TD non renewal policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

TD non renewal policy

gaihosa

I was wondering if anyone knows what criteria TD Insurance uses to not renew your motorcycle policy. I know for auto they use a three strikes you're out mixture of tickets and accidents as that already happened last year and my auto policy was not renewed but my motorcycle policy was.

The reason I ask is because I may be facing yet another ticket and perhaps its best to switch companies before the final verdict (I am currently fighting it with a court date in October 2016). If I change companies now they will only see two accidents and one ticket otherwise if I wait when TD renews my policy they will see two accidents and possible two tickets and maybe I may be facing non renewal.

Also the one accident comes off in March 2017 so again if I change companies now upon renewal one year later (September 2017) my record will show one accident and maybe two tickets. If I stay with TD with the motorcycle policy which renews in February 2017 I may run the risk of having all four however the one accident comes off one month later so there is basically a one month over lap for that. Not sure how that is looked at either.

I would rather just stay with TD and not go through the hassle of finding another company but if I am going to face non renewal again I would rather make the move now.

Both accidents are at-fault and both tickets are minor speeding.

Any input is much appreciated.

If you think the pending ticket is inevitable (and you're just delaying it by fighting it) then there's some merit to changing now IF you think they're not going to renew you, but it seems that's a likely possibilty.

That said, with 2 at faults and 2 tickets already on your record I think you're going to find it near impossible to get insurance anywhere else short of facility. In short, call around BEFORE you cancel the TD policy as you may find that just sticking with it and hoping they do renew you is your only and best hope at keeping anything close to affordable insurance. It's possible they may not check your abstract at renewal and the new ticket wouldn't even come into play, but if you're already on their radar, well...who knows.

But I wouldn't rush to exit your current insurance company. Failure to offer a renewal isn't as serious as being cancelled, so at that point you can just look around for options then.

And in the meantime, it shouldn't need to be said, but you may want to reconsider your driving/riding style otherwise you'll find yourself uninsurable real soon.

First off thank you for the reply.

That said, with 2 at faults and 2 tickets already on your record I think you're going to find it near impossible to get insurance anywhere else short of facility.

At the moment I have 2 accidents and one ticket. In October I may have two tickets depending what happens in court. In March one accident comes off so after that I will have one accident and maybe two tickets. I know it's confusing.

Since your TD Policy renews in February when having MC insurance isn't critical anyways, I'd ride it out and see what they do. If they don't offer you a renewal, wait until March when the one ticket drops off and then start shopping - I think you'll find it's going to be a bloodbath no matter what at that point especially for a MC policy, but it is what it is - if you can stay out of facility at that point that's the best you can hope for honestly, but it's not likely going to be easy.

The one month gap isn't likely to be a huge concern for many insurers. The at fault and the tickets, of course, will be.

A standard insurance application asks if you've ever been cancelled, and that's a biggie that will destroy your rates...but not being renewed isn't typically (AFAIK, anyways, don't quote me on it) asked nor held against you. Again, could be wrong on this one....

With the OP's record it likely won't be easy...I'm not even in insurance but reading 2 at-faults and 2 tickets makes red lights go off to me (also surprised the at-faults didn't lead to other tickets like they normally do).

That said, all insurance seems to be different. When I got 1 minor ticket and TD MM noticed, my rates didn't really change at all, granted it was the first ticket in about 10 years, and the only claim I have ever made was 1 zero-fault comprehensive when a raccoon ran out in front of me point-blank on the 401 of all places. All State and many others seem to do 10-15% per ticket, until the 3rd when they'd drop you (or if you end up with 1 major or criminal).

If you're still on the zx9 you may want to shop around for a virago 250. Seriously just wait, your renewal should come in the mail a month or two early, plenty of time to look around for a new company.
Also I agree that if you don't adjust your driving habits you won't be able to drive much longer.
I got a speeding ticket last year in the cage, my TD renewal went down for the cage and the bike this year. But it was my first in 20 years.
Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom