Need opinion on used bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need opinion on used bike.

Kawasucki

Just looking for an opinion here. Saw an fz-09 the other day, has about 1400km on it, owner says they purchased it last year and rode it this year.

The oil is pretty black, when I inquired they told me they haven't changed it so its running the dealership oil. I believe the break in period on these bikes are 600miles or roughly 1000km.

Apart from that, there was a bit of a pulsating idle, though it was a cold start and I don't think the bike has been started in awhile.

Is this something I should worry about? I know he missed the change interval, but the bikes so new I cant imagine there being any serious damage. It would just be something I would change right away if I decided to purchase.

Thanks,

Why are they selling it at 1400km

FZ-09 is a triple unless I'm mistaken, so that may cause the pulsating idle you speak of perhaps?

You're right, most bikes get their first service at a 1000 km. I don't think missing that is a huge deal though. They typically check fastener torqued, change the oil and inspect it. Not a deal breaker.

Black oil at 1400k.... yikes . Any warranty left ?????.. move on.

Black oil at 1400k.... yikes . Any warranty left ?????.. move on.

+1 black oil at 1400kms. something doesn't fit because a bike with 1400 kms doesn't/shouldn't have black oil. either the kms are rolled back or the bike isn't running properly.

what is your gut telling you? look at lots of bikes.

There's black oil and then there's blacker oil ... you won't be able to see how black the oil is in a site glass that looks inside of a black engine...

did you dipstick it or take a drop on a white sheet of paper towel ?

+1 have to see it on it's own, not thru a sight glass. Mine looks pretty dark just after a few hundred klicks.

At 1400KM it probably never had the first service. Which isnt terrible, its only 400km late. The factory oil will be pretty black by then, but its very likely still completely fine.

There's black oil and then there's blacker oil ... you won't be able to see how black the oil is in a site glass that looks inside of a black engine...

That's a good point. No I was only viewing it from the sight glass.

Honestly the guy seemed genuine. Yes it's missed the first service but I have no problem doing that myself. I just got burned on my last used bike though that wasn't as new. So I have my apprehensions.

That's a good point. No I was only viewing it from the sight glass.

Honestly the guy seemed genuine. Yes it's missed the first service but I have no problem doing that myself. I just got burned on my last used bike though that wasn't as new. So I have my apprehensions.

So go buy it ... get buyer's remorse, let me know and I'll buy it off you for a dollar... seems like a plan ! You won't get stuck with it if you don't like it.

+1. The "window" is the size of a dime. Bleed a lil oil to actually see the color.

You can take a sample of the oil and have it analysed to see if there are irregular particles lurking within.

Back
Top Bottom