Want to Live? Stay Away from Semi-Trucks ...good article | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want to Live? Stay Away from Semi-Trucks ...good article

I'll bet you $500 cash, right now right here in front of everyone here at GTAM that in 10 years your statement about "trucks doing most of the driving so companies can hire less skilled drivers" turns out to be a huge steaming load of bunk.

Backing up trailers into tight spots is difficult but if someone asked me to automate it I definitely could do it - would need to develop "smart" hardware to be kept at the loading dock side and matching hardware in the truck.

I'll take that bet - and again I do apologize for the nasty comment I was just angry that people like yodude exist.

No, you dipshit, like vehicles with two axles that don't need airbrakes and destroy the road.

Exactly. Two-axle vehicles, and everyone should look after their own needs, right?

26Large.png

would need to develop "smart" hardware to be kept at the loading dock side and matching hardware in the truck.

And convince every factory, warehouse, grocery store, corner store, crossdock facility (with hundreds and hundreds of doors) to agree to install that hardware on every one of their docks and facilities, and 100% shoulder the cost of that? Just so the companies hauling their freight can save a few dollars hiring unskilled help?

Again, using the aviation comparison, that's like suggesting that since aircraft can already automate much of their own tasks (nearly 100% of them to be honest with you) that we can safely remove he pilots from the flight deck now without any possible worries or consequences. Good luck when something unexpected happens...hey, anyone remember that "Miracle on Hudson" thing a few years back, you know, the one with the movie about it in theatres right now? Or google "Gimli Glider" for another interesting story. That's just two more notable emergencies where the people at the controls saved the day and hundreds of lives, not a computer.

Computers and automation do well with predictable and repeatable scenarios. Throw in anything unexpected or an emergency and they crap the bed. . And people will die if there's not a brain at the controls somewhere thinking outside the one-and-zero system of automation.

For the record my username here isn't just for ***** and giggles, I am a pilot as well. This whole "automation is gonna replace pilots!" BS has also been floating around in that field for decades. Again, not gonna happen anytime soon.

In 20, 30, 40 (realistically) years. Perhaps. I'll be retired and traveling the world by then, likely on ships and planes with humans still at the controls.

Apparently all the large auto makers are planning to have self driving cars on the lot by 2020. I heard it on the radio so no telling if it's true or even possible.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

There's A big difference between self driving, and no human required, however. With self driving cars there are still many situations in which the human is required to take over (sometimes in a split second) and accordingly will still require the license and skills involved therein.

Good luck when something unexpected happens...hey, anyone remember that "Miracle on Hudson" thing a few years back, you know, the one with the movie about it in theatres right now? Or google "Gimli Glider" for another interesting story. That's just two more notable emergencies where the people at the controls saved the day and hundreds of lives, not a computer.

It's too bad Air Canada scraped the Gimli; truly amazing story and display of skill. Would have been worth preserving imo

Transport trucks are a new invention and we existed for thousands of years prior to them and will probably exist thousands of years after we stop using them everyday.

So, a question for you. Should we duplicate factories every 20-30 Kilometers so that everything we use in modern day society is close and convenient without any need to transport it? You can just walk to the food factory and pickup your morning cereal, and on the way home stop at the toilet paper factory and pickup some Charmin. And then go for a stroll to the refinery to pickup a jerry can of gas for your car since maybe the soap factory is a bit far away to walk to. Best pickup some new duds at the clothing factory while you're passing by on the way to the soap factory as well. Stop at the one-stop-has-everything farm on the way home and pickup milk, eggs, fruit and vegetables, some steaks, potatoes, and some almonds for those muffins your wife wants to bake. Get some sugar cane as well to turn into sugar so your morning coffee tastes better. Oh, and coffee beans, better not forget those either...they grow those here in Ontario, right? I'm sure that one farm has everything you could possibly ever need or want, right at your fingertips, all in one place. No problem, even in January or February.

Shall I keep going?

Now go look around your house and look at every single item you use or consume on a daily basis and think long and hard about where it came from and how stupid your statement is.

Or are you still suggesting that we put all that stuff on trains and somehow magically get it into your local store that way?

Picture this at every single intersection then.

IMG_1008.JPG
\

Or are you still suggesting that we put all that stuff on trains and somehow magically get it into your local store that way?\

prob start talking about his magic carpet ride fantasies, bring him any problem & he can easily come up with a software/hardware fix

the trucking world must be ignorant of his abilities to replace shunters with software/hardware, then again, he only deals with realities

have fun and keep to the right lol

Last edited:
might look into anger mgnt, not good on the road either, or in relationships, particularly when having a dim view of others

I'll take that bet - and again I do apologize for the nasty comment I was just angry that people like yodude exist.

Last edited:
So, a question for you. Should we duplicate factories every 20-30 Kilometers so that everything we use in modern day society is close and convenient without any need to transport it? You can just walk to the food factory and pickup your morning cereal, and on the way home stop at the toilet paper factory and pickup some Charmin. And then go for a stroll to the refinery to pickup a jerry can of gas for your car since maybe the soap factory is a bit far away to walk to. Best pickup some new duds at the clothing factory while you're passing by on the way to the soap factory as well. Stop at the one-stop-has-everything farm on the way home and pickup milk, eggs, fruit and vegetables, some steaks, potatoes, and some almonds for those muffins your wife wants to bake. Get some sugar cane as well to turn into sugar so your morning coffee tastes better. Oh, and coffee beans, better not forget those either...they grow those here in Ontario, right? I'm sure that one farm has everything you could possibly ever need or want, right at your fingertips, all in one place. No problem, even in January or February.

Years ago the Science Centre had a display on showing the miles traveled by all of the components of a Big Mac including inks, packaging, meat, seasonings, flour for the bun etc. It was eight thousand or so miles IIRC, explaining the taste.

Why do so many people follow the headlined advice by driving slowly in the no trucks lane?

might look into anger mgnt, not good on the road either, or in relationships, particularly when having a dim view of others

I have a really positive view of my fellow humans in general, I assure you it's just you specifically.

As for on the road, I'll finish a confrontation if someone else starts one but for the most part I just keep my eyes and brain focused on making it to where I'm going safely (I don't flip people off, or lay on my horn, etc...).

Back
Top Bottom