Looking for a new bed. Your experiences and recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a new bed. Your experiences and recommendations?

I know is all about the sleep but, do consider the other activities you do in bed.

Hot monkey love on a memory foam mattress can be the equivalent of doing it in quick sand.

They are great laying down but other positions you may find yourself sinking or you just done feel right. Or your significant other.

Assuming you've owned a "real" foam mattress previously?

How did you find the "stuck" factor - ie, did you ever find it a challenge to get out of it after it conformed to your body after a long period of non movement? I've heard that this is a problem with some, particularly the expensive ones like TempurPedic where after you're laying in one single position for a long time (presumably because, yeah, you're sleeping really well) that the mattress conforms so well to your body (and you sink somewhat) so well that it can be tough to get out of the "form" left behind.

Sorry no.
I wanna say ~$4k, but that would be a complete guess

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Gah! That is some serious coin and right up there with the high end Tempur with the temperature control properties. We can afford that but we want to re-do our downstairs bathroom later this year so I would like to keep the bed budget in the $3000 range if possible. We are going to go and check them out later this week and see what we think.

Well...

We went for a GTA outing today and ended up at Foamite. I have to admit this helped clarify some things and opened our eyes to others. We went there expecting to like one of the mattresses with a gel overlay or the Visco/Memory foam with gel infused into it. Instead... We LOVED the latex mattress and the Swiss Sensual which is an interesting mattress because it is essentially a latex mattress on one side but if you flip it then it is a visco foam mattress with a gel overlay on the other. So... You could use the latex part in the winter and the gel side during the summer. The gel overlay mattress has a little less "hug" than the infused visco mattress which is a lot like a Tempur mattress.

They had samples of foam throughout the showroom and once they give you the spiel and explain the comfort/support levels and show you the various mattresses they leave you alone to test at your leisure. It ended up working really well as we spent a lot of time figuring out what firmness we liked and which mattress we preferred. What is interesting is that they will make you a mattress with a different comfort/support level on each side and it does not affect the price. If you pick up a piece of their latex it actually has endemic heat conductive properties so there is no need to infuse it with gel or use a gel layer overtop. It also has channels in it but just touching the latex you can feel that it feels cool because it is conducting the temperature away.

Oddly enough the Swiss sensual mattress is a little more comfortable than the latex; but we both thought it was a subtle difference. Being able to flip the latex mattress every six months or so to get more life out of it and have a consistent feel might be nice. The latex mattress was just shy of $3000 before taxes and the Swiss Sensual was just shy of $3300 before taxes so about a $300 difference which is not a deal breaker to us. It would be possible to pick up the mattress and take it home in my car. Delivery to Guelph was not a reasonable option (I was quoted $200). If I went this route we would either have to find a taker for our older innerspring mattress for someone that wants a free one for a cottage or basement or just take it to our local dump. We have used a mattress protector since new so the mattress still looks brand new; but the springs and foam have compressed over the years.

There was a Leons around the corner from Foamite so we went in to see the Tempur again. Great sale on their Tempurs and as usual we found the medium version super comfortable. $2400 plus tax with a base and delivery! Trouble was this was not the version with the gel in the foam and after 10 minutes we could both feel ourselves getting hot. If they had a version of the Tempur/Breeze there and it was $3000 plus taxes we would have been tempted to hand over a Visa card and be done with the process. From what I can tell Sleep Country has an exclusive on the Tempur Breeze which complicates cross shopping.

Foamite is not cheap but from what I can see they use quality components in their mattresses and the "ingredients" all come from Europe, the U.S. or Canada. The Visco foam comes from the U.K. for instance.

On my next day off we will go to check out the Natura mattresses since there is a store in downtown Galt section of Cambridge. Weird thing though is that none of their latex mattresses have the latex below the mattress cover. They all use natural wool or other fibres as an intermediary between the latex and the cover. After seeing and experiencing how comfortable latex is and what a capable temperature conductor it is I do not understand why anyone would put more between your body and latex than you need to. Perhaps there is something weird or less comfortable about the latex which Natura uses? We are also going to check the new Dormeo mattresses out as well.

So... For now we have a 1, 1a, and 1aa situation. We like the Tempur Breeze, Foamite latex mattress, and the Foamite Swiss Sensual mattress. Interesting...

I think we are going to try an Endy. $800 CDN for a king, delivered to our door, with a 100 day $0 risk (they even pay return shipping) trial period. That's hard to beat on several fronts.

