Foot out when cornering at low speed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foot out when cornering at low speed

zheka130

Guys, did a search, didnt find anything.

Do you stick your foot out when cornering at low speed or doing a u-turn?

Is that improper technique?

Why/ why not?

Thanks

On gravel riding a supermoto or dirtbike maybe...on the road no. Tarmac doesn't give way...your foot may bend in ways it wasn't designed to.

I have during extremely low speed u-turns in the middle of farm country with nobody around. However at anything above bicycle speeds your foot hitting the ground isn't going to do much, maybe even help send you over. You also risk it getting stuck under the peg, ouch.

On gravel riding a supermoto or dirtbike maybe...on the road no. Tarmac doesn't give way...your foot may bend in ways it wasn't designed to.

And maybe your knee, too...

Slow speeds yes. Whatever increases your stability or confidence

By cornering at low speed, do you mean slower than walking or jogging pace?

I'd say do whatever so long as you're in full control however riding with a leg out at slow speeds screams out of control to me.

At very low speeds (ie. circa walking pace), do not "lean off" the bike. The rider should stay more upright with feet on the pegs and the bike should be leaned over. One thing you give up when a foot is off the bike is the ability to steer with your knees at lower speeds. This way you can prop the bike back up with your bigger leg muscles if you have to suddenly come to a full stop and/or straighten out.

The above would apply to both on and off road at slow speeds.

BTW, I see this everyday with folks turning right or left at intersections. The worst is when the outside leg points skyward. :)

By cornering at low speed, do you mean slower than walking or jogging pace?

I'd say do whatever so long as you're in full control however riding with a leg out at slow speeds screams out of control to me.

At very low speeds (ie. circa walking pace), do not "lean off" the bike. The rider should stay more upright with feet on the pegs and the bike should be leaned over. One thing you give up when a foot is off the bike is the ability to steer with your knees at lower speeds. This way you can prop the bike back up with your bigger leg muscles if you have to suddenly come to a full stop and/or straighten out.

The above would apply to both on and off road at slow speeds.

BTW, I see this everyday with folks turning right or left at intersections. The worst is when the outside leg points skyward. :)

I don't see how the bike would be leaned over at ALL at "walking pace".

You should keep your feet on the pegs whenever the bike is in motion. If you can't do it at slow speeds, practice.

I don't see how the bike would be leaned over at ALL at "walking pace".

You should keep your feet on the pegs whenever the bike is in motion. If you can't do it at slow speeds, practice.

+1

You should be able to move your bike at slow speeds at an almost stop without putting your feet on the ground. It does take practice, but it is something you should learn to do.

No. Police might ticket you.

Yep. When I used to race motocross it was common to put a foot out on tight corners or berms in loose material:

6294_img_4812_603.jpg

(not me...) It can add stability on the loose surface.

For asphalt though, keep your feet on the pegs, unless your traversing some loose material at very low speeds. Bad things are more likely to happen with your feet off the pegs.

Well, unless you're Rossi and braking from a gazillion miles an hour with the rear end dancing around...

x

I love the left/right hand turners that leave their feet down. Gives me a good chuckle to know they couldn't even ride a bicycle.

Depends on the bike; My DRZ would love it when my foot was out near the front fender. Somewhat like this;

3f8d65c9ca1710b70648d5eaaa6f5948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you stick your foot out when cornering at low speed or doing a u-turn?

Why/ why not?

Would that be a left or right turn?

In slow speed turns a bit of rear brake helps control. You do that with the right foot.

On a slow right turn you would be using the rear brake to gain control and then suddenly destabilize the bike by putting your foot out. That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Having different rules for left and right turns doesn't sound good either.

Practice with the throttle and clutch sweet spots.

The exceptions are situations where the bike is drifting and the boots are designed for the slide. Dirt track for example.

Also where the street is consistently slippery due to snow. I rode one winter on a light bike (125cc) and my feet were basically outriggers on the white stuff. It won't work on a half ton Goldwing.

Gravel, or when riding 2up and making a very tight maneuver that even the slightest unexpected weight shift from the pax could cause me grief.

It saved me one time from ending up on my side just this past summer while coming back from Lake Placid and doing a 180 in a gas station. If your going slow enough and anticipating things properly your leg CAN support things and help.

When I'm riding by myself on asphalt, never - feet stay where they're supposed to be.

There have been a couple people say it already - and some great examples of special situations that are definite exceptions.

If you're riding a street bike, unless you're on a really unstable surface, your feet should probably be on the pegs. Since the question was about proper/improper technique, that the easy answer.
Is it tough? do you leave your feet dangling or dab them because you're losing your balance, or because it makes you feel better? I you use your feet to "save" you each time, you won't develop the clutch/throttle/brake control and balance to ever stop relying on your feet. Consider the footpegs as another control, because shifting your weight from peg to peg also helps with control/balance. You don't have to move your body around - just try pushing down on the peg with one foot or the other and see what the bike does. Now dangle your foot off the side and see how much that helps with control.....
The bike will balance fine at normal road speed - finite control at racing speed and walking speed is where rider skills become apparent.

Back
Top Bottom