Foot out when cornering at low speed | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foot out when cornering at low speed

Assuming street bike, slow speed, normal surfaces -

As MudMojo says above, your bike should lean more than you (in contrast to higher speeds where you lean with the bike and even 'hang off where you move more of your weight into the turn).

You'll also notice a difference in operating the handlebars at low speed - you'll have less push-steering effect.

You can apply some rear brake and a little more throttle/slip-clutch to control the slow speed turn better (checkout youtube 'ride like a pro')

Turn your head - look where you want to go.

I you use your feet to "save" you each time, you won't develop the clutch/throttle/brake control and balance to ever stop relying on your feet.

Exactly. If you're cornering tight and get off balance to the inside of the turn an addition of power in combination with good clutch work will help straighten you out and stabilize the turn (which some newbies find counter intuitive), but that's a learned/practiced behaviour, and those who just end up duckwalking anytime they corner at a walking pace will never learn it.

Only time I really do it is if I am just inching forwards for some reason (would just walk it but legs are too short), or inching forwards in traffic where I know I'll have to put my foot down again in 5-10 ft anyways and speeds are around 5km/h or less (eg. stop and go traffic where the car in front moves forwards a foot or two).

Last edited:
You don't have to move your body around - just try pushing down on the peg with one foot or the other and see what the bike does.

I have driven many motorized recreation vehicles, but am new to being on 2 wheels. Thanks for posting this... I played around with weighting the footpegs and it can make very noticeable changes to the bike.

I have driven many motorized recreation vehicles, but am new to being on 2 wheels. Thanks for posting this... I played around with weighting the footpegs and it can make very noticeable changes to the bike.
I'm glad it helped. Nothing will be more effective than a desire to learn, and practical experience to continually improve. Every ride is a practice session.

Depends on the bike; My DRZ would love it when my foot was out near the front fender. Somewhat like this;

3f8d65c9ca1710b70648d5eaaa6f5948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree...my ktm loves the same treatment when getting into tight curves or corners...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

On the few occasions I have seen dirt bike racing, sticking the foot down seems to be a common practice in corners.
Similar to getting the knee down when cornering on a race track.
I agree that putting your foot down on asphalt is probably a bad idea.

Things to consider...type of bike, rider skill and gear...I wouldn't be putting my foot down on a harley for example with regular boots..but on a supermoto with proper gear it's another storey all together...the above picture by superseven explains it all...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom