Looking for a new bed. Your experiences and recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a new bed. Your experiences and recommendations?

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
I realize that a choice of mattress is very personal and subjective.

However, I am finding it difficult to figure out what is what with beds nowadays.

For instance, we are both open to a foam mattress or a foam hybrid mattress. Check out the Serta iComfort. Trouble is that it is hard to research and price shop because they make different versions for the various chains with different construction and specs to boot!

If price were not object I think our top choice right now would be a Tempurpedic model in the Tempur-Breeze line. Tried several different ones out and I found a difference in the ones with the cooling gels throughout the foam. Made for a colder feeling mattress. My wife has M.S. now and gets really hot at times without any real pattern so a colder feeling mattress would likely help her.

We also tried out some Dormeo mattresses but they were an older design and it never felt like you had an underlying support like the Temper does. Go to check out the newer ones at Sleep Country but the model numbers the Dormeo are sold under there do not correspond with any model numbers on Dormeo's website!

So... Looking for a recommended place that would deliver to Guelph. If price is good enough I can get a truck and pick it up myself anywhere in the G.T.A. if the savings are good enough.

For foam what are other good options to look at after Tempur and Dormeo?

There are two things you should never skimp on...your bed and your shoes. If you find one you're comfortable with, spend the money.

There are two things you should never skimp on...your bed and your shoes. If you find one you're comfortable with, spend the money.

This is great advice...

As it is my first pick would be the Tempur with the gel cooling technology. If I knew that the bed would hold up for about 10 years then I would have no problem with the cash outlay. However, it is a 5 year wonder then that is a different story.

I bought a Saatva, based on 15000 google reviews. I did not buy foam type mattress.
the whole industry is based mostly on bs at retail. I can get any of the name brands as well very cheaply. Foam types are the most bs in terms of pricing unless natural latex, which is very expnsive .

Buy any mattress that offers free 90 or more day trial in your home with full refund!

BB

Last edited:
I do my mattress shopping at Costco. They let you return the mattress if there is EVER an issue. No fuss. If it sags before its supposed to, call customer service and they will send a truck to take it back. No more getting stuck with a mattress that doesn't live up to its own warranty. I currently have an all foam memory foam mattress. I love it. Its a vortex of time and space. There are a lot of reviews online of most of the popular mattresses.

I'm really strongly considering one of the order-online foam mattresses like Endy (http://endysleep.com/) or Foamite (http://www.foamite.com/), both Canadian companies.

We've always bought from some of the bigger chains but haven't had great success getting decent quality...it seems after 3 or 4 years we're noticing a lot of sag that really shouldn't be happening on a $2000 mattress, for example. And yeah, that $2000 mattress is likely $1800 in profit for the stores - the markup seems utterly ridiculous.

Costco may be an option as well but I'm strongly considering Endy or Foamite simply for the mail order convenience, and Foamite has a low/free rework program for their mattresses if need be.

a048e3acdea5e275c9a94eaa8e151712.jpg

The cuddle mattress

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I should check these guys out too. I used to have a sales agency and rep'd some of their medical chairs:

http://www.thefoamstore.ca/factory_pricing.php

Worth a look along with the aforementioned Naturaworld stuff and the Canadian online options.

Appreciate the feedback.

Anyone want to offer an opinion of what they are using? Kingsdown?

One thing to consider with the foam mattresses is what temperature do you keep your room at? If you keep it cool, the foam mattresses get firmer with colder temperatures. We had to return one for this exact reason and buy a traditional coil mattress.

I know is all about the sleep but, do consider the other activities you do in bed.

Making love on a memory form mattress can be the equivalent of doing it in quick sand.

They are great laying down but other positions you may find yourself sinking or you just done feel right. Or your significant other.

I've found the best approach is a good coil mattress with a decent cover. Kingsdown is made right here in Toronto.

You can even have the mattress have one side plush and the other form of so desired.

I prefer firm. The better half prefers plush. We went firm and have a mattress cover and it works well.

I know they tech has evolved with foam but, I still find a sweat too much with foam.

I also ride a Harley so, my preference for dated design and function is bias.

Pretty sure tempurpedic is owned by Serta for the last few years. Reputation for quality is excellent. And pricing rarely drops for the Tempurpedic model lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went in to check out the Foamite mattressea a few years ago, nice, but pricey.
Time before last we bought a Simon & Fraser from Sleep Country mix and match sale. Still cost close to $2k. Last mattress we bought while Costco had them on coupon. ~$500 for queen euro top. Best mattress I have had. And if it only lasts 5 years? I will have gotten my money's worth. Fwiw this is going on year 3 and still no sag. And I'm 260 lbs.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I went in to check out the Foamite mattressea a few years ago, nice, but pricey.
Time before last we bought a Simon & Fraser from Sleep Country mix and match sale. Still cost close to $2k. Last mattress we bought while Costco had them on coupon. ~$500 for queen euro top. Best mattress I have had. And if it only lasts 5 years? I will have gotten my money's worth. Fwiw this is going on year 3 and still no sag. And I'm 260 lbs.

Hey, do you remember a ball park price for what the Foamite mattress cost? My wife has shown an interest in their products so I might take her for a little road trip to check them out.

Hey, do you remember a ball park price for what the Foamite mattress cost? My wife has shown an interest in their products so I might take her for a little road trip to check them out.
Sorry no.
I wanna say ~$4k, but that would be a complete guess

I bought my Sealy Posturpedic mattress from bad boy. Part foam, part spring. Was on sale & the price was right. The first thing I would do when I get a new mattress is get a cover. Mines waterproof & just love it.

I however, built my own bed. I was tired of all the engineered wood out there. The wood look soft like cracker jacks!

4b748e27b8e634455734812f9b94ea59.jpg

c6001aaf9c5848a97073d0f31e470c79.jpg

339e97bff1992ca1dc44c17c4ff6b225.jpg

9d8590dfcd7f74882e6f4e367e794070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom