How old were your kids when they got their first dirt bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How old were your kids when they got their first dirt bike?

My son had his XR50 at 1.5 years (I rode with him obviously).

He went solo at 3.5 years (with training wheels).

He went without training wheels at 5.5 years.

By 8.5 years he had lost interest in riding. His bike and my dirt bike are gone. He loves riding on the back of the Superduke and he and I have some other father/son hobbies (pretty much equally expensive).

My daughter last year at 33.
P3200255_zpsmypl1syt.jpg

Does this count as starting to ride lol

Rd7VO6Yyl5n8u70y1c3OmKYi4Dlm596uMJxWh9xUzPgKftVfSkSU11tFqWoBQP1ncma27R5fhgqW981-KxchGB_fRtzHzQvBvndNJCFxB09yTBfY-HmJeITNhnM5Ztqs55QAaI2N93KkwqrNnat1lgDlXuSUSmyZ1ZTcBuPkPGHNvmaIJgKatt_lnRbkND-OoM6FsHrrIaOXG3OI67CLN-haXHHkbbk43wOK4TWU_xepVFD3BdEiD3lBE2UtxMdmXAiMfO9ZmRZ3Jo6D8PlYmRkFk6CNng9hh2FXuMhFGhDgLODAxBjZHdQOq7xkpW2ZsiMOHmHuDQuICdBvz2hQOyJf0Y6wwjq8K08rKVEdFh5ThKgcGAXTjSGZt39yX9h60286wYLlfz5XWq6qZYf_CueXzYZb8-SnQAww180A0uDLANldc7onBH8KjCbLQhiRMqIm3j6hVLh78M4JJgCbApWKvauN2Epw62731K0Re-_2Y9YPl1RxKN10luGpdWOjdxrHZhd6G2-EkFD68uR0TGWGKr49WuyfRpVw3A1xclzrJ1Tff2FG2M0U6hlDCg8IewZaCFw-cpI6X0e44jxhSCU6lJ6CuUlmaM_mne4rltLXsVsr=w503-h670-no

Glad to hear he started so early, can't wait to take mine riding - He is only 9 months thought :(

CORRECTION; he went solo at 2.5 years! Pics added;

IMG_1238_zpswpqsyn9a.jpg

He went solo at 2.5 years (with training wheels).

IMG_1824_zpsty3qgafe.jpg

He went without training wheels at 5.5 years.

riding%20screen%20capture2_zpskid1hmll.jpg

By 8.5 years he had lost interest in riding. His bike and my dirt bike are gone. He loves riding on the back of the Superduke and he and I have some other father/son hobbies (pretty much equally expensive).

IMG_1303_zpsapg9lpyw.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, where is the best place to buy safety gear for a 3.5 year old?

I'm probably going the electric dirt bike route initially so he can (silently) practice in our back yard, I can take him round the neighborhood with me on my mtn bike at his side & also in our local park without any noise bugging the neighbors or the people who live round the local park.

I found my kids stuff on kijij. the kid was growing so quick...
the only things I bought new were helmets and goggles and gloves - at royal distributing. good selection. they also supported the hare scrambles races where my kid started racing. they provided fantastic and numerous gifts at the free prize draws after the races. they are good supporters of the sport.

the big expense were the bikes, after coming back from a track day at motopark he told me he liked the orange bikes...doh!

really like the electric bikes for the very young, but be aware, kids grow up real quick. so cool.

Last edited:
So I went to Royal Distributing & got my 3.5 year old a helmet, gloves, jersey & trousers, they have a great selection & some pretty good pricing.
What are everyone's thoughts on neck rolls for little 'uns at his age?
Opinions seem divided BUT have to admit my biggest concern is a neck injury to him - what do you all think of them & where would you buy one from?

I wouldn't let him ride any off road without one. Got them at PA too.

So I went to Royal Distributing & got my 3.5 year old a helmet, gloves, jersey & trousers, they have a great selection & some pretty good pricing.
Opinions seem divided BUT have to admit my biggest concern is a neck injury to him - what do you all think of them & where would you buy one from?

I use one and wouldn't let my kid ride without one.

Mine haven't shown any interest yet.

Back
Top Bottom