friend died in a car accident... | GTAMotorcycle.com

friend died in a car accident...

dubz

friend died recently while riding.
i found out through his sister. the story i was told he hit a pothole, lost control, and hit a tree. died on impact.
apparently he was going 30ish km/h and was wearing full gear.

i find it really hard to believe that someone would die on impact at a speed of 30km/h with full gear......

pretty saddened but also wondering if he may have been speeding

EDIT: guess the thread title should be "riding accident"

Last edited:
Well... hitting an immovable object is about the worst thing that can happen to you on a bike. You would be better off if you were ejected towards a car, at least that has a little give to it. The motorcycle helmet is the only part of your gear that has any substantial impact protection - there is no motorcycle suit or leathers on the market that offers much help if your body strikes something that brings it to a stop.

That said, rest in peace

Not hard to believe at all. The concussion would have killed him. People don't realize that if your head comes to an abrupt stop at a speed above 20mph (or 33kmh) it's over. A helmet can only protect you from abrasions and fractures. Bearing in mind that accident investigation is not an exact science, leave a margin of error of ~5kmh and that's it. I'm sorry you lost your friend.

Sorry to hear this. May GOD grant his family and friends the strength they need during this tough time.

Most don't talk about spinal damage.
Most don't wear chest and spine protectors.
The glorified paper towel that came in your jacket they call a back protector is pretty much useless (speaking of most jackets/suits).

Steering damper ppl, even on a small bikes (Ninja 300 etc...), tank slappers are tank slappers.

Hopefully he died instantly.

Sorry for your loss.

As others have said, it doesn't take much if you hit the wrong thing the wrong way. Knew a pillion years ago who came off in a very low speed intersection collision who just landed wrong and that was it. Spinal injury, as -D- pointed out.

Pretty much how you land sometimes...reason why some can be in full gear and get killed, meanwhile others wearing next to nothing get up and walk away.

Sorry for your loss, and may he rest in peace.

Sorry for your loss. I too am pretty surprised to hear it happened at that speed. Pretty scary, I've hit a couple of minor potholes before...

This.

Steering damper ppl, even on a small bikes (Ninja 300 etc...), tank slappers are tank slappers.

Sorry for your loss.
RIP

sorry to read this. its gotta be a freak accident. I read this at work and when I was riding home today and of course stuck on the 404. I went 30km/hr and it was extremely slow... I can't imagine losing control if I hit a pot hole at that speed and I have went down going faster than that.

literally the tree would have to be next to the pot hole... really insane that can happen. again... RIP.

Not hard to believe at all. The concussion would have killed him. People don't realize that if your head comes to an abrupt stop at a speed above 20mph (or 33kmh) it's over. A helmet can only protect you from abrasions and fractures. Bearing in mind that accident investigation is not an exact science, leave a margin of error of ~5kmh and that's it. I'm sorry you lost your friend.

thats patently false. a helmet is designed to crush, to prevent coup-contre coup effect. a helmet will absolutely protect you from impact. I also want to know where you got the idea that a sudden stop from 33kph or more will kill you. It could. speed isnt what kills, its the deceleration that does.

also, i impacted a solid object with my head, moving at an estimated 85kph. very minor brain damage. definitely still alive.

OP. my best friend's father was also killed in a slow accident (sub 50kph). He hit a pole. Spinal cord injuries are deceiving,

Sorry about your loss OP. It's horrible to think that can happen at such a low speed in a freak accident type of scenario. We all go on the bikes each day with the thought in the back of our head that something could happen, hoping it doesn't...but not always.

As a fairly new rider how would a steering damper help in this situation? I've heard of them but never even looked into them.

Sorry about your loss OP. It's horrible to think that can happen at such a low speed in a freak accident type of scenario. We all go on the bikes each day with the thought in the back of our head that something could happen, hoping it doesn't...but not always.

As a fairly new rider how would a steering damper help in this situation? I've heard of them but never even looked into them.

a steering damper won't help you in such low speed, its to control wobble which definitely won't happen at 30kmh. The higher the speed the damper will be more effective. Otherwise, you will never be able to make a Uturn

I don't agree with this. The rider hit a pot hole and probably went into some sort of tank slapper (loss of control). A damper may have damped the effect enough for the rider to maintain control. No guarantees but it may have helped.

a steering damper won't help you in such low speed, its to control wobble which definitely won't happen at 30kmh. The higher the speed the damper will be more effective. Otherwise, you will never be able to make a Uturn

Back
Top Bottom