License Plate Not Visible - WTH? | GTAMotorcycle.com

License Plate Not Visible - WTH?

RKR6

Hey guys,

Drove through a ride check last night with 3 of my buddies. We have nothing to hide and had zero alcohol obviously. Anyways, all four wheeled vehicles get through just fine and we all get pulled over. Big shot cop starts harassing us about our license plates.

Bikes are fully insured, plates are valid and long story short we get fined $110 for "plates not visible". Basically, our plates are raised up a little to protect them from the rear tire bashing into them when going over bumps.

BTW, we bought the bikes like this earlier this year.

I got pulled over on Friday and received a warning for it. Nonetheless, I ordered a bracket and was in the process of getting it fixed next week when the bracket would arrive.

What can be done about this? Should I fight it? Also, will my insurance increase because of this?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Where do you have it mounted?

The stock location on any bike does not require it to be "raised up a little" for tire clearance.

The plate is supposed to be at the rear, not tucked under the fender which is where I suspect you have it.

Thank the crowd of idiots last weekend for the extra enforcement.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

Here we go again...

It's irrelevant if you bought the bike like this, unless the original manufacturer built it like that.

I've never heard of this happening before. more details including pics.

fight ticket
just go in with a photo of the plate properly mounted, show that to the Crown and they will dismiss it.
Meet with them right in the morning in the hallway before cases start in the court...walk over, show pic, leave
or best to sometimes stay to hear your name in the court room and charges withdrawn...lol

attachment.php

This is where the plate currently sits. It's sitting on 2 L shaped brackets.

Cop went on to tell me that there is a big crackdown coming next month and I should let all my riding buddies know...

Attachments

• R6 PLATE.JPG
    R6 PLATE.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 650
Oh, it has happened before. But with last weekend's events, expect plenty of extra enforcement of this. Lots of bikes with improperly mounted plates were involved. If the cops can't find those riders and ticket them for those events, they can at least fish out a few by enforcement of license plates. Sure, it will also get a bunch of other who weren't involved. But the message will be sent to the whole motorcycle community.

If you license plate isn't in the stock location and legal then fix it.

If that requires buying stock parts because you don't have them... That's your problem.

If having a stock legal plate makes people act responsibly because they can now be identified... maybe that's the point.

Thank the idiots for this.

Pic now posted. I agree.... illegal. Put the stock fender back on with the plate at the back whe Suzuki originally put it. Take a photo of it fixed and take that to first hearing with the prosecutor. They MAY drop it. If it goes to court, you lose.

Pic now posted. I agree.... illegal. Put the stock fender back on with the plate at the back whe Suzuki originally put it. Take a photo of it fixed and take that to first hearing with the prosecutor. They MAY drop it. If it goes to court, you lose.

Thanks for the info Brian!

Can you please advise on the whole procedure? I've never had to fight a ticket before...

Thanks for the info Brian!

Can you please advise on the whole procedure? I've never had to fight a ticket before...

read back of ticket

They tend to drop it because the problem was fixed so why waste the judge's time.

read back of ticket

They tend to drop it because the problem was fixed so why waste the judge's time.

They may be a lot less inclined to do so now, especially with a police crackdow under way.

It's about time. If anything, we should be using UK or German size license plates on bikes to make them more reaily identifiable.

Another reason I didn't put a fender eliminator on mines. I don't want to deal with the ********

Your insurance will not increase. This is not a moving violation. Also, get a court date and once you have your plate fixed, take a few pictures with the plate properly mounted, talk to the prosecuter and your ticket will be dropped. Almost guaranteed.

It happened to me twice on two different bikes and the outcome was the same oth times. They just wann amake sure you mount it properly thats all.

Your insurance will not increase. This is not a moving violation. Also, get a court date and once you have your plate fixed, take a few pictures with the plate properly mounted, talk to the prosecuter and your ticket will be dropped. Almost guaranteed.

It happened to me twice on two different bikes and the outcome was the same oth times. They just wann amake sure you mount it properly thats all.

Appreciate the responses everyone! Ya'll have educated me quite a bit on this issue. I have a good idea on how to tackle this now.

Also, Ashtonator, are you sure insurance will not increase because of this?

Just a word, of caution, many are advising that this will basically be an "automatic drop" by the crown. It will depend if the ticket notes indicate that the officer was aware at the time of the offence that you had received the warning, on the previous Friday. IF he ran your plate and the warning popped up and the officer made note of that on the ticket the crown "may" be less likely inclined to drop it.

I understand you had ordered the parts, Hopefully you ordered a STOCK fender, BUT you had been warned that riding with it in the current location was illegal and you choose to continue to ride it in that state. Unless you want another ticket, until that STOCK fender arrives take a drill drill new holes for the current brackets and at least move the plate to the rear most point you can properly secure it.

BTW: I certainly wouldn't show up with the "big shot cop starts harassing me" attitude, you went with here. You had previously been warned, you still choose to ride, and the cop did their job, hardly harassment. Nor the "I got the bike that way" excuse, you also got the bike which can go significantly over the limit. It is a driver or rider's responsibility to be aware of there are any illegal modifications done to their vehicle and if there are then to return the vehicle to it's stock form.

I also believe that the officer's warning of a "big crackdown" coming next month, will likely not be restricted to just plate positioning but will likely deal with all types of modifications, (Loud pipes, turn signals etc etc etc). It is becoming clear that due to the asshats pulling their crap there is going to be a "strong and clear message sent to the riding community as a whole

Last edited:
"Crackdown next month" lol ..

Might be a little too late in the season for that, unless they plan on targetting snowmobiles.

Back
Top Bottom