09 Ford F150 is obsolete and unsupported | GTAMotorcycle.com

09 Ford F150 is obsolete and unsupported

In contrast, my 10 year old (2006) Honda Accord went in for the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and spark plugs last week, and they had no issue doing it. Even had the parts in stock so the car was only there for half a day.

Squeaky wheel gets part replaced , otherwise tough chit for the dumbsumer...

BB

Im surprised nobody could find the part used, but whats it worth $20? most used parts guys wont sit the coffee cup down for a $20 part that needs shipped.
Of course FORD found one for the most popular vehicle in North America once main stream media was on it.

Its not unrealistic in any product today to find parts dont exist 5-7 yrs later. Sad sign of our times.

Im surprised nobody could find the part used, but whats it worth $20? most used parts guys wont sit the coffee cup down for a $20 part that needs shipped.
Of course FORD found one for the most popular vehicle in North America once main stream media was on it.

Its not unrealistic in any product today to find parts dont exist 5-7 yrs later. Sad sign of our times.

30 second ebay search shows a bunch of results. All from crashed/used F150's. Maybe this guy needs to step up his internet game?

30 second ebay search shows a bunch of results. All from crashed/used F150's. Maybe this guy needs to step up his internet game?
Story wouldn't read as well, if they reported that he refused used replacement parts. There's more to it, than what was stated.

Every mechanical device has many moving parts, some not always lubricated and moving in harmony. Expect incidences of impingement from time to time especially when the time is measured in years. We asked for it, they gave it to us. I see a new generation of F150 on the horizon. Let's learn to move forward people.

Even worse it probably only has a jack input, no BT. Obsolete.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

BT for a heater control? Ok

i reality if he had the Ford insync system (not available in 09) he would have had the BT and a jack and a USB and none of it would have worked 2 days after the warranty was up and would have spent most of its life of a test bench somewhere. Full disclosure I had a 2013 F150 and the connectivity was a **** show.

My spidey sense is telling me upon replacement of the HVAC module, original diagnosing dealer will find blend door actuator (or wiring to) to be the actual problem.

No kidding! I can find parts for my 98 F150 with little effort.

I almost bought an '03 Ford minivan, when I was looking last time, but I ended up with a Chevy for 12 years, because the Ford had VHS instead of a DVD.

Shame. Back in the day (way back, I guess), there were individuals and shops that would have had the skills and tools to repair such modules or their equivalents from the period.

In the old days shops thrived doing repairs on things like alternators, regulators and starters. Nowadays people just junk their old stuff and replace it with new; remans are available only from big conglomerates for simple stuff from brake calipers or alternators.

Manufacturers don't help; they mark the semiconductors in their modules with proprietary numbers that are meaningless outside the OEM, they provide no schematics (unlike, say, older TVs and stereo systems where manufacturers made schematics available for purchase...) Manufacturers have you by the balls; by making their modules so secretive they're all but unrepairable and you're forced to buy new or forage junk piles for replacements.

You can't tell if the module is any good by looking at it, or how much life it has left. I guess you could stockpile them and swap them one after another if/when they fail.

Shame. Back in the day (way back, I guess), there were individuals and shops that would have had the skills and tools to repair such modules or their equivalents from the period.

In the old days shops thrived doing repairs on things like alternators, regulators and starters. Nowadays people just junk their old stuff and replace it with new; remans are available only from big conglomerates for simple stuff from brake calipers or alternators.

Manufacturers don't help; they mark the semiconductors in their modules with proprietary numbers that are meaningless outside the OEM, they provide no schematics (unlike, say, older TVs and stereo systems where manufacturers made schematics available for purchase...) Manufacturers have you by the balls; by making their modules so secretive they're all but unrepairable and you're forced to buy new or forage junk piles for replacements.

Some of us still do where possible ;)

Numbers out of the air here, but in my experience 50% of automotive module issues relate to poor solder joints, maybe 30% (depending on manufacturer) are firmware related and usually fixable; the remaining 20% are hardware failures, and you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph, which also applies to alternators, starters, calipers, steering racks etc etc.. Even when you know how to rebuild em, good luck finding the spares required. And those specialty shops that do rebuild such things are never very forthcoming with supplier information.. In my experience of course.

You can't tell if the module is any good by looking at it, or how much life it has left. I guess you could stockpile them and swap them one after another if/when they fail.

Since the part was supposedly "discontinued due to exceptionally low demand" chances are salvage modules are good.

Apparently there were very few F150s made with this particular option quirk:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/ford-gives-search-part-mans-seven-year-old-f-150/

For whatever reason the mainstream/usual module would not work with the way this truck was spec'd out.

Just the same it is kind of a bizarre story. The F150 sells a crapload year after year and there are a whack of them around. The idea of a 2009 F150 not being repairable is just bizarre to say the least.

Since the part was supposedly "discontinued due to exceptionally low demand" chances are salvage modules are good.

They discontinue them based on forecasted failure rates, with enough volume in warehouses to ensure replacement supplies are available for x number of years. The module may have started to fail regularly late in the trucks lives, after the decision to discontinue production was made.

So while they may have discontinued based on exceptionally low demand, they ran out because of unexpectedly HIGH demand.

Back
Top Bottom