Buying A Ducati 848 Evo | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying A Ducati 848 Evo

don23

Hey,

I never really looked into ducati's but I am starting to. Looking to get an 848 evo (used) and was wondering if there was anything particular to look out for, i.e. specific maintenance at certain intervals that are very important.

I've found that the timing belt is something to be changed at 12,000kms and is quite needed, not sure about other things but if anyone can chime in please do.

I'm trying to avoid getting a ducati and ending up with extra maintenance costs right off the bat, I know down the line it's inevitable

Question, is a 848 evo in the 15000km's with no timing belt change due for one? Seller says it was checked with the 12000km maintenance and only adjusted the valves

Also if anyone wants to make some quick cash, if someone experienced wants to take a look at the bike before i buy it i'd give you some coin

Last edited:
@don23 there may be a few members that are able to check out bikes for you. Where are you located?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

ducatis are expensive, both to purchase and maintain, sounds to me like you dont like to spend a lot of time and money on maintenance and repair, might i suggest something more dependable and economical?

ducatis are expensive, both to purchase and maintain, sounds to me like you dont like to spend a lot of time and money on maintenance and repair, might i suggest something more dependable and economical?

It sounds like he doesn't want to overlook something and have to spend a bunch of money right after buying a bike.

+1 Sounds like you'd have to be motivated to own one. Theory aside, what would one do at timing belt interval during the riding season when the duck shop is overwhelmed? Post scathing reviews I would imagine. All that glitters is not gold.

@don23 there may be a few members that are able to check out bikes for you. Where are you located?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

markham, ontario

thanks for the quick reply!

What I mean is if 2 same model/year/km ducat's are for sale, one has the $1000 timing belt service done and the other doesn't, then one is technically $1000 more expensive even if they're asking for the same price.

If there's other costly maintenance that I should ask about, I'd like to know so i'm not paying service fees right after purchasing the bike. (like brake, clutch, filters,seals, etc.) I really don't know much about bikes, let alone ducati's in terms of costly maintenences

But....I am open to idea's, other bike suggestions? I was thinking of a Yamaha R1

Last edited:
markham, ontario

I really don't know much about bikes, let alone ducati's in terms of costly maintenences

But....I am open to idea's, other bike suggestions? I was thinking of a Yamaha R1

You have 2 posts and dont know much about bikes, how long have you been riding man? If the answer is not long, why you looking at ducatis and R1s?
If your new, i would look at something else

To answer your question, i would ask for safety, and bring someone along to inspect the bike with you, someone who is mechanically skilled and or has decent riding experience and knows what to look for.

You have 2 posts and dont know much about bikes, how long have you been riding man? If the answer is not long, why you looking at ducatis and R1s?
If your new, i would look at something else

To answer your question, i would ask for safety, and bring someone along to inspect the bike with you, someone who is mechanically skilled and or has decent riding experience and knows what to look for.

I was riding a 600 2 years ago for a couple of years, it wasn't taken care by me

Did you look for insurance quotes on the Ducati and the R1? :D

Ducati maintenance can be pricey, but in my experience those who own them are usually pretty good at keeping those things up. Expect $125/hr for Labour costs if you're going to be using dealerships to perform maintenance (e.g., oil change = $60 for synthetic oil, $20 for filter and $80 in Labour). Had a valve service done by an independent Ducati mechanic and it was in the $600 neighborhood. I can't recite the 848 maintenance intervals off the top of my head but the owners manual is available online http://m.canada.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

if you're looking at dropping thousands of dollars on a toy, it may be worth 30 minutes of reading.

PS, spending 6-800 on maintenance is way cheaper than ignoring the work and having a major engine repair on your hands.

PS, spending 6-800 on maintenance is way cheaper than ignoring the work and having a major engine repair on your hands.

or buy a japanese bike and dont have to spend that amonut at all ;)

Ducati maintenance can be pricey, but in my experience those who own them are usually pretty good at keeping those things up. Expect $125/hr for Labour costs if you're going to be using dealerships to perform maintenance (e.g., oil change = $60 for synthetic oil, $20 for filter and $80 in Labour). Had a valve service done by an independent Ducati mechanic and it was in the $600 neighborhood. I can't recite the 848 maintenance intervals off the top of my head but the owners manual is available online http://m.canada.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

if you're looking at dropping thousands of dollars on a toy, it may be worth 30 minutes of reading.

Hey thanks for the guesstimates on the prices of maintenance/labour I haven't been to a ducati service garage yet and don't look forward to it lol. I have no problem paying to maintain the bike, I just was afraid of being hit with fees off the bat after purchase since it's a used bike. I read up on the service intervals and could see that it would cost more than the average bike to maintain and keep at mint condition. Regardless I am going to take care of this like a baby!

I ended up getting a 848 Evo, it's in black and looks amazing! Has termignoni pipes on it, new tires, small mods here and there. I was surprised he had carbon fibre mods and didn't even mention it, other add ons too and even dropped the price when we met.

