Common electrical issues with 20088 Kawasaki Vulcan 500? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Common electrical issues with 20088 Kawasaki Vulcan 500?

gtarider6

So I planned an amazing road trip for the long weekend, and decided to take my bike out last night to make sure it was running fine before the big trip. About a half hour into the ride, I noticed it was making popping sounds when I braked. At one point when I was going around 70 kmh, I noticed it lose power and the speedometer just drop, and then it completely died on me. I managed to start it up, but it did this to me again twice more before I made it back.. The last time, I was seriously considering towing it because I couldn't get the engine to turn over after about 4 tries.
When I got home, I tested the battery with a test light and it didn't indicate any issues. I just had the battery replaced about a month ago, originally I suspected it was a battery related issue, since when the bike died, the lights also went really dim. But the battery seems to be fine and I'm getting normal readings on the multimeter. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be?

I was considering an issue with the fuel delivery, but that doesn't really explain why the lights dimmed when the bike died?
Any suggestions would be helpful!

Possible issues:
1. battery bad: no matter that it is new. A test light is not accurate enough. It could have 12v but under load it drops.
2. Regulator rectifier bad/going: As you ride your bike is not recharging the battery. After 30 minutes the battery's amps have dropped sufficiently that it shuts the bike off. The low battery makes it hard to restart using the starter. You could bump start it. To test this theory, start your bike in neutral, put multimeter on battery, rev to ~4krpm, read battery voltage, which should be at ~14-15v
3. Bad gas: but then why were you able to ride for 30 minutes, then have an issue, then be able to restart the bike and ride home?

My guess (and only a guess) would be rectifier / regulator. Try #2 above.

most likely #2 as TorontoBoy said...either way PM Frekeyguy.

I have the same bike. About once per month I need to tighten the battery connections. When they get loose, the engine dies and none of the electrics work, believe it or not.

I have the same bike. About once per month I need to tighten the battery connections. When they get loose, the engine dies and none of the electrics work, believe it or not.

They still use batteries for bikes in 20088?!?! Damn looks like humanity has reached it's peak in engineering and tech :(

Back
Top Bottom