Spark plug reading | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spark plug reading

gtarider6

Hi, so i've posted a thread about my motorcycle randomly dying on me a couple times while riding the other night. (2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500)
I decided to check the spark plugs. I set the multimeter to 20k Ohms, and got a reading of 3.56 on one and 4.02 on the other. Can someone tell me if these are normal readings?

That is not a spark plug test I am familiar with. If you're trying to evaluate their condition, remove them if you haven't already and look at the ends. Mostly you're looking for one of two extremes - a wet plug (has gas/oil on the electrode) or a burned plug (white appearance, possible specks). It can otherwise be varying shades of brown/black and you'll have to get a palm reading expert to discern much from that. Other things possible are poor installation (gapped wrong, electrode bent) or wear (little left of center electrode - generally only possible with copper plugs on bikes)

Last edited:
ohmygawd your not supposed to post while riding

If those are D9EA NGKs (or equivalent) they won't be "resistor" plugs and thus should have a pretty low resistance between the terminal and the centre electrode. If that's what you're measuring -- terminal to centre electrode -- and you're seeing a few ohms that's probably normal. You can't really test the dielectric strength (i.e. how much voltage the insulation between the centre electrode and the body can withstand) without specialized equipment except perhaps by inferring a problem due to misfiring etc.

Plugs are cheap. If you suspect they're bad just replace them. I'll opine that randomly dying is not generally a sign of bad plugs...

Hi, so i've posted a thread about my motorcycle randomly dying on me a couple times while riding the other night. (2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500)
I decided to check the spark plugs. I set the multimeter to 20k Ohms, and got a reading of 3.56 on one and 4.02 on the other. Can someone tell me if these are normal readings?

Those are typical readings and your spark plugs cannot be the cause of your problem. If you are losing power sporadically I suggest you have a loose ground somewhere on your bike. Does it cut out when you hit bumps?

Those are typical readings and your spark plugs cannot be the cause of your problem. If you are losing power sporadically I suggest you have a loose ground somewhere on your bike. Does it cut out when you hit bumps?

Agreed. Could by a faulty ground or it could be the cables are just worn out (depending on the age of the bike).
Spark plugs are not expensive. Replace them. If the problem persists you know the cause lie elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom