Ducati Reliability | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Reliability

Clem

I currently have a 2013 BMW R1200 with just over 180k on it. It’s been as far south as Costa Rica and as far north as Alaska. It’s been rock solid and even the final drive - normally the weak point - has not been replaced.

I’m probably going to change it in 2017 but a new one is such a ridiculous price. Having said that the 2013 has held its value really well so that will help

The other bike I like the look of is the Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro. I had a ride on a standard Multistrada at a GP bikes demo day and compared to the BMW price it’s a bargain.

Has anyone owned one and how reliable has it been. Touchy/feely wise it just seemed as though all the controls and buttons were very cheaply made. I was hoping it didn’t transfer down to the engine and chassis.

TIA

Thanks. Yes, I saw those. I'm looking for more of a "been there done that" perspective. Have anyone ever put 100k on one?

Well since it is a 2016 I doubt anyone has racked up 100,000 on one yet but here is a guy that had a duck for 10 years.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,117945.0/topicseen.html#.V8oH-JgrKUk

Ducati is a well known and long time company. And considered an upscale brand. I would imagine their products are high quality although any manufacturer can have issues. The main complaint I hear about Ducati is service and parts are expensive.

Last edited:
I think Ducatis are pretty easy on tires. The sides anyway.

Other than the spun rod bearing on the Ducati in my garage, I suppose its been reliable? The 5799km it racked up was trouble-free! That last kilometre, not so much...

Yours is just broken in at 180000. Might as well keep it as most will just walk around it. Most Ducs are Garage Queens and have never seen a Duc with the mileage I see on most BMWs.
Have you tasted the orange Crush? KTM 1290

Last edited:
You seem like you enjoy your BMW. Why not stick to it?

Inbox Wingboy. Think he owned a later year model and sold it. I could be mistaken. From what I understand it was a good machine.

I have a KTM Super Adventure 1290 and I bought it because the BMW with similar specs was more than $7k above the price I paid. I'm happy with it. It has a few warranty issues but nothing major but most new models do. The thing I've heard about the Ducati is the expensive service on it. I saw the enduro in GP Bikes and it's a nice looking machine for sure.

wingboy had a supermoto, but he got old and sold it, hurt his wrists?
if your thinking another 180,000k i'd bite the bullet and go BMW.

Ducati= expensive service, cam belts on a regular basis and dubious long term reliability, especially electrics.
Keep the BMW...

wingboy had a supermoto, but he got old and sold it, hurt his wrists?
if your thinking another 180,000k i'd bite the bullet and go BMW.

All the air cooled models are super simple to keep in tune.Changing belts takes no more than a couple of hours.I have had an 02 track only 944.Never a problem.(except crash damage)And Ewan Brown runs it in Soar now.My old 2002 Supersport had 28k on it when i traded it for a 09 Hypermotard 1100S.My arthritic wrists couldn't take the ergos of the SS anymore.The SS was picked up by HommedeFerre.He put another 30k on it till he hit a bear in NY state.Another buyer bought the wrecked bike and fixed it up (all cosmetic) It's out west now with over 80k on it.Motor is still all original.I sold the Hypermotard to buy my Ossa and get back into trials competition.Ducati had a bad rep from the early days just as Harley did when it made basketballs.
If BMW had a better dealer network i would trade my Wing for a Beemer in a heartbeat.The Beemer's have far better ergos than the Honda.All the reports of drive failures are just internet crap.

And yes..i'm getting older.Get off my lawn!

I have to say I really like that Multistrada enduro. I think they hit a home run with the styling on that.

I also have a 2013 r1200gs With about 90,000km's. Had the seal in the final drive done twice :(

My friend Sid has a 2012 Multistrada. It's been ridden 100% on the road. It has about 80,000 miles (it's a US bike so I guess that's around 120,000km) and the motor it's self has been very reliable. There were a few small problems that were addressed under warranty. The only big problems were, as the OP suggested, electrical. He's had to replace the switch gear a few times and had some wiring harness and rectifier problems. He is buying an enduro next year so that should tell you something

I feel your pain about the BMW price. I've had a 2006, a 2010 and a 2013 but the new ones are a real premium over the competition. I have also found the dealer network poor. As stated above the KTM is definitely worth a look as well

180k on a GS is not enormous mileage. Check over on ADV rider there are boxer motors with way more miles than that and there are some great posts about the original Multistrada and the new enduro from owners.

If you have service records it will sell, but Is it worth squeezing another couple of years out of the BMW until they release the new one? Just a thought

For some fun Duc reading google "Gary Eagan Ducati".

If I can put 100k+ plus on a Ninja 250 riding it at redline majority of the time and chasing down supersports I think a Ducati should do just fine...

Just yesterday I did 600km+ with these guys and old Red just doesn't skip a beat

14203149_10154042681829403_6518547137616785599_n.jpg

Last edited:
If I can put 100k+ plus on a Ninja 250 riding it at redline majority of the time and chasing down supersports I think a Ducati should do just fine...

Just yesterday I did 600km+ with these guys and old Red just doesn't skip a beat

Awesome!

i am at about 30k km on my ninja and i am about to throw it off a cliff - fantastic bike, great for beginners, teaches you the proper riding technique and dare i say i become a better rider than some of those starting on 600cc. - hell if not more than a toy like the VW Golf

- on a side note - the the MV AMG start? or sputter? - i kid, i kid is a nice looking and sounding bike

Back
Top Bottom