Says all maintenance was done at ducati, had receipts and everything 12k service just done. UVIP was clean of liens, no scratches anywhere, I checked, and looked completely mint. He was also a police officer so I think I was in good hands.

Did I miss anything? I'm a bit paranoid I did

Hey thanks for the guesstimates on the prices of maintenance/labour I haven't been to a ducati service garage yet and don't look forward to it lol. I have no problem paying to maintain the bike, I just was afraid of being hit with fees off the bat after purchase since it's a used bike. I read up on the service intervals and could see that it would cost more than the average bike to maintain and keep at mint condition. Regardless I am going to take care of this like a baby!

I ended up getting a 848 Evo, it's in black and looks amazing! Has termignoni pipes on it, new tires, small mods here and there. I was surprised he had carbon fibre mods and didn't even mention it, other add ons too and even dropped the price when we met.

Says all maintenance was done at ducati, had receipts and everything 12k service just done. UVIP was clean of liens, no scratches anywhere, I checked, and looked completely mint. He was also a police officer so I think I was in good hands.

Did I miss anything? I'm a bit paranoid I did

You forgot the tax you pay to transfer ownership at service ontario, and for a ducati, be prepared for a big hit.($$$)

you also forgot a safety, gonna need that, its not free, and if anything is needed for it, it comes out of YOUR pocket, thats why its better to have the seller do it, so you dont incur more hidden charges.
Any reasonable seller will have it done before they sell the bike, or its considered as is.

Last edited:
You forgot the tax you pay to transfer ownership at service ontario, and for a ducati, be prepared for a big hit.($$$)

you also forgot a safety, gonna need that, its not free, and if anything is needed for it, it comes out of YOUR pocket, thats why its better to have the seller do it, so you dont incur more hidden charges.
Any reasonable seller will have it done before they sell the bike, or its considered as is.

I thought taxes were void on bikes if you put $0? He said I can put whatever I want on the sold price, he left it empty for me.

I discussed the safety and said I'd do it since he paid to have it delivered to me, I know a person who can do it for me for $50 or less.

Does anyone know the best ducati mechanics in the GTA? I saw a thread on it earlier but it was a bit outdated (thread from 2011). I was thinking of the ducati dealership but if there's better mechanics for cheaper why not

I thought taxes were void on bikes if you put $0? He said I can put whatever I want on the sold price, he left it empty for me.

I discussed the safety and said I'd do it since he paid to have it delivered to me, I know a person who can do it for me for $50 or less.

The people at service ontario and revenue canada arent stupid, you put 0 dollars, they will know whats up

Better to put a decent figure like 1000$ so the tax wont be too bad, 130$. This way you save some money, and they dont get suspicious

Also lol, what if the bike needs new tires and a new brake to pass safety? Unless your a mechanic or have some mechanical skill you dont know if it will pass safety or not.

Parts+labor+ safety your looking at a tidy sum, He said he'd deliver it to your place if he doesnt have to do safety, sounds like he saved himself a bunch of money and passed the cost down to you.

The people at service ontario and revenue canada arent stupid, you put 0 dollars, they will know whats up

Better to put a decent figure like 1000$ so the tax wont be too bad, 130$. This way you save some money, and they dont get suspicious

Also lol, what if the bike needs new tires and a new brake to pass safety? Unless your a mechanic or have some mechanical skill you dont know if it will pass safety or not.

Parts+labor+ safety your looking at a tidy sum, He said he'd deliver it to your place if he doesnt have to do safety, sounds like he saved himself a bunch of money and passed the cost down to you.

I actually said I'd do the safety(if you read my post), he didn't say he would deliver it if he didn't have to do the safety. He was fine with doing the safety...

Does anyone know the best ducati mechanics in the GTA? I saw a thread on it earlier but it was a bit outdated (thread from 2011). I was thinking of the ducati dealership but if there's better mechanics for cheaper why not

No need to make stuff up, I can understand criticism, tips, advice, etc. Just not blatant lies to make people feel bad.

I actually said I'd do the safety(if you read my post), he didn't say he would deliver it if he didn't have to do the safety. He was fine with doing the safety...

No need to make stuff up, I can understand criticism, tips, advice, etc. Just not blatant lies to make people feel bad.

You asked for potential costs, you got them.

Ask your mechanic if it will pass safety.

You asked for potential costs, you got them.

Ask your mechanic if it will pass safety.

You didn't mention the cost ($$) at all, you just insisted that I got scammed...and you made up that he said he would deliver it if he didn't have to safety it...simmer down.

Ducati changed the 848 to the evo in 2010 I think? Odds are it shouldn't need much if the mileage is not too bad. Tires are an easy one to spot and aren't really that expensive, even for the good ones. Don't let internet people rain on your parade, if you got the bike you wanted enjoy it and don't worry about other's opinions. Those who purchase a premium product do so for various reasons. Sure there are cheaper bikes to run and if have one that you like, good for you. There are others who appreciate the engineering and history that go into Ducatis and are willing to pay to ride them.

Back
Top Bottom