Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

I think it's easier on your eyes to see information and less eyestrain.

You got your phone setup...you walking around saying whiskey cheese?
Lol
All day today!

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Well that sucks
Edit: meaning that I thought that I was right about something for once

At one time you would have been right. Though further reading has indicated you may use less battery with a dark screen on an oled screen (though more battery than a led/LCD screen)

Loving my LGG4 (thanks @-D- ), but one issue I'm having is that the Play Store always seems to not want to open.
So I have to force stop (as per Google) and then it boots right up. But I'm not sure why it is doing this in the first place. Anyone?

If there's no updates for your phone then you're SOL unfortunately. It'll probably get fixed eventually

Will check updates

Loving my LGG4 (thanks @-D- ), but one issue I'm having is that the Play Store always seems to not want to open.
So I have to force stop (as per Google) and then it boots right up. But I'm not sure why it is doing this in the first place. Anyone?

I don't have that issue.
You can remove your account reboot the phone then sign back into playstore and see if that works.
You can try uninstalling the playstore BUT first you need to have the playstore app to manually install it.

go into the apps section find playstore and clear the cache and data, reboot, login and tray that.

try my idea in bold first

^ one of the few times clearing cache & data might actually do something

Update: clearing the cache worked
Need to get an sd card though, apps are taking up ALOT of space. I remember when 32gb was huge

New issue: kid is saying that the pc he is using (graciously gifted from a GTAMer), is lagging with some new game he bought (overstrike? Overkill?) CSGO seems to be working fine. He thinks that he needs more RAM to remedy this. Is he correct? He has 4gb of RAM. How can I check how much we can upgrade to?
Iirc, when I went to upgrade my old pc, I was told there was a limit that the motherboard(?) could handle.
And then....anyone have some used, inexpensive RAM for sale?

Double check if I put 64 bit or 32 bit Windows on there. Should be 64 though. You'd have to look up the motherboard specs or maybe model number to know the maximum RAM (and I have no idea what board is in it). 8 or 16 gb might help but it's a pretty old machine to start with. Worth a try, I suppose.

Update: clearing the cache worked
Need to get an sd card though, apps are taking up ALOT of space. I remember when 32gb was huge

New issue: kid is saying that the pc he is using (graciously gifted from a GTAMer), is lagging with some new game he bought (overstrike? Overkill?) CSGO seems to be working fine. He thinks that he needs more RAM to remedy this. Is he correct? He has 4gb of RAM. How can I check how much we can upgrade to?
Iirc, when I went to upgrade my old pc, I was told there was a limit that the motherboard(?) could handle.
And then....anyone have some used, inexpensive RAM for sale?

Sounds like OverWatch.

Extra RAM could potentially help, however a mobo would have specific RAM types(models?) it could use.

You can check by opening it up and checking the number of slots available (google the image of a RAM stick). The RAM type will also likely be labelled on a sticker "PCXXXXXX". Can also find out the mobo model and figure out what other RAM is compatible with it.

Could also be internet speed, or overall processing power.

Older computers (not specifically made for gaming) will likely have problems running newer graphic intensive(ish) games.

Could also adjust graphics options in the game to a lower setting to see if it helps.

Overwatch is made to scale for pokey computers though, you could play it on a laptop

Overwatch is made to scale for pokey computers though, you could play it on a laptop

I wouldn't know much about OverWatch as I never got into it. xD

I've played Overwatch on a "Free week" and had a bit of lag issues though on a "light gaming laptop" (pretty much just a laptop with 2 x 1GB video cards).

That being said, I haven't owned a desktop for over 10 years.

Last edited:
My laptop is at least twice as powerful as the computer we're discussing here and it's 5 years old.

Not saying the machine won't run it. Just that there's a good chance more RAM won't fix it.

@plau as @unL33t said, it is an old machine, so that could also be the issue. Great system for everything he NEEDS, but not for what he WANTS.
He is able to play less intensive games and, more importantly, do his homework.
Internet speed based on his speed test was good.
Sorry, what's a 'mobo'?

Yeah, @unL33t, iirc correctly it is 64. And still super appreciative for it.
We will try the ram route. He will be using his paper route money. Gotta teach him that him will literally have to "pay to play".

"Mobo" is short for "motherboard".

If there's a model number on that thing post it and I'll look up the max RAM. Or you might be able to get the motherboard model from somewhere in the boot options / BIOS. I think there are programs that'll tell you too but it's been awhile since I played with those. Can also open it up and try to find the motherboard model written on it somewhere.

From what I recall that one was some kind of Dell? Could be horribly mistaken though. Lately it's HP for me.

Thanks guys
Will get the kid to open it up/ check bios later today.
mobo. I should have got that.

My laptop is at least twice as powerful as the computer we're discussing here and it's 5 years old.

Not saying the machine won't run it. Just that there's a good chance more RAM won't fix it.

Right, that's what I meant to say and what I was supposed to be leading into. Overwatch is not RAM intensive. What kind of GPU does this jalopy have?

Right, that's what I meant to say and what I was supposed to be leading into. Overwatch is not RAM intensive. What kind of GPU does this jalopy have?
Gonna have him check that as well.
Yes, I had to Google GPU

Yeah I don't remember what GPU was in it. Something powerful when it came out but not so much by today's standards.

Back
Top Bottom