Abandoned Rail Trail ride St Thomas area | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abandoned Rail Trail ride St Thomas area

I can commit to Sun. I would trailer from Brampton, 10am somewhere in St. Thomas area is fine with me.

I'm riding up with a buddy from KW so it sounds like 5-6 of us committed to this Sunday. Are we agreed on Tim's as the meet point?
Lastly the time. Is there anyone who can't make 10am?

10am is fine. That Tim's doesn't look great for trailer parking, but I guess we can take over the parking lot. haha... You're sure there's enough parking at the trail head?

10am is fine. That Tim's doesn't look great for trailer parking, but I guess we can take over the parking lot. haha... You're sure there's enough parking at the trail head?

Sorry hadn't thought of parking at the trail. I planned to start at the junction of Lyle Rd and Blind Line just west of town. Just google street viewed it and see no signs that prohibit parking. It's a rural side road so I can't see the harm - again not a lawyer.

As for the Tim's I think there at least two more. Figured they're easy to find and this one was closest. If there's a more trailer friendly one that somebody prefers it's cool.

Last edited:
I would rather stay off roads if possible my bike isn't exactly fully street legal

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Maybe we can park at this public school https://goo.gl/maps/iptNWaea4Lz
I'd really rather not park my new truck and trailer in the middle of nowhere. At least the school is across from an old folks home.

Park where ever you feel comfortable with. That's fairly close. It will be Sunday so I can't see a problem.

That's what I was thinking too. So we'll still go to Tim Horton's for a break after the drive and to meet up, then head over to the trail.

That's what I was thinking too. So we'll still go to Tim Horton's for a break after the drive and to meet up, then head over to the trail.

I agree. We meet at Tim's gassed up ready to ride for 10 then head over to the school to unload.

What bikes are people riding for this should I bring the 1190ktm or the 250 husaberg?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have friends who ATV in the area, (mom lives just outside of St Thomas), the rail bed is NOT legally open to motorized vehicles. If they see you and there is an issue, (locals call in complaints), the OPP will lay a charge. But they don't patrol it nor go 'looking" for infractions.

I suspect as long as there isn't a HUGE group and your following all the other rules, (stopping before crossing roads etc), you should be ok.

Hmm... well that doesn't sound good. The last thing I want to do is add to the problem (people hating dirt bikes and shutting down our places to play).

Yeah ... I agree, not something I feel like dealing with. I mean locals are one thing (they know what's going on or not, and many locals know who they are), but bunch of strangers? Maybe it's nothing, but I don't feel like driving for 2hrs just to have a day spoiled ...

I have friends who ATV in the area, (mom lives just outside of St Thomas), the rail bed is NOT legally open to motorized vehicles. If they see you and there is an issue, (locals call in complaints), the OPP will lay a charge. But they don't patrol it nor go 'looking" for infractions.

I suspect as long as there isn't a HUGE group and your following all the other rules, (stopping before crossing roads etc), you should be ok.

Not sure I'm buying this. When I mentioned this ride to a guy at the bike shop he said this runs near his house in West Lorne and people are using it all the time.

As I originally stated we rode it 2 years ago with no problem and saw lots of others out as well.

That said it's a free country so everyone has choice to make.

Who's still up for this?

Scuba Steve I'm riding my KLR659

Last edited:
GSXR Girl and I are out this time. We need to find out for sure if it's legal or not.

It could be true that dual sport guys run it often, but to show up on a bike and just turn into the rail bed is a bit a different than bunch of trailers pulling up with dirt bikes, that always draws attention, unfortunately.....

If I lived 30 mins from the place I surely wouldn't mind give it a go, but to drive for 2hrs and having to rent a trailer, takes too much effort for uncertain result.

If you go, pls post how it went etc.

I just googled street viewed a bunch of of the places where the rail line crosses various roads and there is not a single sign posted. If people want you out they ALWAYS put up signs.

I've personally ridden this and had no problem. The sky is not falling.

I'm coming from St Marys with a friend (maybe his brother and 1 or 2 others) Who else is still planning to go? I won't head to Tims if there's no need.

Could you please indicate where to catch that rail trail? I'd like to explore that tomorrow if the weather is as promised. Thx.

Maybe 8 of us did this last year, no issues at all. But it does change things when you have to return to your trailer.
You guys need to trailer up to Simcoe County, the trails up here are fantastic and legal. The county Forrester's have been really good working with the club, every area has a nice parking spot, all trails are clearly marked and are purpose built for biking, it doesn't get much better.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom