Breaking NEWS- New iPhone 7 water resistant/proof | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Breaking NEWS- New iPhone 7 water resistant/proof

You guys under a rock? Headphone jacks have been disappearing before Apple's announcements. It's been a news item for like a year now.

Many thought they were deleting the jack to make the phone thinner, but it remains the same thickness as the 6.

I'm in no way trying to be an apologist for it, and I think the quest for perpetual thinness is getting stupid, personally. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'd be happy with any manufacturer that would create a high end smartphone that offered an optional submodel that was 3 times the damn thickness of the "slim" model IF all that extra thickness was battery. As a heavy/power user I hate going to work at 8AM knowing that if I forget my car charger I'm going to be looking at a dead phone by 1PM.

I'm in no way trying to be an apologist for it, and I think the quest for perpetual thinness is getting stupid, personally. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'd be happy with any manufacturer that would create a high end smartphone that offered an optional submodel that was 3 times the damn thickness of the "slim" model IF all that extra thickness was battery. As a heavy/power user I hate going to work at 8AM knowing that if I forget my car charger I'm going to be looking at a dead phone by 1PM.

You guys under a rock? Headphone jacks have been disappearing before Apple's announcements. It's been a news item for like a year now.

It's only worth freaking out about when Apple does it first. Except they didn't. And others will follow suit, mark my words - the lack of the port makes room for other more interesting hardware, and arguably for a huge majority of the population who don't use wired headphones anymore, more useful hardware.

Why is everybody making a big deal out of the headphone jack? Their new headphones are still wired, they just come with a lightning connector instead. They also give you an adapter to go from lightning to a standard 3.5 mm jack so you can use whatever headphones you like.

I've been on my 5s since it was released and I skipped the last generation because my phone was (and still is) good. I recently got the screen replaced at P mall for $60 and I can probably wait for the 7s or even 8 to come out before I really need to upgrade.

That being said, I'm placing my order on the 9th. The real question is if I want the 7 or 7 Plus.

Can't believe they're getting rid of the headphone jack. These guys are out to lunch.

Sent from my raven

So much for the people who use their iPhones for business and take a credit card through those Square adaptors which... Well... They happen to plug into THE HEADPHONE JACK!

I guess I am a but of a Luddite at times but I have used my phone to play music in our workout room which has an older stereo. Use a 3.5 jack to RCA so that the phone can play through an input. I have Bluetooth headphones but I have had them run out of juice on a flight so I pop in my trusty old wired ear buds into my phone or tablet and happily continue on.

I'm sure Apple will try to reinvigorate their mojo next year as it is the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. I wonder what they will come out with? Maybe something revolutionary like iVR? Oops... Late to the party there.

The biggest thing which keeps me away from Apple phones is the lack of expandable storage. I went from 32 Gig in my phone to 128 Gig by swapping out the Micro SD cards and I could still upgrade to a 200 Gig card on the same phone. Screw cloud storage.

I could barely keep the pack-in earbuds in my ears. The "AirPods" are not IEMs, so now something jostles me and I lose one half of my $159 USD earrings down a storm sewer?

This is really what's going to happen - few people are going to buy the AirPods. Most people will still use the pack-in "EarPods" with the headphone adapter. Third parties may or may not come out with better headphone adapters, since accessories have to be approved by Apple now.

The lack of expandable storage has always annoyed me, especially because Apple has always had ridiculous margins on the higher capacities. One thing that I do like about Apple phones is that they have historically been supported through at least three iOS releases. Some Android phones you're lucky if you even get a single major version upgrade. This isn't as bad as it used to be since OEMs can still choose to implement Android security updates... if they feel like it.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the loss of the headphone jack and will be one of those people who do buy the wireless earbuds. What is there really to complain about? They give you an adapter with the phone so all functions as normal. Apple has generally lead the way of getting rid of old tech. I remember getting the very first iMac and people could not understand how we got a computer without a floppy disk drive. Same goes for the DVD/CD drive. I have an external one at work for my iMac for the 2 or 3 times a year someone comes in with files on disc, other then that it collects dust and is antiquated tech that takes up space for something most people can easily live without.

