Dealing with personal injury lawyer - nightmare | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealing with personal injury lawyer - nightmare

Professional associations are window dressing and only help the public/consumer in the most grave cases after much arm twisting. I'm not making this up, I read it in the Toronto Star about an investigation into the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons. So I went ahead and applied it to ALL professional associations. I did that myself.

Well done! Great research, thorough analysis, and you documented your sources!

One of the things I think the professional associations do in FAVOUR of the individuals is provide a layer of insulation from the law.

I was reviewing the history of a lawyer that had been reprimanded, including fines and/or suspension, multiple times. Discussing it with an RCMP officer I was working with at the time, he agreed that a couple of things likely would have resulted in fraud charges if it was someone else, or discovered by a police service rather than the BC Law Society. needless to say, my finding was that he was "unsuitable" for our purposes.

Back to post 1, a personal injury lawyer found you through your story here, the kijiji and wikipedia of all good rolled into one big ball of advice worth its net weight in pixie dust most days.

I'm shocked his business card doesnt read specializing in medical malpractise, personal injury, ceramic tile, basement renovation and corrective horse shoeing.

I'll be surprised when the dust settles after your claim settlement is netted out to zero he doesn't send you a bill for the .42cent stamp to mail you your net zero yield.

Corrective horse shoeing. Don't be silly.

maybe CTV will run a story, at the very least it will be a warning for everyone else...

Running to the media about things that you should have known better about (had you just read the fine print) doesn't always work out so well. There's been lots of situations where people have (deservedly) received heaps of online scorn for these sorts of situations - I'm reminded of a few people (but for one example) who ran to the media to complain about cellphone contracts and big bills only to get a million comments to the effect of "You didn't read what you agreed to when you signed the contract, and now it's someone else's fault that you are dealing with the after effects?" comments.

The bill he sent was contrary to the contract. Had I not ask for the copy, I probably would have paid out the charges he wanted me to pay. The way he tried to fool unsuspected client, especially after having a significant injury is totally unethical and unprofessional. I am having the need to find another lawyer just to take care of this guy and the bill. This is how the situation is turning out now. We will be investigating to get this guy noticed.

The lawyer is registered.

Last edited:
For any injury award under $121,799, there is now a mandatory $36,540 deductible applied to the payout. That deductible used to be $30,000 before Aug 1 2015. The deductible is meant to discourage frivolous claims.

Anyone that's never file a personal injury claim is always thrown by this part of the legislation. That's why you always want to try to push for a settlement over that lower limit if you can.

Another utopian gem dreamed up by high class society. Wouldn't want to have frivolous claims. Glad to see the .gov step in to assist insurance industry. That's what friends are for.

its a slippery slope, like that analogy in a personal injury thread? the deductible is supposed to keep frivolous claims at bay and not clog the courts. but there are lots of personal injury firms now that dont really give a client a clear picture.
The result is a guy comes to your house on a winter day after a freezing rain storm and slips on your not cleared walkway since its 8am and you havent been out yet. He wants to borrow a cup of sugar, he posts about it in a food blog because he cant make apple crisp with a broken ankle. a scummy doosh bag lawyer scaning the interwebs for any key words like broken ankle tells him that misfortune is worth $100k plus and here we go. he never tell dude about the true costs, just gets it signed up and lets his juniors file paperwork, all under the feel good banner that they are championing the little guy. The deductible should be 100k so we can not get into a US style system of suits filed for everything and anything.

Band aid solutions (lol) should not be the fix for a broken system. Trying to coral human endeavour is going to take some doing. Get some lawyers and politicians on that. Or lawyers turned politician, even better.
edit, just so I understand correctly, paying premiums on possible $123, 017 pay out but $36,905 kicked back to insurance company. Nice work. If you can get it.

Last edited:
its a slippery slope, like that analogy in a personal injury thread? the deductible is supposed to keep frivolous claims at bay and not clog the courts. but there are lots of personal injury firms now that dont really give a client a clear picture.
The result is a guy comes to your house on a winter day after a freezing rain storm and slips on your not cleared walkway since its 8am and you havent been out yet. He wants to borrow a cup of sugar, he posts about it in a food blog because he cant make apple crisp with a broken ankle. a scummy doosh bag lawyer scaning the interwebs for any key words like broken ankle tells him that misfortune is worth $100k plus and here we go. he never tell dude about the true costs, just gets it signed up and lets his juniors file paperwork, all under the feel good banner that they are championing the little guy. The deductible should be 100k so we can not get into a US style system of suits filed for everything and anything.

