Corbin Seat Repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Corbin Seat Repair

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I did a search and did see a few places that were recommended to repair my seat professionally. I went to a good shop local to me (Alpha Auto Trim) and was advised that it would not be worth my while to pay someone to fix this seat because it would be too expensive vs. cost of buying a replacement. So I just bought an exact same model replacement, and would like to see what materials would be best to use to fix my old seat and perhaps use it as a spare. The seat covering is riveted underneath - not stapled. The foam is still pretty good and I do like the seat because it's one I am easily able to do very long days on, but I am also unsure if after over 4years/100k on this seat, maybe the leather has deteriorated to the point where recovering is better than repair?

The damage was caused by my abrasive Kevlar pants and this is known issue with Motoport gear, especially when sliding around on the seat when cornering. Any ideas on what materials could be used to fix this? Even a patch job could be fine with me and then I use this seat only with my Kevlar pants on long trips or something.

Thoughts?

i-DPkptcF-X2.jpg

i-CHTqnkV-X2.jpg

i-SrGdBbw-X2.jpg

I would attempt sending a email to Corbin. These are expensive kit and they should stand behind their product. As a minimum offer a solution to repair at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar tear in my black Corbin seat.
I used electrical tape to repair it.
You have to replace it every few months, but its cheaper than a new one.
And it keeps it from getting worse.

Take it to Doc's Leathers and let him have a look -

Doc's Leathers
726 Queen Street West
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M6J 1E8
phone: (416)504-8888

I thought corbin has a lifetime warranty?
I did a search and did see a few places that were recommended to repair my seat professionally. I went to a good shop local to me (Alpha Auto Trim) and was advised that it would not be worth my while to pay someone to fix this seat because it would be too expensive vs. cost of buying a replacement. So I just bought an exact same model replacement, and would like to see what materials would be best to use to fix my old seat and perhaps use it as a spare. The seat covering is riveted underneath - not stapled. The foam is still pretty good and I do like the seat because it's one I am easily able to do very long days on, but I am also unsure if after over 4years/100k on this seat, maybe the leather has deteriorated to the point where recovering is better than repair?

The damage was caused by my abrasive Kevlar pants and this is known issue with Motoport gear, especially when sliding around on the seat when cornering. Any ideas on what materials could be used to fix this? Even a patch job could be fine with me and then I use this seat only with my Kevlar pants on long trips or something.

Thoughts?

i-DPkptcF-X2.jpg

i-CHTqnkV-X2.jpg

i-SrGdBbw-X2.jpg

To me it looks like the stitching is in a poor location and would wear quickly, Kevlar or not. You could try calling their warranty dept. and check the cost.

What is the Warranty period on Corbin Saddles?
Corbin offers a lifetime warranty on the foam, basepan and hardware with one year on the cover and heater units. This warranty applies to the original owner. Normal wear & tear or physical damage due to external forces (like your dog chewing it up) are not covered under the Corbin warranty. Any problem encountered with the material or workmanship of your Corbin saddle will be repaired at no charge to you. If you have a possible warranty situation, please contact our customer Service department so they may determine the cause of the failure. Customer Service

Last edited:
I checked into getting corbin to repair my seat but the cost was a few dollars less than a new one. Totally wasn't worth it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not the original owner or I would have definitely called Corbin. Yes, I agree that the location of the seam is in a spot that would be in a friction zone and would wear away no matter what - the kevlar just speeds the process up. I was thinking about doing the black tape thing, but figured that wouldn't last long at all since I move around on my seat a fair bit - maybe some balck duct tape?. How it looks is less important to me, as long as I can get more usage out of the seat and it functions properly. I used to ride a KLR after all....

I will try out Doc's Leather's - and that reminds me of the place called the Sandalman on Davenport where I used to take some of my old leather goods for fixing. I'll check them both out since I work downtown.
Thanks!

Dont know if its feasible for you but, I would suggest Triple K upholstery in Niagara. They recovered my entire corbin for a very decent price.

Back in the day, I would have taken it to my local shoemaker.

I've actually taken other pieces of my gear to a local shoemaker in Bloor West Village and he did good work. I will look into that Triple K in Niagara as well - thanks and your seat looks nicely done!

Any equestrian (horse) saddlery should be able to sort that out for you easy enough.

I've had leather track suits, hockey gear and such repaired at a mennonite harness maker, for about 1/3 the cost of any "modern" shop.

I will look into that Triple K in Niagara as well - thanks and your seat looks nicely done!

Yep, this guy is good. He's done four seats I know of, and all are holding up well and for good prices. He's a bit out of town, but send him an e-mail as he often comes with a truck to the winter show. You can bring your seat there and pick it up the same day or next day ....

Back
Top Bottom