I think we are going to try an Endy. $800 CDN for a king, delivered to our door, with a 100 day $0 risk (they even pay return shipping) trial period. That's hard to beat on several fronts.

I agree. You cannot beat that. I also suspect that if you give the bed a chance that you will end up liking it. I have tried enough beds with that technology and they are all pretty comfortable. The iComfort by Serta is comparable and they want double the money. It is not double the bed... Marketing etc account for most of that difference.

The problem is that when you try something like that and then lie on a latex bed or something else then a perfectly good bed that you might actually love feels inferior in comparison. In an isolated trial like that I suspect my wife and I would be more than happy with the Endy. $750 for a Queen. Jeesh!

I could take my wife to check out the Endy because it seems like you can arrange a showroom trial from the website. Lots of things to do downtown before Christmas so we could add that to a day's adventures.

Well... We got some clarity. Went to snag a new office chair and since Sleep Country was in the same mall we went back and tried the new Dormeo sets and went back onto the Tempur Cloud Breeze.

The Tempur Cloud Breeze is still our first choice but some serious coin.

The new Dormeo are a HUGE improvement over last year's models. The old ones felt like you never found bottom and there was a lack of support to me. The new ones have an underlying level of support and they are very comfortable and -to me anyways- they represent decent value for what you get. The foam "spring" design allows them to stay very cool. The weird thing is that unlike the Tempur and other foam mattresses where you sink in; the Dormeo is more of a "float". It is kind of reminiscent of a water bed actually. You would have to try it.

We may have found a compromise solution. They are having a Sealy sale and this mattress is sort of "Tempur light" and it is right up there with the Foamite and Tempur. Another 1a sort of thing:

http://www.sleepcountry.ca/products...um-gold-valentino/language/en-us/default.aspx

Reg retail is around $3200 but is on sale for $1788. So, just over $2000 after taxes with free delivery. The only thing we would be out is $30 for them to recycle our old mattress and box spring if I do not find someone who wants to use them for a cottage or basement bed.

They also regularly have demo units on sale which can be a good deal. They do have a Queen Tempur Cloud which is one level down from the Tempur Cloud Breeze. This model still has thermo conductive properties; just not to the same extent as the Cloud Breeze. This demo unit is the better part of $1000 off but still some big money.

Hmmm.... At least there is some clarification in the process. For fun we will check out the Natura ones but those are a very different animal in construction. Will see what we think.

Sleepeez in Cambridge has two very inexpensive memory foam mattresses which make interesting options for a second bed, cottage, student etc. One is made by King Koil and it was $899 for a Queen and a second one was a no name option which was $699 (Queen).

We have tried so many foam mattresses that we can figure out pretty quickly whether it works or not. These were not up there for us but I bet they would work well for many and for well under $1000 tax in and delivered (Sleepeez is offering no tax right now).

Last edited:
We finally made a decision...

Went to Natura and tried out their options. Pretty good. Like Foamite they will make a mattress with two different comfort/support levels on each side. On their mid level model the mattress is a latex topper on top of a latex support layer. I suspect that this level of latex had more synthetic latex in it than the version sold at Foamite. The next level up with less synthetic elements in the latex is more costly than the Foamite. So... If you want a latex mattress the Foamite is pretty hard to beat.

Our number one choice is still the Tempur Cloud Breeze but no sales on that and more than we wanted to spend. Found a Tempur at Sleepeez that we liked. $300 off... No tax, free delivery, and free pickup of the old bed and box spring (some companies want $15 to $30 per item to recycle them). We even got a free mattress protector (a Protect-A-Bed/Health Guard knock off) and a deal on a Tempur pillow.

Shopping for Tempur is interesting... We have been to Sears, The Bay, The Brick, Leons, Sleepeez, and Sleep Country. Different qualities and pricing between them all. Same for the Sealy foam mattresses etc.

Coming tomorrow! No more worn out inner spring mattress. Woo Hoo!

One night in with the Tempur mattress and very pleased so far. I have not slept that well in a long, long time.

If you want to know why a breathable mattress protector is a good idea check out the state of the old mattress. Looks pretty much brand new! It may suck to sleep on but the protector kept the sweat etc off of the mattress. I also have a 6 year old memory foam pillow which is still holding up thanks to using a breathable pillow protector.