Actually, if my memory serves correctly the deductible only applies to motor vehicle personal injury claims. If someone slips and falls on your walkway there is no deductible.

Back to post 1, a personal injury lawyer found you through your story here, the kijiji and wikipedia of all good rolled into one big ball of advice worth its net weight in pixie dust most days.

I'm shocked his business card doesnt read specializing in medical malpractise, personal injury, ceramic tile, basement renovation and corrective horse shoeing.

I'll be surprised when the dust settles after your claim settlement is netted out to zero he doesn't send you a bill for the .42cent stamp to mail you your net zero yield.

wait till OP finds out he has to pay HST on all his lawyers fees....

negotiating a settlement of that size within 1 year is very fast, on average they take 3-5 years because the insurance companies want to see what long term damage people have.

I am 11 month since I started a claim with a lawyer , today the Ins offered 100k 75/25 split with the lawyer

You know, there are always 2 sides to any story and we're reading 1 version of it now.

If I have signed, but maybe not thoroughly read or understood the contract, didn't bother to ask for a copy initially, didn't seem to understand the settlement process or calculation methodology I'd be a little hesitant to flame the lawyer via social media vs. just picking up a phone, calling him/her and trying to sort out/understand the issue in a practical manner. After that, if not settled to your satisfaction, might you want to move forward with some kind of complaint process. Do you realize that by naming them you've actually exposed yourself to a libel lawsuit? It costs a law firm virtually nothing to file a suit and it would cost you tens of thousands to defend against it.

Stop posting and sort this out offline.

Last edited:
That is what my experience was, and I don't need to lie. Had the lawyer dealt with this more appropriately I would not be wasting my time. I'm paying him to resolve my case, not only did I felt dishonesty in his part now coming to the end, but I'm shelling out extra resources just to take care of this issue with my time and my money. I've told him clearly to give me receipts of each expenses he had. I'm literally paying him $25,000 on top of my 30% contingency fee without proof. If I'm allowed to post the bill he sent me, I would. As a lawyer he should know better. I'm still waiting for his receipts, he said he would provide me in 4 days. These things should have been prepared in advance, I'd be checking every receipts he sent with my resources to verify validity. We will not accept anything that cannot be proved. If anything is suspected a potential fraudulent charge or abnormal, we will be accessing the bill with superior court of justice + complaint to law society of upper canada.

The $500 or $1,000 deductibles are for actual repairs done or proposed to be done to your vehicle. The $36,000 deductible is requested and approved by the FSCO, which regulates insurance in the province. This deductible isn't widely spoken of, because the ONLY people who "pay" it are those who are injured and make a claim.

I learned of it, when I spoke to my lawyer, at our very first meeting 2.5 years ago. It is yet again another symptom of the governments "promise" to lower insurance premiums, so they raise the deductible meaning the insurer pays out less. It also cuts down on people suing just to see if they "can make any money" IE sue for $50,000 without any real injuries to substantiate, a settlement.

Two things that sound alarm bells for me with the OPS story. You say your accident was only a year ago and your lawyer is already settling? Normally, "good" firms don't even file your suit against the other party until just before the 2 year limitation. They do this in the event your injuries get worst. I know I thought that is crap BUT 18 months after my collision, suddenly one of my fingers began to curl and stiffened at one of the joints. There was NO sign of injury until this began and it is directly attributable to my collision.

I can tell everyone here, (having spoken to more than one firm before I settled on one of them), the 30 - 35% is pretty standard. ALL costs, Photocopies, couriers, process servers, etc etc etc, are then tacked ON TOP of that 30 - 35%. So the second point of concern in the story is if they are settling within a year, without a lawsuit being filed etc, then the costs should be relatively low. I know my costs are already north of $10,000, but it has been 2+ years of battling the insurer to get my treatment plans approved etc.

