Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

It doesn't look to hard but the screen itself is around $80

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/LG+G5+Screen+Replacement/71915
I also watched another video. They had the speaker changeover in it. It also said the camera needed to be moved over.
The $80 doesn't seem too bad imo. I will look on Amazon as well as the kid has some gift cards for them, and I'm making him pay for the screen. He needs to learn some responsibility.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Have you tried plugging it to the computer to transfer the pictures?

Good point, this will probably be much easier. File management on mobile devices can be frustrating

I will try that. Don't really use the laptop much as it is quite old.
But what about in the future? I can't seem to find a setting where it will save to SD card.

I will try that. Don't really use the laptop much as it is quite old.
But what about in the future? I can't seem to find a setting where it will save to SD card.

Normally, open settings(gear icon) in the camera app. There should be a setting to save on device or sd card.

in android its not a setting, to move files
it's done with a file manager
it's tedious AF unless you have a 3rd party app installed

navigate to the file or folder you wanna move
long press on screen to bring up dialog box
select move, choose destination

just plugging into a PC is much easier if it's a lot of files

as for the future
I think the setting to choose save location is within the camera app

While checking Amazon for a deal on the screen, I came across this. Now I know that this won't solve the screen resolution issue, but it looks like it should solve the safety issue of the broken part.
What say you all?

MMOBIEL Front Glass for LG G5 (Black) Display Touchscreen incl Tool Kit / Pre-cut Sticker / Tweezers / Roll of Adhesive Tape / Suction Cup / Metal Wire / cleaning cloth https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06W2H1P96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4bfdBbCSAPBYM

Last edited:
While checking Amazon for a deal on the screen, I came across this. Now I know that this won't solve the screen resolution issue, but it looks like it should solve the safety issue of the broken part.
What say you all?

we say, we need a link :)

we say, we need a link :)
....aaaand now you know why I suck at this! Lol
Edited the post. :-\

So used to bonded screens didn't even think about the glass alone being replaceable. Supposedly it's tricky to do, so depends on how comfortable you are with the idea

glass and digitizer are glued together
requires heat and a lot of careful work to separate

tbh, you'd be better off to buy a screen and digitizer combo
less work, and much lower probability of tossing the phone in the trash

What say you all?

MMOBIEL Front Glass for LG G5 (Black) Display Touchscreen incl Tool Kit / Pre-cut Sticker / Tweezers / Roll of Adhesive Tape / Suction Cup / Metal Wire / cleaning cloth https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06W2H1P96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4bfdBbCSAPBYM

The vertical lines in your screen concern me. I think the LCD is damaged, not just the glass cover. Trying to remove the shattered glass involves some pulling and prying. That may finish off the screen below.

EDIT: I'm with Javafan

Thanks guys.

I’ve done a screen and digitizer replacement on an iphone 6. Took about an hour to an hour and a half as I kept watching and re-watching the youtube video.

It was a kit bought on Amazon. The quality was good. Everything worked on the phone except voice commands with Siri. Kid doesn’t care about that anyways.

Have you checked at a local repair shop how much it would cost for them to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at the local plaza and stopped in at the cell repair place. $120 all in. For the extra $30 I think it may be a no brainer. Now he just needs to get a job to pay for half.
Thanks all.

Now about the tablet:
Will a factory reset be enough to make it usable again? Or should I get it "rooted" and "flashed" with a custom "ROM"? This would obviously be to save storage space normally wasted by the Samsung bloatware.
(I have no clue if I used all those terms correctly.)

Haven't switched over the tablet yet...setting the new one now....will report back.

But now.....I have dropped my LG G4 a few times....the other day I'm on a call using speakerphone and then I can't hear anything and they can't hear me. I switch to regular call and all good. As far as I can tell all other aspects of my phone and mic work. I have tried clearing the phones cache. Didn't help.
Any suggestions?

So.....I turned the phone off and back on and now it works.
...and that's why I have this thread.

Back
Top Bottom