I never had the need to record things.

...Only when I'm snorkeling in the Caribbean

Back
Top Bottom