09 Ford F150 is obsolete and unsupported | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

09 Ford F150 is obsolete and unsupported

Apparently there were very few F150s made with this particular option quirk:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/ford-gives-search-part-mans-seven-year-old-f-150/

For whatever reason the mainstream/usual module would not work with the way this truck was spec'd out.

Just the same it is kind of a bizarre story. The F150 sells a crapload year after year and there are a whack of them around. The idea of a 2009 F150 not being repairable is just bizarre to say the least.
Ah that explains it. With very low volumes sold with that particular HVAC system, they didn't have a broad section of data to rely on to make their statistical predictions reliable.

Shame. Back in the day (way back, I guess), there were individuals and shops that would have had the skills and tools to repair such modules or their equivalents from the period.

In the old days shops thrived doing repairs on things like alternators, regulators and starters. Nowadays people just junk their old stuff and replace it with new; remans are available only from big conglomerates for simple stuff from brake calipers or alternators.

Manufacturers don't help; they mark the semiconductors in their modules with proprietary numbers that are meaningless outside the OEM, they provide no schematics (unlike, say, older TVs and stereo systems where manufacturers made schematics available for purchase...) Manufacturers have you by the balls; by making their modules so secretive they're all but unrepairable and you're forced to buy new or forage junk piles for replacements.

Local skilled labour rates are too high here. Many of the parts that can be repaired can be bought new for so cheap there is no way to make money spending hours fixing them at $20, $30, $40+ an hour. In other parts of the world they still have all those shops because the local rate is well under $10 and the part still costs at least what it costs here new (lots of margin to fix things). It is not much of a conspiracy, it is economics.

I fix this type of stuff myself all the time for my cars... lots of info online and the schematics etc. are actually out there.

They discontinue them based on forecasted failure rates, with enough volume in warehouses to ensure replacement supplies are available for x number of years. The module may have started to fail regularly late in the trucks lives, after the decision to discontinue production was made.

So while they may have discontinued based on exceptionally low demand, they ran out because of unexpectedly HIGH demand.

This is likely what happened.

My guess in the end, Ford says they are going to have A part made for him, I call BS. For the manufacturer to make just one of these parts would cost more than just giving him a replacement truck... Maybe they will get another batch run because they know they have an issue, or they will just farm out a part refurb to someone somewhere that still does this sort of thing and tell him it is "new." The companies that make these parts are not geared up to make one offs from years old runs. Unless of course this is a simple part they can 3D print???

Local skilled labour rates are too high here. Many of the parts that can be repaired can be bought new for so cheap there is no way to make money spending hours fixing them at $20, $30, $40+ an hour. In other parts of the world they still have all those shops because the local rate is well under $10 and the part still costs at least what it costs here new (lots of margin to fix things). It is not much of a conspiracy, it is economics.

I fix this type of stuff myself all the time for my cars... lots of info online and the schematics etc. are actually out there.

This is likely what happened.

My guess in the end, Ford says they are going to have A part made for him, I call BS. For the manufacturer to make just one of these parts would cost more than just giving him a replacement truck... Maybe they will get another batch run because they know they have an issue, or they will just farm out a part refurb to someone somewhere that still does this sort of thing and tell him it is "new." The companies that make these parts are not geared up to make one offs from years old runs. Unless of course this is a simple part they can 3D print???

Or Ford just buys 3 parts from Ebay, shines them up, gives them to him as a 1 time replacement part (not given as new part...replacement part)...lol

Or they said they'd fix it, and were misquoted.

to 'tarded to leave posted.....need coffee or sleep

Last edited:
Article indicated it was a common problem specific to that model, and that the reserve of parts were consumed already because of such. So yeah, vicious circle.

The only solution is to repair, refurbish, or replace. If the part is indeed in such demand due to the failures, yeah, Ford may have to just eat the cost of doing another production run....or get more bad press out of the situation.

There is a point where manufacturers stop producing parts and the aftermarket takes over - I was for example still able to source a washer-wiper control circuit board for my old '97 pickup truck a few years ago simply because they were a reasonably high-demand part available at a low price...but when it comes to complicated (& expensive) electronic modules the aftermarket isn't there, although typically those sorts of parts don't fail routinely enough to justify an aftermarket to begin with. This may be an exception.

We brought a 7 year old GMC 2500 in because the window switches fell off the door. Were told the part is no longer available and they hot glued it back together. It lasted about 2 km. They billed us $165 for this.

AxJvQ4a.jpg

6bMWcrR.jpg

fjEPYF5.jpg

We brought a 7 year old GMC 2500 in because the window switches fell off the door. Were told the part is no longer available and they hot glued it back together. It lasted about 2 km. They billed us $165 for this.

AxJvQ4a.jpg

6bMWcrR.jpg

fjEPYF5.jpg

I can't find anything positive about this experience, except for maybe the fact that the glue can be peeled off and won't leave any permanent damage.

This is the sort of thing that fuels the perception that dealerships are rotten. I can't believe how a service advisor would think any of that was a good idea. I hope you get your money back.

Wow. I think I would lose it

I can't believe how a service advisor would think any of that was a good idea.

Given how lightly regulated auto repair is in Ontario, there are some pretty incompetent people in the system

use some JB Weld...good as new, actually better it will be stronger.
go get your money back, you paid for them to fix it and lasting only 2km is not a REASONABLE expectation of service rendered.

Given how lightly regulated auto repair is in Ontario, there are some pretty incompetent people in the system

Makes one wonder what the now $150/year +HST to the regulatory 'Collage of Trades' is actually used for...

I brought my 2015 2500HD in for them to replace the steering wheel (scratched at 11:00 from the factory). Jump in the truck and there's oily hand prints all over the gauges, dirty boot prints on the sill which has a fancy metal insert that's now scratched (I buffed it out). I went in and told the service advisor about it. They wiped off the dirt only to reveal the plastic on the instrument cluster is now scratched. They agreed to replace it but for the few small scratches I'll live with it before I let them rip my dash apart. The truck had less than 5000km on it. I also let them do one of the 4 free oil changes, front chrome part above the grill was covered in oily hand prints after. I can do it without getting oil on everything, why can't they? Needless to say my vehicle hasn't been back to the dealership and I'll figure something out to make up for my scratched cluster. This isn't a Chevy problem, it's a dealership problem.

In contrast, my 10 year old (2006) Honda Accord went in for the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and spark plugs last week, and they had no issue doing it. Even had the parts in stock so the car was only there for half a day.

Honda is kind of an exception though, I have walked into a dealership and bought parts for a 30 year old bike that wasnt even sold in this country, honda parts support is amazing.

That said I find this article hard to believe, this is the best selling truck on the continent, theres at least one going to a junkyard every single day, none of them have this part intact??

Honda is kind of an exception though, I have walked into a dealership and bought parts for a 30 year old bike that wasnt even sold in this country, honda parts support is amazing.

That said I find this article hard to believe, this is the best selling truck on the continent, theres at least one going to a junkyard every single day, none of them have this part intact??
For some reason they only considered original or aftermarket parts, new or refurb. Nothing used.

Needless to say my vehicle hasn't been back to the dealership and I'll figure something out to make up for my scratched cluster. This isn't a Chevy problem, it's a dealership problem.

I've had pretty good success with Meguiars Plastx on clusters, even works decent on hold helmet visors that have seen better days.

Back
Top Bottom