Bike overheating | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike overheating

Anarion

Hey guys I ride an 09 zx6r with approximately 23k km on it I've had an issue with temperature increasing as I'm riding over a long period of time, usually when I'm really pushing the bike is when the temp will begin to increase which is very weird. I have no idea what's wrong, got a fresh coolant flush and oil change and the rad fan does work, kicks on at about 102-105. Any input would be greatly appreciated

If you are pushing it, that implies you should be at speed and the fans shouldn't really matter. My first guess would be a bad thermostat. I would be concerned about air pockets as you just flushed, but as the temp keeps climbing, the sensor should be in the fluid.

Were you having the same symptoms prior to the coolant flush? I am assuming the current coolant is the proper mix of water and antifreeze?

I haven't checked the thermostat yet because usually those are the last things to go on the bike, but before my coolant flush my bike would actually overheat it would go to 120+ Celsius where I'd have to shut the bike off. Now the highest I've seen it go is 118 on a really hot and humid day while ripping it

Did you flush the coolant yourself? If so, did you bleed the cooling system?

Likely a stuck/failed thermostat. Easy to check - remove it and put in a pan of water, then boil the water and see if it opens properly.

Don't randomly throw parts at it. Look for and analyze ALL the symptoms.

Is the coolant level correct in both the overflow tank and the radiator?

Pressure testing the radiator cap usually isn't a worthwhile exercise. They're cheap and easy to replace, so just install a new one.

Is the face of the radiator half blocked with bugs and rocks with half the fins folded over blocking the airflow? (No airflow through the radiator = no cooling)

When you start the engine from cold with the radiator cap removed, is there visible coolant circulation? Do the radiator and the hoses to and from the radiator all feel warm after the engine has been running for a couple of minutes? If not, the water pump may be suspect. When doing this test, are there visible gas bubbles coming up through the coolant? If yes - either the cooling system was not fully "burped" leading to an air pocket that is blocking circulation, OR if the cooling system was known to be correctly filled, you may have a leaking head gasket.

Is there anything else about the bike or its history that we need to know, which would contribute to cooling system issues?

Don't randomly throw parts at it. Look for and analyze ALL the symptoms.

Is the coolant level correct in both the overflow tank and the radiator?

Pressure testing the radiator cap usually isn't a worthwhile exercise. They're cheap and easy to replace, so just install a new one.

Is the face of the radiator half blocked with bugs and rocks with half the fins folded over blocking the airflow? (No airflow through the radiator = no cooling)

When you start the engine from cold with the radiator cap removed, is there visible coolant circulation? Do the radiator and the hoses to and from the radiator all feel warm after the engine has been running for a couple of minutes? If not, the water pump may be suspect. When doing this test, are there visible gas bubbles coming up through the coolant? If yes - either the cooling system was not fully "burped" leading to an air pocket that is blocking circulation, OR if the cooling system was known to be correctly filled, you may have a leaking head gasket.

Is there anything else about the bike or its history that we need to know, which would contribute to cooling system issues?

What Brian P said, plus one more thing. Some bikes have a 'weep' hole on the water pump. If the pump seal is gone you will get a tiny drip. If its failed completely the oil will be badly contaminated.

Back
Top Bottom