How old were your kids when they got their first dirt bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How old were your kids when they got their first dirt bike?

smudger

Only reason I ask is that I have a very active 3.5 year old who loves motorcycles & loves being at the track (road not dirt) with daddy etc etc
He can ride a bicycle without training wheels but struggles to pedal, he cant quite get the pedal over top dead center yet if you know what I mean .
He also has a bicycle with no pedals that they scoot along on & his balance is awesome on this, a coupe of scoots & he's away, he corners very confidently without using his feet for balance on this bike, understands & uses the brake just as he should do & tears around all over making motorcycle noises.

Soooo, I'm thinking of buying him a PW50, CRF50, JR50 or similar to start him out on - I'll probably use training wheels on it at first but as I said his balance is actually pretty good.

What's everyone thoughts i.e. anyone else had their kids on bikes at this age, is he too young, what are best ways to teach a toddler to correctly use motorcycle controls like the throttle, safety gear recommendations (I do have concerns about the weight of kids crash helmets) or am I being a dad who's pushing his own hobby onto his kids too soon & I should I just leave it be for another few years?

Smudger

Last edited:
I got both my kids PW50's, I got a Z50 when I was young but they haven't made those in years.

I'd say get him whatever you can score a deal on and you're comfortable putting him on, he'll remember that bike forever.

Pretty sure you can set a governer on the PW50 to limit him as he grows used to it.

Google the Oset 12.5. Its the perfect starter bike for kids. As soon as my kids are ok on the balance bike, thats going to be their first bike.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Google the Oset 12.5. Its the perfect starter bike for kids. As soon as my kids are ok on the balance bike, thats going to be their first bike.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
These are an excellent option, they can practice in the backyard etc at first and not bug anyone.
My two kids got on a pw50 very young, my nephew at 3.5. Get the proper gear, they'll enjoy it more if it doesn't hurt to fall.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

If you opt for new, iirc Yamaha has a trade in trade up program. Not sure of all the deets.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

try him out at one of the honda junior red riders to see how he does I sent my nephew this year and he loved it..... they provide everything, and I mean everything..... you just need to provide a kid in shorts and a t-shirt .... I like how the Honda crf 50cc bike has a set screw built in to the throttle so you can set the limit of how far they can open the throttle.... unsure what other manufactures do that

Last edited:
33 yrs old i let her use my 1976 Yamaha.

Take the kid(s) up to MotoPark.at Chatsworth..they have the small bikes and all the gear and even start them on training wheels.

My kid is doing really well on his strider bike so come spring or over the winter I'll find him a 50. He'll be 3 in April.

Question for everyone here, don't you guys think that training wheels are actually counter productive to teaching a kid how to balance/ride a bicycle/motorcycle.

I am planning to have my kid on a strider like dricked since to me those are way better to teach a kid balance. I wouldn't put my kid on a motorcycle with wheels but I got not experience on the matter.

Question for everyone here, don't you guys think that training wheels are actually counter productive to teaching a kid how to balance/ride a bicycle/motorcycle.

I am planning to have my kid on a strider like dricked since to me those are way better to teach a kid balance. I wouldn't put my kid on a motorcycle with wheels but I got not experience on the matter.

I don't like the training wheels. I personally watched a young guy get his foot folded under the training wheel axle while riding - not good (yamaha set up).
My kid started riding about a month before his 6th birthday, no training wheels crf50 semi auto with throttle limiter. I liked this setup as the brakes f+r are in the right spot, proper throttle, and shifter position proper.

a kid should already be tossing and brake skidding his bicycle b4 being put on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
I'll be using the training wheels to get him used to operating the bike at first. The strider has taught him balance but using a throttle and brake is still going to be new to him.

Thanks for that Jam Jam, I'll look that up.
I didn't know they did that Macdoc & we go to the Motopark fairly regularly as its not far from Guelph & my wife is from up that way so we visit up there regularly, that's a definite option to get him going, I'll have a look at their website for dates
Have to admit I'm thinking like Dricked, kid can fly on the strider & even enjoys skidding the rear wheel & doing prat falls etc etc but the training wheels are just there to help him while he gets the hang of the throttle & then get them off pretty quickly.

@smudger iirc they have to be 6 for Honda jr red riders.

I had a neighbor whose kid was on a 50 with training wheels. I have training wheels on my kid's bike now, so if I were to go with a 50, it would probably have them too.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I'll be using the training wheels to get him used to operating the bike at first. The strider has taught him balance but using a throttle and brake is still going to be new to him.

Thanks for that Jam Jam, I'll look that up.
I didn't know they did that Macdoc & we go to the Motopark fairly regularly as its not far from Guelph & my wife is from up that way so we visit up there regularly, that's a definite option to get him going, I'll have a look at their website for dates
Have to admit I'm thinking like Dricked, kid can fly on the strider & even enjoys skidding the rear wheel & doing prat falls etc etc but the training wheels are just there to help him while he gets the hang of the throttle & then get them off pretty quickly.

It's a good point, hadn't really thought that way to be honest... the good thing is that I get to see what works for you guys since mine is only 7 months old lol

Oset isn't the only player in the electric bike game for kids anymore. Beta has some new stuff and it looks to be good.
faa6c31428ebfc387d57c426b5f6d1ff.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=646968465461979&substory_index=0&id=286077164884446
Disclaimer: Not my kid, bike, or Facebook page. But I do love Lang's, Rob is absolutely amazing.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Depends on the kid...I used trainers on my first at 4 after and after an hr they came off...kids learn so fast...some need them some don't...if they do, use it as the ice breaker

If they can balance on a bike I don't see the need for training wheels. Why not get a four wheeler then? Once they start moving the bike will balance itself for the most part and they'll put their feet down when they stop.

Granted mine didn't start that young, I think my daughter was 7, I would never have used training wheels.

Motopark is an awesome track/place, but expensive.

If they can balance on a bike I don't see the need for training wheels. Why not get a four wheeler then? Once they start moving the bike will balance itself for the most part and they'll put their feet down when they stop.

Granted mine didn't start that young, I think my daughter was 7, I would never have used training wheels.

Motopark is an awesome track/place, but expensive.

At 2-3 years old they will take a little longer to figure out gas/brakes. At 7 they're peddling a bike and have no problem with balance and understanding instructions better. I don't want him scared of the bike from falling over because he got scared of the throttle and fell. Once he can stop and go comfortably the training wheels come off. Why buy a 4 wheeler, use it for a month and sell it when training wheels work just fine.

Hi guys, where is the best place to buy safety gear for a 3.5 year old?

I'm probably going the electric dirt bike route initially so he can (silently) practice in our back yard, I can take him round the neighborhood with me on my mtn bike at his side & also in our local park without any noise bugging the neighbors or the people who live round the local park.

Back
Top Bottom