Any owners of 2016 CX-5 and Tucson? Pros and cons? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any owners of 2016 CX-5 and Tucson? Pros and cons?

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
I'm trying to decide on my next car - I'd love to stick with Subaru Outback (because that's what I have now and it serves me well, getting old though - 15yrs) but they are a bit overpriced and the base engine feels weak, whereas the H6 is above my budget and the fuel economy is just not there.
Plus all the 2016s are sold out and it's difficult to get a good deal on 2017s.
Forester is also a bit much for what it has to offer and I'm not huge on the styling.

Therefore I am looking at AWD Mazda CX-5 2.5 and AWD Hyundai Tucson 1.6t.

I test drove both and they seems very similar.
Handling was slightly better with Mazda, Hyundai seemed to have a touch more power. Interior a bit nicer inside the CX-5, Tucson looks a touch more modern when it come to the exterior, etc.

Was wondering if anyone who owns these (2016 models, especially Tucson because it was redesigned that year) has any input.

Last edited:
I own the new Tucson 2.0 and I had the same dilemma as yours. I don't recommend the 1.6T, there were a lot of issues with transmission n electronics. Not sure why Santa Fe turbo was good but the Tucson wasn't.

CX5 gives better feedback on the steering wheel, def better when you drive on the twisty roads. As a result, the car isn't very good in absorbing the bump. Tucson is more comfortable and fuel consumption isn't bad either, averaging 14 km/L.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own the new Tucson 2.0 and I had the same dilemma as yours. I don't recommend the 1.6T, there were a lot of issues with transmission n electronics. Not sure why Santa Fe turbo was good but the Tucson wasn't.

CX5 gives better feedback on the steering wheel, def better when you drive on the twisty roads. As a result, the car isn't very good in absorbing the bump. Tucson is more comfortable and fuel consumption isn't bad either, averaging 14 km/L.

Hope that helps

The earlier 2.0 turbo had issues too. The 2.0T was also in the Sonata so new on the scene

so weird, I haven't thought about new cars in a decade and during my lunch hour managed to narrow my choices down to a few, including the CX5 and the Tucson. Or just lease an RX350 like my co-worker, because I can afford the payments, right?

I love the RX especially the new design but not worth the money. I'm done with gasoline car, can't wait to get my Tesla.

RX350 looks like a retarded soap dish on wheels. Soap dish crossed with Darth Vader.

2.0 Tucson was a bit sluggish for my liking. Liked the 1.6t a bit better but not a fan of 19" wheels and weird tire sizes. Leaning towards CX5 though at this point.
Mazda's trim levels and options make more sense to me than Hyundai's.

Last edited:
RX350 looks like a retarded soap dish on wheels. Soap dish crossed with Darth Vader.

2.0 Tucson was a bit sluggish for my liking. Liked the 1.6t a bit better but not a fan of 19" wheels and weird tire sizes. Leaning towards CX5 though at this point.
Mazda's trim levels and options make more sense to me than Hyundai's.

Check the maintenance schedule for both. Find Mazda require more frequent visits.

Liked the Tucson. Think it has a better quality reputation. Better warranty. Decent price point.

Didn't purchase. Wife went with Kia Soul for other reasons. I would have gone with the Tucson. Her car, her choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest with you, I have never looked at any maintenance schedule on any vehicle I ever owned.
I change engine oil on regular basis, other than that fix or replace stuff as needed, check other fluids once a year or so, unless they leak.
There's really nothing else that you need to do frequently, no matter how much the dealership may try to scare you. They sure like charging people $300 though - for a mineral oil change and topping you off with $2 worth of windshield washer fluid.

I will probably test drive both cars again, before I make my decision. In no rush. Ford Escape looks much better for 2017 as well, may be another option for me.

I honestly have no experience with either. However I'm looking for a small used SUV type. I'm finding with the used Mazdas, many seem to be blowing engines and turbos. Unsure if this is a big concern, or only with older models or what. Frickin internet reading.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Mazda seems to have improved a bunch since their divorce from Ford.

However, I have been looking at the VW Golf wagon recently. No AWD available (yet) but I started questioning my need for it. Size wise it is about the same as my 2001 Outback which suits me fine. Storage space is more about length than height, which once again is perfect considering the type of things I usually throw in there (snowboards, bikes).
0% interest up to 5 years, and the MSRP is generally a bit lower than most CUVs.
Engine felt more lively then both CX-5 and Tucson.
I have never considered a VW before so a bit uncertain here.

VW is great. Had two for work. Both were Diesel. One of the best highway cars. Great steering, great seats, decent cargo, 120 k kms trouble free kilos on both.

Only caveat from my wife's pov was the low driving position. I didn't mind. And now? She misses them. The new gassers are nice.

I honestly have no experience with either. However I'm looking for a small used SUV type. I'm finding with the used Mazdas, many seem to be blowing engines and turbos. Unsure if this is a big concern, or only with older models or what. Frickin internet reading.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Bought my '08 Mazda CX-7 new. I now have 215,000km's on it. In that mileage I've replaced one set of brakes (front/back) and one rear swaybar link ($40). That's it (not including engine oil and tires). I do full-syn oil changes every 9,000km (that's Mazda recommendation on no stop/go driving). Car has never been to Mazda for their "Maintenance Schedule". I have oil changed at a local shop close by and I take a look around underneath each time it's up in on the hoist for any issues. No rust anywhere and still looks like a new car. Still has the original battery too!
Internet stories would suggest major turbo and timing chain issues but this vehicle has been great for me.

Bought my '08 Mazda CX-7 new. I now have 215,000km's on it. In that mileage I've replaced one set of brakes (front/back) and one rear swaybar link ($40). That's it (not including engine oil and tires). I do full-syn oil changes every 9,000km (that's Mazda recommendation on no stop/go driving). Car has never been to Mazda for their "Maintenance Schedule". I have oil changed at a local shop close by and I take a look around underneath each time it's up in on the hoist for any issues. No rust anywhere and still looks like a new car. Still has the original battery too!
Internet stories would suggest major turbo and timing chain issues but this vehicle has been great for me.
Thanks for that. I find the people with issues post everywhere, good experiences not so much. It's hard to tell if it's really a big deal or if you're only getting one side of the story.
I currently run a 2010 Mazda and love it for what it is.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Any car with turbo may require extra maintenance. People neglect it and then blame the vehicle.

Turbo failures are almost always due to poor oil quality and extended intervals. Both cars would be good choices imo, as would the VW, but service cost will be higher and reliability can be hit and miss depending on engine/trans choice. FWIW the Mazda's I service have had no major failures and I've always felt they are quite reliable, but do invest in some rust protection (probably best with either choice)

What about the 2017 Kia Sportage? Wickedly equipped for the price.

Good call. One and the same with the Tucson. Both are built on the Hyundai/Kia QL platform and the choice is really down to which style you prefer

I purchased the VW. No interest for 5 years and liveliest engine of all the cars I tested. 12 year manufacturer rust warranty.
I'll see how I do with no AWD and only 5" clearance though.

I managed 4 winters in 2 VWs and they handled it well. Good set of winter tires.

Grown clearance was only an issue when I was lazy and didn't shovel the lane way.

Drive? Never a problem.

I managed 4 winters in 2 VWs and they handled it well. Good set of winter tires.

Grown clearance was only an issue when I was lazy and didn't shovel the lane way.

Driving? Never a problem.

Back
Top Bottom