What are blue plates? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are blue plates?

Saw an ad for a bike with it on here.. Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue plate refers to the colour of the letters on the plate. Blue=street legal, green=off road only. A "blue plated" dirt bike is considered to be more valuable and these days rare. For the most part, the govt put a stop to this in 2007.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

You also have a black plate, which is a white plate with black numbers and letters.
These are for commercial vehicles.
Don't see many black plate motorcycles. :)

If you have a really old bike you can also register a Year Of Manufacture license plate....if you can find one.
59yom_mc-100x68.jpg

http://ontplates.com/faqs/

What about a blue plate with white letters? Seen that on a bike once or twice.

You also have a black plate, which is a white plate with black numbers and letters.
These are for commercial vehicles

AFAIK White/Black plates (as you would commonly see on heavy trucks or many pickup trucks) are not available for motorcycles...simply not an option.

What about a blue plate with white letters? Seen that on a bike once or twice.

I believe those are the older motorcyles that have the year of manufacture plate.
This is an option that is allowed for older bikes by the Ministry of Transportation as described by Riceburner above.
I believe your bike has to be 30 years old to qualify (open to correction).
The year of manufacture plate program can be used instead of getting an historic vehicle plate.
CAREFUL. Back in the 1960s, motorcycles in Ontario had 3 plates. One on the rear and one on either side of the front wheel.
If you buy a YOM plate and someone has already registered that plate for their antique bike, you are s-o-l.
Only one bike per plate number.

IIRC dealer plates are red.
I've never seen a red dealer plate, only blue with white numbers. Certainly not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one.

I've never seen a red dealer plate, only blue with white numbers. Certainly not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one.

For many years, dealer plates in Ontario were orange with black letters and numbers.
They are now white with red numbers and letters.
The red plates with white numbers and letters are diplomatic plates.
They are issued to embassy and consular staff who have diplomatic immunity.

i wasat mackies HD and there was a blue plate with white letters on a new bike sitting out side.
I saw a 2010+ S1000rr a couple days ago on Avenue with a similar plate. Size was a tad smaller tho.

These sound like the plates we had in the old days, before stickers.
They were blue with white numbers and letters.
You didn't get a sticker, you had stand in line at the MOT and get a new plate each year.
I forget when this changed, but it was sometime in the early 1970s.
I don't see how a new bike qualifies for an old plate, but I'm sure there 's an explanation.

Blue plate refers to the colour of the letters on the plate. Blue=street legal, green=off road only. A "blue plated" dirt bike is considered to be more valuable and these days rare. For the most part, the govt put a stop to this in 2007.

Let me correct you blue is a dealer plate ask me how i know

Let me correct you blue is a dealer plate ask me how i know
Read the thread. "Blue" refers to the colour of the letters, not the background. In this case it's white background with blue letters, and that's a street legal motorcycle plate. Further on in the thread we discuss blue background with white letters and acknowledge the fact that this is a dealer plate.
But how did you know?

Read the thread. "Blue" refers to the colour of the letters, not the background. In this case it's white background with blue letters, and that's a street legal motorcycle plate. Further on in the thread we discuss blue background with white letters and acknowledge the fact that this is a dealer plate.
But how did you know?

Am I reading this correctly?
Motorcycle dealer plates are blue with white numbers and letters?

Back
Top Bottom