Never had an issue with the storage of an iPhone, sure would be nice to have expandability but not a make or break feature for me. My music is in the cloud, I do not keep movies on the phone unless I am planning on streaming it to an Apple TV somewhere, but then it is temporary. I will be going with an iPhone 7 128 gig when it comes out.

I do wish apple added wireless charging, not sure why they are lagging behind in this matter. The water resistance is a nice plus and functional addition. I always wrap mine in ziplock bags if I take it with me paddling on the river.

Truly breaking news indeed .... what else is breaking I wonder?

So much for the people who use their iPhones for business and take a credit card through those Square adaptors which... Well... They happen to plug into THE HEADPHONE JACK!

I guess I am a but of a Luddite at times but I have used my phone to play music in our workout room which has an older stereo. Use a 3.5 jack to RCA so that the phone can play through an input. I have Bluetooth headphones but I have had them run out of juice on a flight so I pop in my trusty old wired ear buds into my phone or tablet and happily continue on.
Can't even begin to count the amount of times I charge and listen to things at the same time. Or charge and plug my phone into some other non-bluetooth speaker.

Can't even begin to count the amount of times I charge and listen to things at the same time. Or charge and plug my phone into some other non-bluetooth speaker.

This is the headshaker for me - having to block the charging port to use it for headphones - until some sort of "Y" cable comes out where you can charge and use it for output at the same time that's gonna be a PITA for many.

However I do agree with the earlier post mentioning that Apple is known for putting old outdated technology into the grave before others, almost always deservedly so, and almost always with much criticism and scorn about it. I too remember when they released their first laptops without DVD/CD drives and people lost their minds, however how many laptops today still have them? Yeah, virtually none.

You can install android apps on it, I did. Youtube is your friend.
I'm happy with my Z30 at the moment. However...it may be time to update because the lack of apps completely is really getting annoying. Thinking of a 5S or DTEK50...Let the new 7 come...means that pricing for the older models will drop down a bit.

Some people really don't know why most are complaining about losing the headphone jack? Really. It's been hashed over and over again in the news even.

Losing the headphone jack is another example of fixing what isn't broken. It immediately makes many people's headphones obsolete (some of which are very expensive) and unusable and forces a $60-$200 additional purchase. And even then bluetooth has shortcomings which many people don't like and have avoided; including the need for batteries (which may be proprietary even), limited play life and recharging.

There are lots of phone options out there, so there is something for everyone.

I like to have something different, especially from the sheeple masses. I was happy to see my current flagship phone came with a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also has the best camera on the market, wireless charging (been wireless charging for about 5 years now), removable battery and a sd memory card slot for additional memory. It also has the USB-C charging port, which I have found is great.

I don't like the Iphone. Crazy prices for what you get, far from cutting edge with some uninspiring tech specs not even reasonably current (no, apple has never led the way with tech or getting rid of old tech), and I don't agree with Apple's closed business/OS philosophies. My current flagship phone still has better screen resolution than the new Iphone 7. Still, the Iphone 7 will do the job, many will love it and it will have lots of fans.

Last edited:
r7O5L33.png

Some people really don't know why most are complaining about losing the headphone jack? Really. It's been hashed over and over again in the news even.

Losing the headphone jack is another example of fixing what isn't broken. It immediately makes many people's headphones obsolete (some of which are very expensive) and unusable and forces a $60-$200 additional purchase. And even then bluetooth has shortcomings which many people don't like and have avoided; including the need for batteries (which may be proprietary even), limited play life and recharging.

There are lots of phone options out there, so there is something for everyone.

I like to have something different, especially from the sheeple masses. I was happy to see my current flagship phone came with a 3.5mm headphone jack. It also has the best camera on the market, wireless charging (been wireless charging for about 5 years now), removable battery and a sd memory card slot for additional memory. It also has the USB-C charging port, which I have found is great.

I don't like the Iphone. Crazy prices for what you get, far from cutting edge with some uninspiring tech specs not even reasonably current (no, apple has never led the way with tech or getting rid of old tech), and I don't agree with Apple's closed business/OS philosophies. My current flagship phone still has better screen resolution than the new Iphone 7. Still, the Iphone 7 will do the job, many will love it and it will have lots of fans.

How does this make those headphones unusable? They supply an adapter so you can continue to use those headphones you love so much. I am actually surprised Apple is including an adapter, thought this would be another cash grab adapter many people would buy.