The bowling ball mattress indeed! Remember those adds? The mattress is so well designed that you could toss a bowling ball on the mattress and not move a pin? Nonsense! I swear I could catapult my wife into the ensuite if I jumped into bed! ;)

To Tempur's credit they make a nice looking mattress and box spring set. We ended up 86ing the bed skirt for a cleaner look with the box spring exposed.

In short there are a lot of foam mattresses out there. We really liked the Foamite mattress but to pay $200 to have one delivered to Guelph for a mattress only was not an option. Dormeo is an interesting technology and I can see a lot of people liking them. Apparently Sealy is owned by Tempur now and there is a nice foam mattress by Sealy available at Sleep Country. However, it is a bit too firm for our liking. There are two more versions available in the U.S. that we don't get here that may well give Tempur a run for its money.

I am hopeful we will get 8 to 10 good years out of this mattress before we need to replace it.

We are planning to buy the Endy king size in the coming days. I'll report back on our experience.

We are planning to buy the Endy king size in the coming days. I'll report back on our experience.

Sweet! I look forward to your feedback.

There are some really nice foam mattresses under $2000 retail which are probably Endy level of quality. My wife ended up loving the Tempur "hug" which nothing else was quite like.

The Latex mattresses are amazing. The are easily as soft as Tempur but the weird thing is that the foam has no "memory". As soon as you prop up the mattress is back where it was whereas the Tempur takes its sweet time going back to its original position.

I imagine there are some amazing spring tech mattresses but I am glad I switched to foam. It works for us. :)

I can suggest getting a Japanese futon, and sleeping on a hard surface rather than soft. Mattresses in general are bad for the body, they restrict fluids from flowing through small veins, since they get compressed, no matter what gimmick foam you get. You can always build/get a raised hard frame, or roll the cotton pad and store it away.

I started sleeping on the floor over a year ago because my mattress wasn't any good, and after hours cycling/riding no matter where I slept, nothing helped. After tonnes of reading and research, and learning the scam that mattress are to start with, I threw it out and hit the floor, best move I've made to date. The Cotton pad rolls up in the day, my room becomes an office later on. Sleep is much better after getting used to it, and the body wakes up feeling restored and properly aligned.

Some links that may help out.

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/sleeping-on-the-floor-5-life-changing-benefits.html

I don't have a Japanese bed myself, just a cotton pad. If I did have the cash, I would invest in one later.

http://myjapanesebed.com/japanese-bed-basics/

I can suggest getting a Japanese futon, and sleeping on a hard surface rather than soft. Mattresses in general are bad for the body, they restrict fluids from flowing through small veins, since they get compressed, no matter what gimmick foam you get. You can always build/get a raised hard frame, or roll the cotton pad and store it away.

I started sleeping on the floor over a year ago because my mattress wasn't any good, and after hours cycling/riding no matter where I slept, nothing helped. After tonnes of reading and research, and learning the scam that mattress are to start with, I threw it out and hit the floor, best move I've made to date. The Cotton pad rolls up in the day, my room becomes an office later on. Sleep is much better after getting used to it, and the body wakes up feeling restored and properly aligned.

Some links that may help out.

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/sleeping-on-the-floor-5-life-changing-benefits.html

I don't have a Japanese bed myself, just a cotton pad. If I did have the cash, I would invest in one later.

http://myjapanesebed.com/japanese-bed-basics/
I won't advise this for everyone. Everybody's anatomy is different.

I once had a super hard mattress & it slowly made me develop back problems. It took me a while to figure out.

For me a hard surface makes my muscles tense up & my spine is not flat. My buttocks is constantly under tension. If you move around at night alot it means that the mattress is not good for you. The perfect mattress for me is when there's no gap between mattress & my body. I also sleep on my sides so a hard surface will be bad for my hips

I won't advise this for everyone. Everybody's anatomy is different.

I once had a super hard mattress & it slowly made me develop back problems. It took me a while to figure out.

For me a hard surface makes my muscles tense up & my spine is not flat. My buttocks is constantly under tension. If you move around at night alot it means that the mattress is not good for you. The perfect mattress for me is when there's no gap between mattress & my body. I also sleep on my sides so a hard surface will be bad for my hips

It does take time for the body to adjust to the floor, and doing stretches every morning helps relive the tension over time, a good routine and habit. A Hard mattress vs floor are quite different, I can say that it takes a lot of time to adjust both the mind and body, once that period is over (like breaking in a new bike :)), it's hard to sleep on anything else.

I also mentioned the Japanese Futon to the OP, they are cotton batted and some over 5-6" Thick, and can last a lifetime if well cared for, and not as hard as directly on the floor.

A curved back is a good thing, like an arch on a building, the load is transferred to the rear shoulder blades and down toward the illiac bones. Supporting the back with a mattress, provides an upward force actually pushing the spinal column, and leaving the primary shoulder blades and illiac bones suspended. Picture a suspension bridge, now with the road pushed from below and the columns sitting in sand. The spinal column sends signals and fluids to rebuild the body while we sleep, mattresses slow down these fluids.

You are right, everyone has a different anatomy, that is largely a result of our environment, diet, and lifestyle. All of which greatly differ from individual to individual, sleep is more structural, and we all have the same bones. A good nights rest should support the primary bones in the body transferring the weight into a solid surface fluidly, which in turn transfers it to the ground/earth like any structure. Think of the primary contact points, head/neck. shoulder blades, hip bones, knees (supported by bolster to create an arch), and the feet. The weight of the body should pass from all 9 points into the "mattress" properly. All 9 points/areas of contact will harden over time when you sleep on the floor/hard surface, the bones get stronger like concrete over time.

Tossing and turning at night, could be other factors such as melatonin levels rather than the mattress, something mattress companies don't want you to figure out. Once again, that's related to environment, lifestyle and diet.

I'm just throwing points out not saying anyone choice or method of sleep is wrong/right, end of the day, everyone just wants a goods night rest ;)

I'm a side sleeper, and I have slept on floors on a variety of different things - it doesn't work for me, I wake up half crippled and certainly not well rested which is the more important part for me given the nature of my job.

I'm a side sleeper, and I have slept on floors on a variety of different things - it doesn't work for me, I wake up half crippled and certainly not well rested which is the more important part for me given the nature of my job.

My wife is a side sleeper and... unfortunately has Multiple Sclerosis which reared its ugly head last year. Our old bed was creating a hot spot of sorts and it was not accommodating her shoulder. She is sleeping better on the Tempur and because of the way it allows you to sink somewhat you end up with more contact between the mattress and your body and with the forces distributed across a wider area you end up with less pressure. Her symptoms have lessened somewhat and she has more energy now because she is getting a better night's sleep. She normally has needed a daily nap and has only had one nap since the new mattress. This is still early days but already things are awesome with the new mattress. I am side sleeping more and consequently I am snoring less which can only be a good thing for my poor wife. We also don't feel each other moving in bed or notice when one gets in or out of bed so those sleep interruptions have been helped as well.

Life PrivatePilot I drive for a living although I don't do OTR trucking anymore. Doing that I learned to be able to sleep anywhere. There were several foam mattresses I would have been more than happy to go with but my wife's needs obviously had to be accommodated and if she is happy then life is good. :)

Why does everybody ignore a good boxspring under the mattress these days? Not sleek enough for the cellophaned art next to the bed crowd? No labels attached to them?
Yes even with a latex memory foam bowling ball proof gel underlay mattress...a boxspring still helps.

And I just assumed everybody used couches for crazy monkey sex (futons just don't hold up to the abuse).

So, we had kinda decided on the Endy but then things got pushed to the back burner because of some other expenses.

We went back to their website recently to get the order put together...and surprise surprise, the price went up $100 - now the king is $955.00 after it's all said and done with taxes and all that. Yeah, there's some easy to find $50 off discount codes out there, but that still leaves it costing over $900.

So, screw that. Instead after a few nights of searching, reading reviews, and talking to one of my wifes coworkers who's had one for a year now and swears by it (and apparently she's picky) we just now ordered the one linked below from Amazon.ca.

This one in particular is a hybrid mattress - foam and pocket coils together.

https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Brands-10-5-Inch-Innerspring-Mattress/dp/B00LJ7CUKQ

(link corrected)

The reviews are almost universally positive everywhere we've looked, not just Amazon. Apparently it feels and sleeps like a 100% foam mattress and it's suggested that the hybrid build may actually be more supportive in the long term. 10 year warranty as well from a reputable manufacturer, Classic Brands.

And $449 all in delivered to our door (for a king sized mattress!) it's a hard one not to bite at especially with the Endy being $450 more now.

I'll be sure to follow up when it arrives.

Last edited:
^^ It arrived today. I'll post photos and thoughts later.

The FedEx freight guys just dropped it on the porch when nobody was home, so no fees or taxes were due in the end. So yeah, $450cdn all in delivered to our door. Cool.

Back
Top Bottom