Cost of Insurance for motorbikes!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cost of Insurance for motorbikes!!

mikey.feb92

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum, and even to motorcycle riding. I have been driving car from the past 6 yrs in Winnipeg, but now I have moved to GTA. So I'm planning to buy a Yamaha YZF-R3, which costs about $5000. I have no idea about how much the insurance costs in Ontario for a motorcycle. But I have heard from some of my friends that it is pretty expensive.
So, if you guys have any idea about it, please let me know that how much it will cost me annually!!

Another thing, can we drive in winters in GTA? Of course with proper clothing, etc. Because I don't think that this area has that much snowfall as Winnipeg has!

Thanks in advance!!:D

No one here can tell you, call some of the popular agents here.

GTA still gets a decent winter, and ice, so no you won't see many/any bikes in the dead of winter. Last year we had a few weeks where it was like 10 so they were all out then.

Snowfall isn't really the deciding factor for me; it's more the salt on the road. There are plenty of days during the winter that the roads are clear enough (of snow) to ride on, but the inch of salt makes it pretty unappealing.

I grew up in Brandon and no we don't get the extreme cold or quantity of snow here. I rode a bike here one winter and it was better than freezing my butt off waiting for buses.

At that time bike insurance was a quarter of the price of car insurance mainly because there wasn't medical coverage.

If you want to ride in the winter:

Buy a cheap one because the salt will wreck it.

It should be light so you can use body english as you would dirt biking.

You don't need much power.

Don't expect to pick up chicks

Your insurance costs will not be typical so only a broker can give you a number but if you're a new rider and under 25 don't be surprised if it's more than the bike you're looking at.

Last edited:
Call Vinnie at Allstate, my GF was just in touch with him and if she brought her car over and got an R3 in the spring it'd be about 80 bucks a month. If you have your full M for 4 years or more you will get elite status and get a 30% discount. Her numbers are based out of London with an M1/M2 this spring (new rider), but should be a ball park. Vinnie Narace 226-270-6567 or vnarace@allstate.ca

I'm new to this forum, and even to motorcycle riding. I have been driving car from the past 6 yrs in Winnipeg, but now I have moved to GTA.

Yeah, you might be for a little GTA/Ontario shock. Any number you get will seem excessive, so don't be surprised.

It's not about snowfall, but rather black ice, brine (plus drivers who cannot drive in dry conditions, forget wet or ice) ... causing slippery conditions. Buy a beater car for the winter, you will need it, trust me ... or use public transit if you can (I know sounds crazy, but perhaps you live close to Go line or subway line?)

Back
Top Bottom