Tips when buying a older used motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips when buying a older used motorcycle

bikepike

Hey guys what's are some good things to look at and some red flags when looking at an old used motorcycle, especially ones with low kms. I'm looking at one now that's an 04 with 5k on it but the spark plugs were recently changed which worries me, I get a feeling that the bikes km were rolled back because of that. Some things I would look are the tires, brakes, battery, inside gas tank, inside oil reservoir, forks, and how it idles/revs. Maybe I'm too paranoid any help is appreciated

Long story short, if you're not familliar with motorcycles, bring someone who is well versed. Lots of members here willing to help, typically.

Don't automatically assume an 04 with only 5K on it has been rolled back - there are LOTS of bikes out there that only average a few hundred K every year, and sometimes sit for long periods of time when owners loose interest or decide to not plate or insure for a year or three. My current bike was a garage queen when I bought it, had only a little over 1000K for every year of it's age.

But again, an experienced rider may be able to pick out the indicators - items that show far more than 5K worth or wear and tear, for example.

As for why the plugs were changed...ask. If it was sitting collecting dust for the last 4-5 years in someones garage it could explain not only the low mileage, but also why they may have decided to do a tune up to get it ready to sell.

Chances are nearly 100% it still has original rubber, so plan on replacing both tires - 12 year old tires will be hard, even if they're not cracked. Factor that into the price, coupled with the fact the riding season is coming to a close in another 8-ish weeks - it's a buyers market this time of year.

I have helped many members look at used bikes, if it's in the GTA I won't mind giving a hand.

Many manufacturers will have a parts section on their website.
Check the bike you are looking at against the availability of parts.
I almost bought a 20 year old low kilometre beemer garage queen years ago with a plan to restore it.
A quick check of the parts fiche showed a lot of "NA" for the parts I would need.
This would have required the purchase of a parts bike.
I passed.

PM Sent with a check sheet I put together for Friends.

Hey guys what's are some good things to look at and some red flags when looking at an old used motorcycle, especially ones with low kms. I'm looking at one now that's an 04 with 5k on it but the spark plugs were recently changed which worries me, I get a feeling that the bikes km were rolled back because of that. Some things I would look are the tires, brakes, battery, inside gas tank, inside oil reservoir, forks, and how it idles/revs. Maybe I'm too paranoid any help is appreciated

I have seen some claimed low mileage bikes in the used market and when I went to see them, they were just basket cases. Look for wear, the ignition key area when people use fobs, or key chains on their keys, will show wear marks. Brake pads, a really good indicator of how much the bike has been around the bend. I remember looking at one bike and the shifter and the rear brake controls were bent in, the owner was trying to tell me that they are supposed to be like that to make the easier to use. Then you look at the extreme parts of the bike to see where the bike met the pavement. The mirrors, the airdam covers, the fairings, the pegs, etc.

Also ask to see where the bike is usually stored. Is there a puddle of oil on the floor?

M

Let me tell you how you can tell if a bike is truly high mileage. Things like chips at the front from stones. Look lower.

Wear from pedals& levers. From their heels of their boots.

Accidental dings & scratches. Its inevitable over time

The tires was a decent hint; of mileage is low enough check the date code stamped on them. Also a low mileage bike is not usually ridden in foul weather so it should be really clean in the hard to reach place; cylinder head, under tank, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom