Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

So...another issue I'm having is that when I open a link from and email, twitter etc it's opening with the Samsung (?) browser. Anyone know where I can make Chrome the default? I can't seem to find it.
Also, anyone know if it's possible to take the kid's old netbook and turn it into a Stream? (Microsoft version of a Chromebook, I believe )

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean by Stream... AFAIK Microsoft still ships Windows 10 on netbooks.

Lol... that explains my confusion. Looking up Microsoft Stream these days will give you results about some business teleconferencing snorefest.

I guess the answer to your question is yes, just install a newish version of Windows on it :p If the netbook is really old, I would temper my expectations though. And just don't bother if it has only like 512MB of RAM... 1 GB is pretty miserable with Windows 10, though now the official requirement is 2 GB (it was only 1 GB at launch)

Are you looking to limit the Netbook to just online use or refresh it with an OS install?
Here's my thought process: we just got my son a Chromebook as an early Christmas gift. (Best Buy cyber Monday deal all in $215.) so he can do his homework upstairs where I can keep an eye on him ?
He was having trouble with the netbook booting up and running Chrome (they use Google classroom for assignments). I see this Chromebook and how fast it works and think to myself "what if I can get rid of all the bs from the netbook and use it like the Chromebook? It will be faster and only have to use limited power."
So I guess my long winded answer is yes, online only. ?
It seems a waste to not put this to good use, but iirc the Acer Aspire One is 1gb of ram, so not great for a lot of things but should be okay as an online machine. (Email, Hangouts...CONTESTS ☺)

Here's my thought process: we just got my son a Chromebook as an early Christmas gift. (Best Buy cyber Monday deal all in $215.) so he can do his homework upstairs where I can keep an eye on him ? He was having trouble with the netbook booting up and running Chrome (they use Google classroom for assignments). I see this Chromebook and how fast it works and think to myself "what if I can get rid of all the bs from the netbook and use it like the Chromebook? It will be faster and only have to use limited power." So I guess my long winded answer is yes, online only. ? It seems a waste to not put this to good use, but iirc the Acer Aspire One is 1gb of ram, so not great for a lot of things but should be okay as an online machine. (Email, Hangouts...CONTESTS ☺) Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Going to swap the OS for something smaller and faster, and then buy cloud space?

Going to swap the OS for something smaller and faster, and then buy cloud space?
Or use USB. Or not save anything, other than to my existing online storage. Is this possible to do? Remember my lack of tech- spertize.

To clarify: is it possible to swap for a more Chromebook like OS/ Win 10 tablet OS?

Last edited:
I've reloaded an Acer Aspire One for my niece/nephew in the past. Back then put in XP Pro and it ran just fine. It's all the bloatware and added apps that slow things down. Fresh install and with the minimum of crap it should work fine. As long as the video card can keep up, even movies and TV should be fine.

I've reloaded an Acer Aspire One for my niece/nephew in the past. Back then put in XP Pro and it ran just fine. It's all the bloatware and added apps that slow things down. Fresh install and with the minimum of crap it should work fine. As long as the video card can keep up, even movies and TV should be fine.
Yeah. It seems to be ok for what I am using it for. Might see what else I can get rid of, and maybe use it to watch Netflix hooked up to the tv. Now that Rogers ditched Shomi.

return the chrome book
you can buy a decent laptop (off lease) powerful i3 maybe i5 Toshiba for $250 (15 inch screen)

You can also run Android on some Netbooks :)

Elementary OS was pretty cool and fast. Looks like Mac, easy to use.
Have a look at that.

What's the least resource intensive free OS? ...that actually works reasonably for online use.

Working reasonably for online use is a big caveat - example: I have an Acer Aspire One with an Atom N270 that runs Windows 10 reasonably well. It's not the snappiest computer in the house, but you can use it for normal computer things. Surfing the internet is a mixed bag - anything with a complicated website (e.g. CSS heavy, Javascript heavy, HTML5) and it kinda chokes on it. It can handle stuff like GTAM, Reddit and email just fine. It's not an OS thing, is what I'm trying to say - you need some horsepower to browse modern websites.

That said, you could try Xubuntu or Lubuntu and see how it works out for you

I like playing with 'puters sometimes. Have some old laptops(XP and older age) and desktops and just never got around to playing with Ubuntu and the like. Have an old copy kicking around that I never did anything with. Always ended up installing Windows of multiple generations. Yeah, it's the horse power they are lacking, so mostly why they are on the shelf. Just thought I might recycle them into some use.

return the chrome book
you can buy a decent laptop (off lease) powerful i3 maybe i5 Toshiba for $250 (15 inch screen)
Thanks to a fellow gtamer, he has a win10 pc that does everything else that he may need/ want. The Chromebook is for homework so that he can do it in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on him.

Gonna check out some of those Android os links as well. That's basically what I was aiming at.

Back to the Chrome browser for the Android phone: did the thing where I clear my defaults, and then set Chrome as the default browser. However, this browser is different than before. It says "powered by Chrome" but to set bookmarks etc, I have to hit another button that says "open in chrome". This is an added step that never used to be here, prior to the phone reset. Am I doing something wrong?

7e875bf113f617016ea034bcd9797dbc.jpg

Oh, and thanks to all the advice with the messaging problem. Fyi, it was all user error. ? I had an email contact added in the group by accident.
Now you know why I have to ask for advice! ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom