Aprilia Mana 850 GT | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia Mana 850 GT

ifiddles

I am in the market for a new bike to replace my FZ6R...I was looking at the Can Am Spyder (took one out today and while it's very different, was kind of fun, except for the high winds out in the Niagara area)...also looking at the FZ07 (which I hope to take out for a test ride on Monday as I actually found a dealer with a demo)...I came across a 2010 Aprilia Mana 850 GT with low km for a decent price...curious about these things...has 7 speed CVT automatic and after talking to the guy, sounds a lot like the Spyder (although the Mana will automatically up shift for you as well unlike the Spyder which will only downshift automatically)...it does have a paddle shifter of sorts so you can up shift or down shift manually as well...comes with ABS, three modes (touring, rain and sport) and storage space where the tank should be with the fuel access under the passenger seat...anyone have experience with this or other Aprilia products...I know they are Italian (yeah since I'm one too) but other than that, no idea...I will do some research online but wanted some real world local knowledge...tia, Ivana

The 7 speed thing is just an alternate mode where the CVT switches between 7 fixed ratios. When the CVT is doing it's thing it's more like a snowmobile.

Demonstration @ 1:40

[video=youtube;8Orj5OVRWmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Orj5OVRWmM[/video]

if you thinking about an auto bike, i recommend looking at the Honda NC750X .. fantastic bike. And it not CVT but dual clutch. Up and down shifts on its own and does it quite well.

Honestly I have zero experience with aprillia or the mana. But I did want to say that the mana definitely looks very cool, I've always admired them.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

if you thinking about an auto bike, i recommend looking at the Honda NC750X .. fantastic bike. And it not CVT but dual clutch. Up and down shifts on its own and does it quite well.

I sat on the NC750S at Burlington cycle...they have an overstock 2014 in the showroom for $8500 out the door...it's heavier than the FZ6R but because of where the tank is and how the engine is placed, it actually felt lighter and easier to put upright...

Interestingly, for most riders, the Mana will be faster around a track than an equivalent bike with a conventional gearbox. You are always in the right gear and never need to stop accelerating while shifting. Consumers just can't/don't want to get used to this (that is why most CVT shift as if they have distinct gears). I like that people have options. Why are you focusing on automatic bikes?

Talk to George at Corsa Meccanica and see what he thinks of them. He had one in his showroom around the time that one was new. See how they are holding up.

Interestingly, for most riders, the Mana will be faster around a track than an equivalent bike with a conventional gearbox. You are always in the right gear and never need to stop accelerating while shifting. Consumers just can't/don't want to get used to this (that is why most CVT shift as if they have distinct gears). I like that people have options. Why are you focusing on automatic bikes?

Talk to George at Corsa Meccanica and see what he thinks of them. He had one in his showroom around the time that one was new. See how they are holding up.

will do...actually I'm not focusing on automatic bikes...the Spyder is being considered due to the ability to do touring on it and it will keep my family happy (I crashed my bike 3 weeks ago and while nothing is broken, i'm pretty sore and stiff)...but I am also looking at the FZ07 and the Honda NC750S...

will do...actually I'm not focusing on automatic bikes...the Spyder is being considered due to the ability to do touring on it and it will keep my family happy (I crashed my bike 3 weeks ago and while nothing is broken, i'm pretty sore and stiff)...but I am also looking at the FZ07 and the Honda NC750S...
Why would the spider be a better choice? It has all the disadvantages of a car and a motorcycle, exposed like a bike lack of maneuverability and wide like a car and 3 wheel track makes obstacles very hard to avoid. If you are proficient at shifting the fz07 would be a great choice and way less expensive to fix than a cvt. The NC is a dog with a civic derived engine. How about a Miata better for touring more fun to drive than a spyder and much safer can be had with an auto as well, bonus is you can put the roof up if it rains.

Why would the spider be a better choice? It has all the disadvantages of a car and a motorcycle, exposed like a bike lack of maneuverability and wide like a car and 3 wheel track makes obstacles very hard to avoid. If you are proficient at shifting the fz07 would be a great choice and way less expensive to fix than a cvt. The NC is a dog with a civic derived engine. How about a Miata better for touring more fun to drive than a spyder and much safer can be had with an auto as well, bonus is you can put the roof up if it rains.

true...didn't think about the obstacle thing...well I am hopefully test riding an FZ07 tomorrow and if I like it, I will probably get it...been eying them since April well before my crash...I miss my '07 Miata :(

The Mana 850 is brilliant but limited use. In that category the Burgman 650 Exec rules for flexible use. Same transmission but excellent storage and touring features.

There are several on Kiji from $2800 to $5600...

This is a good deal ..stay off 2003 and 2004
$_27.JPG

The Execs are nicer with heated grips and power windscreen. I still miss mine theo CBF is a treat.

I put 100,000 km on my two with total needed repairs - two batteries and I've done back to back 1,000 km.
Check out the forum
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/

this review is the one that got me into the category ( sore hands from too many years with drop bars ). The VFR800 rider got it correct..no losing the Burgman 650.
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

and this is a freak out.
Track rider, knows the road ....ideal circumstances :D

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/70658-high-praise-650-burgman.html

The bike is way more capable than most riders including me.

Honda 700 series is POS ...horrid engine and they don't do automatics, The Burgman 650 is the gold standard and why Mana used it with some added settings. A CB500x or a Vstrom 650 much preferred.
Fair review of both
https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

You could always snag a CBF1000 and never want for thrills. Only 500 lb with torque from the detuned FireBlade engine.

honda-cbf1000-10.jpg

or touring rig..I put 10k km on mine between Sept 15th and close of season last year ( basically end of Dec )

mine is for sale if you are interested

I'm in Australia til May 2017 - only reason. I'm selling. Staff can arrange a look see if interested.
Bike I had never heard of but wildly popular in Europe a a lighter, faster successor to the ST1100. ( lovely ride but heavy and hot in traffic ).

At 500 lb and flat torquet curve the CBF1000 really is a sport tourer. Best brakes too...Honda Dual Link C-ABS.
Took them right from the Fireblade to consumer bikes.

If you say more about your use ...people can advise better....also your weight/height/inseam has some influence.

Last edited:
Sounds like whatever you own is a peach, other bikes suck .... LOL .... anything else you are looking to sell??

Agree with what you say about the Spyder. I would rather get the new Mazda MX5 (They did away with the Miata name) As for the NC. I disagree. Well yes what you say is true about the standard NC. I had a 2014 NC750S and the 6500 rpm red line got annoying at times. Kept bouncing off the rev limiter. But on the other hand. To compare. The Ninja 650R red line is 10500. But usable is only from around 4000 to 9000. Below 4000 you are lugging the engine. On the NC you can use ALL of it. from idle to red line is usable. The joke about the NC engine was that it is half a Honda FIT. What is a game changer for the NC is the DCT. My bike is really fast off the line with the DCT. Fast enough but does not get you into crazy ludicrous speed.

iFiddles is looking for a low seat height light sport touring bike. Another bike to look at is the Suzuki SV650A. Seat height is a bit lower than the FZ07 but is 30lb heavier.

Skyway6 is right...I loved my FZ6R but always found it top heavy...I am 5'4" with a 28" inseam and weigh 100 lbs soaking wet...LOL...I enjoy the curves and twisties but also enjoy just chilling and taking in the scenery...I like the FZ07 because of its light weight and funny enough, I can almost flat foot it better than I could my FZ6R without lowering it...thing that worries me about the Yami is its power and tourque...I think it would get me into trouble...I may have to go to Ready Powersports and just sit on a whole bunch of bikes to get feel for them, then look around for a deal on something I liked...saw a Burgman last weekend up close...cool machine but not my style...I would love to just take off and tour Canada and parts of the US and seeing as I have summers off, it would be doable on a Spyder (and like I think I said before, family would be a lot happier since they're safer - supposedly)...keep the suggestions coming...ideally, I would prefer new but a few years old with some mileage is fine too...budget for brand new is around $8000 or $15000 for a Spyder...

at 5'4" and 100lb lady the Burgman would be good, they dont come in men's....

The Mana is pretty neat, but your into an Italian product, and I've owned many and can do 90% of my own work.

The FZ07 sounds like a nice ride

there is a great review of the FZ07 on YouTube by "Cager on Two Wheels". It is a 2 part with part 2 i find hilarious. He really pushes the bike and shows just how fast the bike is. He is i believe in Portugal (the bike models in Europe are the MT07) I find the beginning of part 2 funny. He was trying to go fast but the bike had so much pull that he could not extend his fingers to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Soon after he does a speed test and hits 172kph in 5th gear. Was doing 140ish in 4th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRg9Vky3VA

oh and as for the Spyder being safer. yes it will stop you from doing a low / high side but other than that you are still exposed to the elements. The risks are the same as any bike (no seat belts / air bags / steel cage around you compared to a car) And twisty roads are actually more dangerous as the Spyder does not lean into the curve and there is no way to drag a knee / lean off the side like a regular bike, so the G-force tries to throw you off the side.

at 5'4" and 100lb lady the Burgman would be good, they dont come in men's....

Ummm you have no idea what you are talking about....it's 600 lb bike that will eat most machines off the line and in the twists....I bought mine off someone had the same misconception as you - broke his collar bone and I got a $15k machine out the door for $7k cash.
A Burgman 650 is NOT a beginner machine or for someone with a short inseam and little strength.

Perhaps you are confused in your knowledge base...:rolleyes:

3389c12fe1c1d4094d76bd5e5928acac.jpg

Back
Top Bottom