kijiji movers scam | GTAMotorcycle.com

kijiji movers scam

LiNK666

Hey everyone,

This happened to my brother's inlaws yesterday. They booked movers through kijiji for $800 for the move. The guy brought a small truck than what they requested. Then he held the stuff hostage at a gas station demanding more money ($800 for a second trip). After getting the extra $800 he dropped all the stuff in the truck on their lawn and drove off. He never did the second trip. Cops wouldn't get involved.

Cheapest isn't always better.

We just moved and booked the truck and movers through uhaul. Hired really well rated guys that did an amazing job. The move cost me $400.

Be careful with kijiji when you hire someone. Get the contract o something in writing and avoid paying cash!

Hope the bastids rot in Hell.
There are some things that I guess you have to go to the known guys for. Looks like we have to add this to the list. I'm hoping that their belongings were worth much more than the $1600 and glad it wasn't much worse for them, although still very sad to hear.
Thanks for the head's up.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I had some rubble removed by one of the junk removal companies and got taken. Next time I just rent a pickup and do it myself.

Yeah it sounded too good

Probably ought to have a contract signed or something like that....

Oh yeah and read it.

How did the junk removers scam you?

Surcharges for exceptional loading and a bunch of general BS that was smoke and mirrors over the phone. My bad for not asking enough questions. A Google search showed it is common for the bill to be a lot higher than expected.

A friend is moving and has a week and a half delay in getting into the new place so needs a bit of storage. I called a place on his behalf and they have a promotional deal of a dollar for the first month plus a $21.00 registration fee and month by month with no contract. You have to give them 48 hours notice of cancellation.

I suspect the catch is the plan automatically rolls over to the next month at $225.00 if you miss the deadline. I haven't read the contract but a friend got hit by that with a six month dumpster contract that automatically rolled over into another six month contract.

The furniture finance scam "Don't pay for two years" works on people who think the two years are up is based on the delivery date. It is usually based on the sales date which can be weeks or months earlier. Miss the date and you pay two years interest at 24%, around half the price of the merchandise or worse.

It's all in the fine print.

When we were moving. Looks like the movers were doing us a favour. We're paying them. Would've been cheaper if I hired a U-Haul & just buy booze for friends

Hey everyone,

This happened to my brother's inlaws yesterday. They booked movers through kijiji for $800 for the move. The guy brought a small truck than what they requested. Then he held the stuff hostage at a gas station demanding more money ($800 for a second trip). After getting the extra $800 he dropped all the stuff in the truck on their lawn and drove off. He never did the second trip. Cops wouldn't get involved.

Cheapest isn't always better.

We just moved and booked the truck and movers through uhaul. Hired really well rated guys that did an amazing job. The move cost me $400.

Be careful with kijiji when you hire someone. Get the contract o something in writing and avoid paying cash!

Just guessing but the contact was a cell number and any address given is a mailbox. A ten year old can print an invoice / letterhead with HST numbers taken from the local drug store.

Moving is a lucrative scam market because most people don't move often enough to be familiar with the risks. If I was moving into a new house and money was going to be tight I would love to save a grand or two. The temptation is there. So is the risk.

Cops won't get involved as they see this as a contract dispute and they aren't lawyers or judges. A contract was entered into, verbal or written, and it is in dispute. They said this, you said that, you misstated loads, they implied something etc, etc, etc.

When we were moving. Looks like the movers were doing us a favour. We're paying them. Would've been cheaper if I hired a U-Haul & just buy booze for friends

I thought my brother had lost his mind when he planned his move for Grey Cup day.

However he recruited every last friend to help, rented the biggest truck he could, outfitted it with as many moving aids as possible and started early in the morning. People loaded their cars with fragile stuff and the workload per person was minimal.

When we got to the new house we unloaded the TV, sofas and chairs, cracked open the beer and watched the game.

Not as dumb as I thought.

I thought my brother had lost his mind when he planned his move for Grey Cup day.

However he recruited every last friend to help, rented the biggest truck he could, outfitted it with as many moving aids as possible and started early in the morning. People loaded their cars with fragile stuff and the workload per person was minimal.

When we got to the new house we unloaded the TV, sofas and chairs, cracked open the beer and watched the game.

Not as dumb as I thought.
Smart chap. Everybody thought it was just a big party. They probably diid work without realizing it

Payment on completion. Put GPS tracker in your stuff to be moved. Invest in baseball bats and valve core removal tool.

how bout just hire a real moving company like Mayflower or Atlas Van lines that has been around for ever? Never has get what you pay for been truer.

So glad I always just 'hire' friends with beer and pizza...mind you I'm fortunate that I have that option available.

This goes on all the time, and it's amazing that the police / courts don't go after these guys as it's basically holding your stuff hostage and you're stuck with no option BUT to pay....unless you have counterfeit cash on you...then that would be super fun. In this type of business I would only go with a reputable company or some company that was referred to me by a trusted person. Better to pay a bit more than get shafted.

So glad I always just 'hire' friends with beer and pizza...mind you I'm fortunate that I have that option available.

This goes on all the time, and it's amazing that the police / courts don't go after these guys as it's basically holding your stuff hostage and you're stuck with no option BUT to pay....unless you have counterfeit cash on you...then that would be super fun. In this type of business I would only go with a reputable company or some company that was referred to me by a trusted person. Better to pay a bit more than get shafted.

What! No pierogies?

how bout just hire a real moving company like Mayflower or Atlas Van lines that has been around for ever? Never has get what you pay for been truer.

As much as their name sounds like a scammy company, El Cheapo is pretty good as well. I used them on my last move and it only cost me 100 bucks an hour. They didnt **** around at all, showed up, grabbed everything, drove to the new place, put everything where I wanted it. Took around 2.5 hours, nothing was broken, no problems at all. I would use them again for a move in the GTA.

My last move I hired movers but I supplied the truck (rented) and did not use theirs. Had some buddies around for supervision. No problems.

We just moved back to Barrie September 1. I rented a Uhaul and got all hands on deck. My wife and I along with my 9 and 10 year old moved everything by ourselves, zero outside help.
Everything went smoothly except for Uhaul, the guy that had the truck before me brought it back at 3:30 pm. Unfortunately I was scheduled and there waiting at 9:30 am. To be fair, it's not really Uhaul's fault the other guy was a dick and returned it late.
They did attempt to find a replacement but being September 1 and college/university it was no dice.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hired a big reputable mover that had been around forever. They sub contracted the move to a smaller guy who was less reputable. They in turn sub contracted it out to someone who changed the dates twice, then showed up with a 150 year old driver, who sat on his *** while complaining that he was doing all of the work, and another guy who seemed nice, but had gotten caught up in something bad. They were supposed to have hired some others to help, but that fell through. Move ended with the old guy screaming at the top of his lungs in front of our house at 2 a.m. You don't always get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom