Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

Chrome OS is different than Android. I'm not sure how and I thought they were the same until recently.

You can also install Android, as another user mentioned.

Mint is pretty nice from the small amount I played with it.

Puppy Linux is pretty quick but not as easy and useable as I'd like. It's designed to run off a USB stick though which can be handy if your machine is so screwed a hard drive won't even work lol.

@unL33T I did not realize that either. I guess that's why the guy at Best Buy said that there isn't a Chromebook app for Skype, and I was confused because we have it on the tablet.
Gonna try playing with the netbook and see how it works for me (net, contests etc) as is with Win7. If this works out, then great. If not, I will come back for the other options.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This thread has inspired me to try putting Android on one of the old 2006 MacBook Pros I have in a drawer here. Maybe next week sometime. They're both running Windows 10 right now.

Edit: Got it installed but I just get a Google Play Services has stopped message. Apparently it's been fixed in the source but not in the precompiled release and I'm not smart enough to compile myself.

Lubuntu is a lightweight version of Ubuntu that seemed to work well, also.

Edit 2: found a newer release of Android x86 but that one stalls on a "Just a sec..." message after selecting the language and never finishes loading. The previous one I tried had a "Please insert SIM card" page here that you could skip. I give up.

Last edited:
Anyone getting the same browser issue on mobile as me?

Sent from the Purple Zone

Fyi -- guy at work did something to the tablet that was having problems. Maybe rooted it? Has dev options now. Not gonna touch any of that, but the thing is up and running for my little guy now ☺

Joe, check Youtube for videos on Elementary OS (0.4 newest version).
I used the first release and it was pretty damn good.

It's easy to install and looks like MAC and Windows.
It's fast on slower machines such as netbooks or older laptops.

Fyi -- guy at work did something to the tablet that was having problems. Maybe rooted it? Has dev options now. Not gonna touch any of that, but the thing is up and running for my little guy now ☺

I doubt he rooted it - hopefully he didn't without your permission.

You can enable/access developer options by tapping the build number in "About Device" 10 times (or something like that).

Rooting a device for someone whose primary use is for games can restrict you from online games (usually games that can be deemed as a game with "competitive play") which would be less than ideal.

@Plau it seems that he just put a different OS on it. Everything is going well so far. ?

So at Twitter I'm an expert, but FB and Insta, not so much. I changed my settings in Twitter to go back to a chronological timeline, anyone know if there's an option for it in the other sites? I don't need anyone telling me what's more important than something else.

Here's the latest:
Got a notification that one of the tablets signed in to one of my Google accounts last night.
Thing is, I don't remember creating this account. Although, I may have.
I reset the password as my other email was the recovery one.
Signed into gmail and it seems this was set up in 08/14.
Emails never opened. I totally could have opened this account/ or my kid.
Here's the question : do I have anything to worry about?
And also, how do I figure out what app accessed it last night?
By logging in and syncing this account, did I just somehow give someone access to my phone? (Lucky them. Selfies of me! )
Or am I just being paranoid?

Here's the latest:
Got a notification that one of the tablets signed in to one of my Google accounts last night.
Thing is, I don't remember creating this account. Although, I may have.
I reset the password as my other email was the recovery one.
Signed into gmail and it seems this was set up in 08/14.
Emails never opened. I totally could have opened this account/ or my kid.
Here's the question : do I have anything to worry about?
And also, how do I figure out what app accessed it last night?
By logging in and syncing this account, did I just somehow give someone access to my phone? (Lucky them. Selfies of me! )
Or am I just being paranoid?

does the above have anything to do with what just happened, and you forgot about it....did someone just start google on the tablet, since the time you got it running...

does the above have anything to do with what just happened, and you forgot about it....did someone just start google on the tablet, since the time you got it running...
Possibly?
But I have 2 Samsung tab2's. So not sure which one...
But I think you may be onto something.
Wife has a game on hers (original )
Little guy wanted same game on his (new os)
Possible that when he opened it, the game somehow used the old gmail account originally associated with out ip?
That would make a helluva lotta sense.

Go to GMail on a desktop. In the upper right corner click on your profile picture. Click on My Account. Click on Sign In and Security. There are options there to view logins, connected devices, and connected apps & sites.

There are probably a dozen other ways to access the same thing but that's the one I know of.

Turn on 2-factor authentication on your Google account. Before the password can ever be changed (in case someone was trying to hijack your account) you have to input a code that is sent to your cellphone via SMS.

Gmail send a notice if you log in from a device not used in a while. Do you have that acct auto login? I'd change that if you do from other devices.

Go to GMail on a desktop. In the upper right corner click on your profile picture. Click on My Account. Click on Sign In and Security. There are options there to view logins, connected devices, and connected apps & sites.

There are probably a dozen other ways to access the same thing but that's the one I know of.

You can also go to the bottom of your email list and on the right is a "Details" text button you click to show logged in locations/IPs and shut them off.

Ok
So I had tucked my Garmin gps in the centre comsole face down a couple months ago as I wasn't needing it.
Needed to get to Hershey centre the other day so took it out to use it and there is a smokey "cloud" through the centre of the display. Am I effed?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Ok
So I had tucked my Garmin gps in the centre comsole face down a couple months ago as I wasn't needing it.
Needed to get to Hershey centre the other day so took it out to use it and there is a smokey "cloud" through the centre of the display. Am I effed?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
As in it's all scratched in the middle?

Can you take a pic?

Back
Top Bottom