OP when you said you didn't know if your treatment provider's, (physio and Chiro), had been paid, it sounds like you really didn't do ANYTHING on your claim but just relied upon the lawyer to do everything for you. You would have had to sign the treatment plans and your insurer, (once treatment is approved) is required to mail you a copy of the treatment plans. So either you got these and didn't pay attention to what you were getting or your insurer sent them only to your lawyer, (they are supposed to provide copies to your lawyer AND to you). Seems like you just let everyone else do the work for you and you didn't follow up at all to protect your interests, (just because you have a lawyer, you still need to monitor everything, YOU are your own best advocate, I have never spoken to my adjuster on my second claim, I leave it to the lawyer to do it all, BUT I follow up with emails, and ask the lawyer to explain if I don't understand anything).

i am also aware that I have the $36,000 deductible to deal with so we are suing for an amount which will take these "expenses" into account. Basically I told the lawyers what I NEED to get as a settlement, in MY pocket. It is then up to them to figure out their cut and settle for that amount.

You can ask the courts, to assess your file and they will give the lawyer a "fair" amount, but not permit them to just rape you. The lawyer must present the court with their full accounting of expenses etc, plus what is and what isn't permitted under the contract you signed. Your FIRST move is to request a copy of the agreement you signed to retain counsel. then see what they are permitted to charge and how these charges are to be calculated. Then ask the lawyer for a full accounting of all expenses, including billable hours etc.

Can someone explain how this deductible works, because it doesn't make sense to me, the way it's currently been explained.
With insurance, I pay my $500 deductible and my vehicle gets repaired in full whether the repair costs are $100 or $10,000. I don't pay my $500 deductible + the cost of repairs.

It would seem that the deductible discussed here is more like a minimum charge to avoid frivolous lawsuits, but then wouldn't the cost be $30,000 dollars or actual cost to represent, whichever is higher, up to a capped % of settlement? I must be missing something.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that does personal injury and it is always written in the contact.
He said standard is 35/65 check your contract.

I got into a non-at-fault accident last year, a taxi turned left at an intersection while I'm going straight through and cut me off. I fractured both of my wrists because of this. I posted my story here and someone on this forum approached me as a personal injury lawyer. It was contingency based (7:3) I only pay if he wins. Now after a year has gone past, the settlement reached the end, we are receiving over 100k in settlement. This is where I felt they are trying to trick you, last week he proposed I would be getting 35k out of the 100k cuz there were other charges relating to my case, asked if it sounded good. I trusted him so I didn't think too much, said it's alright. He asked me to give permission for the payment to send to the lawyers office, I said OK.

A few days later I re-think, how could it be so little... they are literally taking 75% out of my claim. At that point I felt extremely preyed on. This is also when things got sketchy. I sent him two emails 1) funds distribution record 2) my confusion over my allocation, but he never responded this time. A few more days gone by, that's enough for anyone who cares to respond. I decided to call him to see what was up and confirm the amount I'd be getting. He was reluctant to tell me this time, he said part of the reduction was legal fee (I thought OK, that's 30%), where's the rest 70%, I'm only getting 35%! He then went on how much invoices I had outstanding this includes photocopy, paperwork, admin, stuff that he needs to get done to settle this claim. The final amount I am getting could go up or down when he has all the invoices. Wow I felt completely insulted. I was never told there were any outstanding balance that weren't paid off. In fact my accident benefit claim covered all of my medical balance with a few grands to spare. It's impossible to tell what else is there for him to deduct...

Anyone has experience?:)

I have a buddy that does personal injury and it is always written in the contact.
He said standard is 35/65 check your contract.

Wouldn't 40/60 be better? Or 20/80 to avoid frivolous lawsuits?

Thanks I searched on the law society of upper canada, the lawyer is registered. I just sent him an email for the copy of contract.

I have discovered another terrible thing.... my accident benefit claim (settlement around 30k), 22k of which my lawyer said was my outstanding balance towards medical that i need to pay. This includes physio and chiro that I was treated with. Because of the current situation, I wanted to see if this is indeed true, 5 mins ago I made the call to my physio and chiro to confirm if I owe them anything. Shockingly my treatments were approved by my insurance company, they were paid.

You know Edward S. Pipella? Repeatedly voted as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Personal Injury Litigation.

You know Edward S. Pipella? Repeatedly voted as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Personal Injury Litigation.

Are you the ghost of Edward S. Pipella since he's been dead for over two years.

VsK3Y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom