Declared Sale Price (Used Motorcycle, Taxes) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Declared Sale Price (Used Motorcycle, Taxes)

If you buy used tools or electronic equipment from your neighbour, should you pay taxes on that too?

If the money grubbing scumbags running the show had a way to track it then yeah they'd want a piece of that pie too.

LOL at being "reasonable"

If the money grubbing scumbags running the show had a way to track it then yeah they'd want a piece of that pie too.

LOL at being "reasonable"

You forgot the irony symbol on this.

**** being reasonable. It's not reasonable to charge the tax to begin with. And it certainly wasn't reasonable to raise it to 13% with the HST.

Because if you are not reasonable, you are poking the tax bear to come one day for the whole black book, or whatever color, value. You really prefer that???

Of course tax on used goods is a scam all decent people should oppose to pay, but I have a little control over that as you do.

Like I said there are various situations where you may pay nothing for a motorcycle, including gifts from family or friends, trades on vehicles, or exchange of services.

I've had 3 such situations in the past as a 'seller' and 'buyer' where no money was exchanged and $0's recorded.

Like I said there are various situations where you may pay nothing for a motorcycle

None of which consist of the typical (99%) type of transaction, so no sense trying to hide behind that as justification.

If you DO buy something that's worth way less than book value you go get it appraised and then you DO pay the taxes on that amount instead, simple.

$100 is the minimum you can put. I had a used parts bike tossed in a deal once. It was basically a frame and engine. I registered it in case I wanted to use that frame down the road. Cost me a whopping $13 in taxes for something I got for basically free.

The Gov charging tax on a USED PRIVATE vehicle sale is ridiculous. If you buy a used bike from a dealership or actual business, fair enough.

If you buy used tools or electronic equipment from your neighbour, should you pay taxes on that too?

$100 is not the minimum. That couldn't be more wrong.

I've sold near new bikes for $1.52 (price of large DD at the time)
I've also sold a $60K+ car for the same.
Every vehicle I sell states "As is" or "Needs repair" on the receipt.

yes it does... was a couple years ago.
"As is" and "needs repair"

And when called...
"Wow, holy crap, he actually put that thing back together... well, good on him" ... or something like that.

Last edited:
Am I the only honest person in this whole God-forsaken country?

yes it does... was a couple years ago.
"As is" and "needs repair"

And when called...
"Wow, holy crap, he actually put that thing back together... well, good on him" ... or something like that.

Doesnt matter. For cars, Value on the UVIP is what you pay taxes on.

If you can get it appraised at a lower value, then you pay what the appraiser puts down as the value. Back in my university days I bought a winter beater that cost significantly less than the UVIP minimum value, the MTO wouldn't take the actual value written by the seller on the UVIP bill of sale as the taxable value. I ended up paying more in taxes than what I actually paid for it. The only way to reduce the tax was to get it appraised at the actual value, but the appraisers charge like $250, so it would've been the same or more expensive to go down this road. In the end, not worth it...

If the appraiser is just going to under or over value something based upon a client's whim, then they're not really an appraiser, just a flunky who can be bought by the highest bidder, and not to be trusted.

Nothing has changed for decades. Stop being such scaredy cats guys.
If someone wants to declare $100 or $1, that's their business.
Stop preaching about what people should or should not do and about how righteous some of you are.
Every time this topic comes up....

... And what letters? Almost nobody ever gets them. And if they do, recycling bin is the best place for them. Gov't simply fishing for money.

Man. There is so much wrong information in this thread. Why do so many people feel the need to answer questions they don't know the answer to?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I was at the service canada office with the buyer when the ownership changed names and the taxes were paid. I went because we thought it was going to be more difficult then it was... couple questions about the state of the car and done.

Am I the only honest person in this whole God-forsaken country?

Well, the government is pretty honest. Vehicles are part of a legal framework that involves government infrastructure. None of that is free and vehicles are pretty damn useful. Therefore, they want a cut of the transaction. New or used is only relevant for determining the tax amount.

Even if we magically eliminated the lure of boondoggles and bureaucratic incompetence, modern societies would still be phenomenally expensive to build and maintain. The fact that so many citizens think they're honest while abusing the last remnants of an honour system is pretty interesting.

Man. There is so much wrong information in this thread. Why do so many people feel the need to answer questions they don't know the answer to?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

This.

Go register the bike for whatever you want....don't publicly say it cuz you'll get the for/against reponses all the time.

I mean, what will you do if it doesn't work out for you? "The people on GTAM said to do it and it'll be fine..."

It works for some, it doesn't for others. Are you willing to chance it for a few hundred?

Back
Top Bottom