Here is the thing, if you don't like it then this is not the product for you. I have no issue with the headphone jack going away, I have wired headphones and will still use them when I get my iPhone 7... till at least I get the wireless ones they announced.

Apple has led the way in getting rid of old tech, again they were the first massive manufacturer to remove the floppy drive, the CD drive and now on a portable device the headphone jack. Who else did those things across their product line?

How does this make those headphones unusable? They supply an adapter so you can continue to use those headphones you love so much. I am actually surprised Apple is including an adapter, thought this would be another cash grab adapter many people would buy.

Here is the thing, if you don't like it then this is not the product for you. I have no issue with the headphone jack going away, I have wired headphones and will still use them when I get my iPhone 7... till at least I get the wireless ones they announced.

Apple has led the way in getting rid of old tech, again they were the first massive manufacturer to remove the floppy drive, the CD drive and now on a portable device the headphone jack. Who else did those things across their product line?

I think they should remove the volume buttons next.
Use the screen to adjust volume.
Hmmm, what about removing the power button also...use the home button long press as the on/off switch.

gonna leave this here on the topic of wireless charging.

This was 2009

61u3YO6gNcL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't start ruffling my feathers over the Palm Pre again. A lot of interesting ideas there

Why is everybody making a big deal out of the headphone jack? Their new headphones are still wired, they just come with a lightning connector instead. They also give you an adapter to go from lightning to a standard 3.5 mm jack so you can use whatever headphones you like.

I've been on my 5s since it was released and I skipped the last generation because my phone was (and still is) good. I recently got the screen replaced at P mall for $60 and I can probably wait for the 7s or even 8 to come out before I really need to upgrade.

That being said, I'm placing my order on the 9th. The real question is if I want the 7 or 7 Plus.
People really aren't able to express the problem with removing the 3.5mm jack, even if they understand intuitively that it's a real dumb move.

Imagine the inverse scenario, where 3.5mm plugs were all incompatible with cell phones for some reason, and we all had to use some proprietary plug to listen to audio off our phones, and still hang onto to our 3.5mm headsets for all the other audio equipment we use every day. Then a company comes along and figures out the technology to make the worldwide, industry standard an integrated component of their cell phones. Holy friggin eureka, batman! Right? "Integrated 3.5mm audio jack" would be top line on the sales brochures.

Instead we have the jack being removed, for reasons that are clearly just excuses. For example, how are the components packaged any more efficiently? All they've done is forced people to carry an external adapter everywhere! I mean we all have our favourite headphones that aren't the standard ones that came in the box. I like my noise cancelling ones. Alternatively, my ribbon cable ones that don't get tangled. That's two new headphones I'd have to buy, or carry around a bulkier phone. As Trump would say; dumb!

This is exactly what you'd do if you wanted to worsen the user experience, from the company that's supposed to be all about the best user experience in electronics (and frankly they are). The only benefit with this change is to Apple's pocketbook, who collect royalties for every licensed Lightning connector device we buy. This very explicitly illustrates that for Apple, the bottom line is more important than the user experience.

I'll go even further and say the whole Lightning port was intended to give Apple access to royalties to begin with. The port doesn't do anything the new USB-C connector doesn't do, and Apple saw that coming in 2011, so they rolled out Lightning in 2012.

This will only help Android become the dominant platform for cell phones, in time.

People really aren't able to express the problem with removing the 3.5mm jack, even if they understand intuitively that it's a real dumb move.

Imagine the inverse scenario, where 3.5mm plugs were all incompatible with cell phones for some reason, and we all had to use some proprietary plug to listen to audio off our phones, and still hang onto to our 3.5mm headsets for all the other audio equipment we use every day. Then a company comes along and figures out the technology to make the worldwide, industry standard an integrated component of their cell phones. Holy friggin eureka, batman! Right? "Integrated 3.5mm audio jack" would be top line on the sales brochures.

This is subtle enough that I'm not sure it's even intentional. I'm not having a good mental day so apologies if it was... but this is literally how cellphones/"music phones" worked as recently as ten years ago. e.g. Sony Ericsson W300, a Walkman phone whose headline feature was being an MP3 player, did not have a 3.5mm jack

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom