Auto tech blue wall? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Auto tech blue wall?

inreb

Site Supporter
Coincidence or conspiracy? My little truck started wobbling down the road, regular driving and on the brakes. So I took it in for a bunch of work. After, the truck still wobbled down the road. I took it back to the mechanic for a test drive. He cleared it as "Honestly, it feels fine" See ya.
I took it to another shop for a second opinion. He said he couldn't feel anything untoward. I was stunned.
I went to a tire shop for new shoes. 90% of the wobble it now gone and when the winter steel wheels come in I expect that to be 100% because they found one bent rim.
So why didn't the first two shops acknowledge the wobble even tho I was in the passenger seat?
Is this normal?
More importantly, tell us stories about dishonest business practices you've endured.

I have found that when it is this type of thing it is difficult to convince a shop of the problem. Generally I do not believe this to be malicious just difficult for them as they don't have the prior frame of reference you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tend to agree. It might be a can of worms they don't want to deal with. Like trying to chase a "noise". No quick money in that. To much possible for unhappy customer. But to blatantly say they don't feel anything while the shifter is bouncing like crazy takes some chutzpah.

Easier than saying "hell of a shake you got going there, but I don't want to touch it because you don't want to pay me the time it would take to diagnose". Which I can't blame them because drivers expect to hear the problem will be fixed for $x and done, or they suspect you're not a qualified mechanic, or scamming people, if you need fancy-pants "diagnostic time".

You lucked out that the problem was related to the tires that you had to change anyways (that should have been your first stop TBH). Well, 90% of the problem. Imagine if one of the other mechanics had only fixed 90% of the problem, how many customers would return?

Thats similar to how we expect politics to work BTW, which is why they have to lie to get elected.

Easier than saying "hell of a shake you got going there, but I don't want to touch it because you don't want to pay me the time it would take to diagnose". Which I can't blame them because drivers expect to hear the problem will be fixed for $x and done, or they suspect you're not a qualified mechanic, or scamming people, if you need fancy-pants "diagnostic time".

You lucked out that the problem was related to the tires that you had to change anyways (that should have been your first stop TBH). Well, 90% of the problem. Imagine if one of the other mechanics had only fixed 90% of the problem, how many customers would return?

Thats similar to how we expect politics to work BTW, which is why they have to lie to get elected.

You're very astute. The second guy I took it to, I said to him "I have a shake and I want to hire you to test drive it" I then made an appointment for one week out. When I showed up he had obviously forgotten the "I want to hire you part" because he completely balked at the suggestion of a test drive. He was actually visibly annoyed. It was then that I told him about the previous work done (he asked who but I declined) and what I was after. To his credit he listened and then headed straight for my tires and ran his hand along the inside of the front passenger tire "feel that?" these tires are shot. We took a test drive and I paid him about 1/2 hr. I guess.

I don't trust when you say nice things. It feels like you're making another joke that I don't get.

Again with the astuteness. Well done. Lol, but seriously, I'm on a be nice to people jag right now. Consider yourself in the right place at the right time.

Again with the astuteness. Well done. Lol, but seriously, I'm on a be nice to people jag right now. Consider yourself in the right place at the right time.
If the tide starts changing, everybody run for higher ground.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

On a nice to people jag? I wouldn't have noticed.
I don’t really have any personal stories about the thread topic, but I do recall a guy telling me about lasik where they promised him 90% success rate only to not be even close to that.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Case 1 was a GM dealer charging me $50 to tell me they couldn't tell me what the problem was but if I bought a new set of tires they'd try again.

At the time Canadian Tire worked best for me and since I was due for new tires I went for a new set. The mechanic drove my van into the shop and came out immediately to tell me I had a wheel bearing problem. Duh GM?

Case 2 The same Canadian Tire told me (For $35) that I needed a new alternator for the wife's car. However when I revved the engine I could see the headlights get brighter telling me it was charging. A local alternator shop confirmed the alternator was fine and did it free. Sometimes batteries just die.

A week later I got a "Customer satisfaction" call from Canadian Tire and I voiced my complaint. Apparently they only react to good reviews.

Went to a GM dealer with a car that had been up on a jack in my garage 1hr previous when I noticed the Pitman arm was oddly loose on a car with 17,000kms. They charged me a $55 test drive to confirm the Pitman arm I could wiggle with my hand was the problem.

VW sold me a $450 vacuum booster for my brakes, then also fixed a leaking piston on a rear caliper.....

My moms car had an oil leak that required the intake and heads to come off a GM V6 to repair, $1600 later it still leaked, they then wanted to change the rear main seal, They told her is hard to pin point a leak on an older motor, yes the car was 12 yrs old, but had 21,000kms and you could eat off the motor.

There is a case to be made for establishing a relationship with a single shop/technician here; knowing you, and more importantly, your vehicle and it's history, does wonders for quality of work received in return for your hard earned dollars.

I would say I absolutely believe in the single shop/tech relationship and in the past have enjoyed that and the benefits. My 'guy' was a one man, sometimes two operation and was very good and fair, but he likes to go on holiday a lot and being a nice guy had a lot of work, he would never hit a deadline.
I seldom have a vehicle now over 3-5yrs and usually my fixes are warranty work, the dealerships seem impossible to build a relationship with.
My GM issues were on my moms car, she liked the guys at Midas that would sort out her tire monitors that never worked correctly.

If can't pass simple chutzpah test do not apply for BARF (best auto repair forever).

If can't pass simple chutzpah test do not apply for BARF (best auto repair forever).

af64a880071e5df4528c54bd97358ea3.jpg

$60/hr

$75/hr if you watch

$100/hr if you help

Back
Top Bottom