Selling a used vehicle that's being shipped outside the country | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a used vehicle that's being shipped outside the country

xfactor

Site Supporter
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there are any repercussions for selling a vehicle that's apparently being shipped outside the country. We sold a really old Camry recetly and the buyer is shipping the car to Africa, dude showed up and paid and the cash is legit. We provided him with bill of sale/ownership/UVIP. He's stating that there is no need for him to transfer the ownership as he's shipping it out. Couple of questions to the informed:

1. How can you ship a car without having the title for it? Seems shady no
2. What onus/responsibility could the seller possibly have if the buyer decided not to change ownership? (Seems like a weird case)

This is for an older friends of my parents and they're worried if they're getting into any trouble. I called MTO and they stated that I can go into Service Ontario and sign a declaration that the car is sold and attach it to the bill. I guess that's easy enough to do, but just want to see if someone can seen any angle here that I'm missing about some international smuggling involving cheapo Corolla from 1999. :)
Thx

Report it to the Ministry and police. I got into a similar situation just before UVIP's came out. My former boss bought my car that had a blown engine, for parts for his taxi company vehicles. Didn't change the ownership, threw a new engine in it, and was driving it around with dealer plates. He eventually abandoned it on the Q.E.W. somewhere. How do I know all this? A towing and storage company gave me a call, wanting God knows how much money for pulling it off of the road and storing it. Your older friend is the low hanging fruit here.

you go to the MTO and tell them that you have sold it. They will make you sign a paper stating that you have sold the vehicle and they change the status of that vehicle to sold on your file. I do this with all vehicles I have sold. You change that status to sold and it shouldn't be your problem anymore

Cool, thanks guys. I'll have them go to Service Ontario and sign the declaration paper and maybe put in a call with the local 5-0 to see what's what. Can't even sell a $1000 car these days without worrying about the Nigerian prince and his unbelievable benevolence.

You can also ask for a bill of lading. Best thing to do is to get a copy of the buyer's driver's license and report the vehicle as "sold" to Service Ontario.

It isn't a scam though, it's a very lucrative business.

You can also ask for a bill of lading. Best thing to do is to get a copy of the buyer's driver's license and report the vehicle as "sold" to Service Ontario.

It isn't a scam though, it's a very lucrative business.

Yeap, got them to do it. Went to the service Ontario and signed the declaration as sold, so it's no longer the sellers issue. Met the dude as he picked up the car, apparently he does this weekly and ships about 10-15 Camrys (White or Gold colour for premium price) a month to Africa (Chad). Makes about 500-1000 per car after expenses. Not a bad deal if you got the connections on the other side.

Hopefully you gave him the ownership with the transfer section signed and kept the plate.
Return the plates to a Service Ontario office.
The plate will be recorded as "Returned to Ministry" on the date you returned the plates.
A VIN check will show you stopped being the owner on the same date.
Anything that happened to the car after that date is not your responsibility.
Your *** is now covered if the buyer is trying to pull a fast one.
It is a sign of our times that the seller has to take such steps to protect themselves against the shenanigans of others.

Last edited:
Report it to the Ministry and police. I got into a similar situation just before UVIP's came out. My former boss bought my car that had a blown engine, for parts for his taxi company vehicles. Didn't change the ownership, threw a new engine in it, and was driving it around with dealer plates. He eventually abandoned it on the Q.E.W. somewhere. How do I know all this? A towing and storage company gave me a call, wanting God knows how much money for pulling it off of the road and storing it. Your older friend is the low hanging fruit here.

I got nailed in almost the same scenario selling a motorcycle to a coworker in the 90's. He crashed and ran and I got a bill for $8k towing and storage for a bike I sold for $500.

Back
Top Bottom