What are blue plates? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are blue plates?

The reason I asked is that I have seen Ont. motorcycle dealer plates that were miniatures of the car dealer plates.
White background. The "Ont" in black.
The letters and numbers in red.

The reason I asked is that I have seen Ont. motorcycle dealer plates that were miniatures of the car dealer plates.
White background. The "Ont" in black.
The letters and numbers in red.
I have seen those as well now that you mention it. Newer issue maybe?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I did a little research.
At one time in Ontario, motorcycle dealer plates were blue with white numbers.
They have been up-dated to white with red numbers, but if you still have the blue plates, they can be renewed.
Car dealer plates were orange with black numbers, but these have been replaced with white with red numbers.
The orange plates can continue to be used but the MOT is trying to phase them out.
An old timer was telling me about motorcycle plates from the 1960s. They had 3 plates in those days.
One on the back and one on either side of the front wheel.
You would get your new plates in April because then you would only have to pay for three-quarters of the year.

Last edited:
Just a slight correction, Diplomatic plates, (Red, with white letters), are issued to ANY diplomatic staff who apply for them, doesn't require Diplomatic Immunity, to obtain one. At one time as a police officer, you were given the list of letters, (first letter of the plate), which were issued to diplomats of communist nations. You then called a special number to the RCMP to report the location where the plate was observed...lol

For many years, dealer plates in Ontario were orange with black letters and numbers.
They are now white with red numbers and letters.
The red plates with white numbers and letters are diplomatic plates.
They are issued to embassy and consular staff who have diplomatic immunity.

Just a slight correction, Diplomatic plates, (Red, with white letters), are issued to ANY diplomatic staff who apply for them, doesn't require Diplomatic Immunity, to obtain one. At one time as a police officer, you were given the list of letters, (first letter of the plate), which were issued to diplomats of communist nations. You then called a special number to the RCMP to report the location where the plate was observed...lol

I lived in Ottawa for awhile in the late 1970s.
You would see the red diplomatic plates all over the place and always parked illegally.

Back
Top Bottom